HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I think it would make far more sense to use the old north end rail ROW boundaries and run new lines parallel to Barrington as far as Scotia Square/Cogswell. If you wanted to get really ambitious, make Hollis one lane for vehicles, one lane for rail, getting rid of the parking and bike lane, and do the same northbound on Barrington to form a loop down around Terminal Rd.

Hey, it's only money...
That would be pretty ideal, though looking at Viewpoint it looks like the ROW and rails only go as far as Duffus now. Beyond that... there's a big honkin' assembly hall in the way, plus I'm sure security considerations at the naval yards have changed since the days the rails were there. So south of Duffus you'd probably have to run the rails along Barrington?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
That would be pretty ideal, though looking at Viewpoint it looks like the ROW and rails only go as far as Duffus now. Beyond that... there's a big honkin' assembly hall in the way, plus I'm sure security considerations at the naval yards have changed since the days the rails were there. So south of Duffus you'd probably have to run the rails along Barrington?
The shipyard assembly hall is the biggest obstacle for sure. You might have to go elevated for that stretch but you'd probably want that for a station between the shipyard and the dockyard anyway. Beyond that heading southbound you could probably find enough space for a line, and the more I look at the satellite view of Barrington and Hollis, it looks almost like the end of Hollis where it curves around Cornwallis Park was originally designed for such a thing.

Barrington used to be one-way northbound from Spring Garden so I don't know if making it that way from South St to Cogswell would be that big of a hardship. Why our esteemed Council has not been doing much on this basically forever remains a mystery.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 5:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
The shipyard assembly hall is the biggest obstacle for sure. You might have to go elevated for that stretch but you'd probably want that for a station between the shipyard and the dockyard anyway. Beyond that heading southbound you could probably find enough space for a line, and the more I look at the satellite view of Barrington and Hollis, it looks almost like the end of Hollis where it curves around Cornwallis Park was originally designed for such a thing.
Halifax sorely needs a transportation authority with a decent budget that can look at long-term projects and compare different types of projects, whether they are for transit or private vehicles. It is unlikely that regional council will ever get anywhere without delegating this to people who are more knowledgeable and more focused on transportation, and it's unlikely that projects will be chosen well while there are balkanized groups that each have little fiefdoms like the bridges or buses and ferries.

If a competent transportation planner simply had a decent budget in the hundreds of millions of dollars (suitable for a city the size of Halifax) and looked at the region, all kinds of opportunities would be obvious. Building some small rail extensions or elevated tracks are not a big deal. The rail cut was built through semi-developed areas 100 years ago. With proper planning and organization, much larger projects could be tackled today.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:39 PM

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...et-green-light

Quote:
INFOGRAPHIC: Halifax councillor says commuter rail may soon get green light

Coun. Tim Outhit says commuter rail for the Halifax Regional Municipality has “never been closer.”

Frustrated commuters may get some relief in the near future if Outhit’s prediction is correct, as the city is set to consider commuter rail as part of the overall Integrated Mobility Plan study.

Outhit, who represents District 16, Bedford-Wentworth, said the study is coming to council’s committee of the whole in the first week of December.

The IMP touches on many aspects of municipal transportation in general but also will include data on rail service along the corridor from downtown to Windsor Junction.

“It’s going to look at active transportation, cycling, bus rapid transit, bus lanes, and I’m pretty confident that it’s going to recommend commuter rail in this corridor,” Outhit said.

Commuter rail has been discussed and studied for years as a potential means to mitigate traffic snarls into and out of downtown Halifax. A feasibility study completed in 2015, conducted by CPCS, suggested how it would work through several scenarios, including how far the system would extend and what rail cars could be used. It concluded the concept would be feasible but was too expensive.

https://infogram.com/d6bf7400-426d-4...9-2c4963ac0ac6

But in 2016, Via Rail approached HRM with a proposal that would bring both the startup and operational costs down.

“Via’s come along and said, ‘Listen, we can work with you and get that pricing down significantly,’ so that is the opportunity with Via,” Outhit said, adding that he and Mayor Mike Savage went to a recent meeting of Via Rail’s board of directors.

He said the studies are basically done. The proposal just needs data on access capacity and the pricing from CN, which owns the existing rail structure. He expects that will come sometime early in the next year.

While Outhit couldn’t say it’s definitely going to happen, he sounded confident that the data will point in that direction.

“It’s never been closer,” Outhit said. “I can’t tell people we’re going to have commuter rail. I can tell them there’s never been better support from a willing partner like Via, we’ve never had more council and public support. And staff support. We’re going to have the IMP recommending that it’s probably the best way to go in this area.”

He said once everything gets a green light, it could be up and running within a year to a year-and-a-half.

Tim Hayman, webmaster and board member for the public transportation advocacy group Transport Action Atlantic, welcomed the news that commuter rail may be going forward.

“Certainly on our part, we’d be very happy to see that.” Hayman said. “The commuter rail thing is something that we’ve been particularly supportive of, partly because of the clear benefits that come from that as something that provides potentially a much more efficient and environmentally responsible form of transportation. And certainly (it’s) an option that is far superior to all of those cars that are plugging up the Bedford Highway coming in.”

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 4:24 AM
BANNED

With the planned start up of commuter rail, if it is a success, would we see the abandoned lines become reactivated?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 1:05 AM

This is the first of two major posts regarding Halifax Transit.

ROBIE & YOUNG STREETS TRANSIT PRIORITY

Halifax is looking for feedback regarding proposed changes to Robie and Young Streets to allow for dedicated transit lanes. These changes would tie into the lanes planned for Bayers Road and stretch east and south to Inglis Street. Most of the corridor would either see dedicated cubside transit lanes or centre median transit lanes with on street bus stops at major intersections.

Shape Your City - Transit Priority Corridors

Document showing Robie and Young Street changes

Personally I think Young Street needs transit lanes in both directions. As for Robie Street curbside and centre median lanes are both acceptable as long as its in both directions. Access to my residential street would be restricted in the centre median option but I can live with having to turn left off of Robie Street almost 1km north if it means I can rely on transit to get me places quicker.

As for timing of these upgrades I think it should be;

- Gottingen Street in 2018 (northbound dedicated lane)
- Bayers Road & Young Street in 2019 (dedicated lanes in both directions)
- Robie Street between Inglis & Halifax Commons in 2020 (centre median lanes)
- Robie Street between Young & Halifax Commons in 2021 (centre median lanes)

Robie is going to be a big change and if the high investment is chosen it would be Halifax's first centre median transit lanes. This considered I think they should construct the easier southern section first while purchasing the properties for the northern section. In the meantime transit could relocate the bus stops as routes are adjusted as part of Moving Forward Together.

In other news Windmill Road now has transit priority from Windmill/Victoria to Akerley (approx. 1.4km) outbound and from Seapoint to Wright inbound. Future improvements would require purchasing property so I doubt anything else will be built soon but the investment so far is great. Buses in the p.m. peak are significantly quicker than regular traffic and nothing quite makes you hate that stretch of road as a driver like seeing a bus fly past you.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:36 PM

I was prepared to blast this as more HRM waste and while I think the Young St proposals probably are, I was stunned to see the city actually looking to widen some of the cartpath streets elsewhere, especially the section of Robie between Almon and Cunard. Actually knocking down the house on the corner of Robie and North and removing the trees to eliminate a longstanding bottleneck in that stretch. Bring it on! Then the next step would be to do the same for North St.

Of course, we all need to prepare ourselves for the protests and people chaining themselves to trees, etc. as we saw with the minor changes to Chebucto Rd a few years ago.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
I was prepared to blast this as more HRM waste and while I think the Young St proposals probably are, I was stunned to see the city actually looking to widen some of the cartpath streets elsewhere, especially the section of Robie between Almon and Cunard. Actually knocking down the house on the corner of Robie and North and removing the trees to eliminate a longstanding bottleneck in that stretch. Bring it on! Then the next step would be to do the same for North St.

Of course, we all need to prepare ourselves for the protests and people chaining themselves to trees, etc. as we saw with the minor changes to Chebucto Rd a few years ago.
I think the Young Street improvements are probably worth it, especially if it improves access control.

Fundamentally I think the high-investment options in Robie are a really good idea. I'm struggling to overcome my sentimentality and what it would mean in terms of building loss. At the same time, that area is already changing anyways (and will even more so under Centre Plan), and now is the time to get transportation improvements. Luckily for the City, Rob Steele already did a lot of the work being the "bad guy".

Last edited by IanWatson; Feb 2, 2018 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 5:51 PM

The other thing I missed were the planned changes for Bayers Road. Halleluah!!

http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax...ree-areas.html

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 7:38 AM

I've noticed a couple intersections now have traffic lights specifically for transit priority. Specifically these ones, where after the red light, the bulb that is usually green changes to this:

I saw these at the intersections of Lower Water/Duke, and Spring Garden/Summer. Maybe these aren't new but I saw them both for the first time within the span of two days.

My issue is that I've never actually seen these lights before and was pretty confused when I first saw it. Luckily a bus was there to go ahead and make me realize what it was. But I wonder about other drivers who will get confused by this signal too. Was there anything mentioned in the news ever about the implementation of these lights?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 2:52 PM

There has been one of those at the bottom of North St where it meets the MacDonald bridge for 20 or so years. I have seen others as well, so they aren't new overall but it sounds like more locations are getting them.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 3:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
My issue is that I've never actually seen these lights before and was pretty confused when I first saw it. Luckily a bus was there to go ahead and make me realize what it was. But I wonder about other drivers who will get confused by this signal too. Was there anything mentioned in the news ever about the implementation of these lights?
I certainly wouldn't know what that particular signal would mean.

I wonder as an out of towner if I could plead ignorance to the local constabulary........

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 1:23 PM

The North Street one has a sign that says "Transit Signal in Effect", though it's on the left side of the road and doesn't really show a picture to suggest what that means.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The North Street one has a sign that says "Transit Signal in Effect", though it's on the left side of the road and doesn't really show a picture to suggest what that means.
Many major cites in Canada and USA have them. Not sure about NS, but other drivers tests have those in their driving test books.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 5:58 PM

Sorry for the delay but here is part two of Halifax Transit upgrades.

Effective Monday, February 19th, the Alderney Ferry will run on 15-min frequencies from 7am - 8pm on weekdays. Evening runs after 8pm will have 30-min frequencies.

Halifax Transit - Service Adjustments

The Annual Service Plan for 2018/19 has been unveiled.

Halifax Transit - Proposed 2018/19 Budget (2018/19 Annual Service Plan in attachments)

The changes this year focus on the Fairview-Clayton Park-Bayers Lake-Timberlea area. All of the changes are planned to occur in August but in case they aren't there are four sub-groups that could be done separately.

Grouping A
- New corridor Route 3 Crosstown
- New local Route 28 Bayers Lake
- Route 52 Crosstown replaced by new Route 3 Crosstown, new Route 28 Bayers Lake & Route 64 Akerley
- Increase service on Route 64 Akerley

Grouping B
- New corridor Route 2 Fairview
- New local Route 30 Clayton Park West
- Route 2 Wedgewood replaced by new Route 30 Clayton Park West and new Route 2 Fairview
- Route 4 Rosedale replaced by new Route 28 Bayers Lake and new Route 2 Fairview

Grouping C
- New corridor Route 4 Universities
- New local Route 39 Flamingo
- Route 16 Parkland replaced by new Route 30 Clayton Park West and new Route 39 Flamingo
- Route 17 Saint Mary's replaced by new Route 4 Universities
- Route 18 Universities replaced by new Route 39 Flamingo and new Route 4 Universities
- Route 42 Dalhousie - Lacewood replaced with new Route 4 Universities

Grouping D
- New Express Route 123 Timberlea
- New Express Route 135 Flamingo
- New Express Route 136 Farnham Gate
- New Express Route 137 Clayton Park
- New Express Route 138 Parkland
- New Rural Route 433 Tantallon
- Route 21 Removal of Downtown portion
- Route 23 Timberlea/Mumford replaced by new Route 123 Timberlea
- Route 31 Main Express replaced by new Route 138 Parkland Express
- Route 33 Tantallon Express replaced by new Route 433 Tantallon
- Route 34 Glenbourne Express replaced by new Route 138 Parkland Express
- Route 35 Parkland Express replaced by new Route 135 Flamingo Express & new Route 136 Farnham Gate Express

And last but not least some preliminary plans for BRT - Bus Rapid Transit have been developed and are out for public feedback.

Shape Your City - Bus Rapid Transit

My vote for the first to open is the Ridge Valley - Universities route. Granted I think until Armdale and Herring Cove Road can be made transit friendly I think it should terminate at Mumford Terminal for the time being. This route would utilize the proposed changes outlined in my previous post along Bayers Road - Young Street - Robie Street. All of the other routes would get stuck in major traffic jams unless some serious investment is put into road upgrades.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Halifax Transit is seeking feedback on its options for pursuing transit lanes on Bayers Road and Gottingen Street. The high-cost option for Bayers Road is a transit lane each way from Romans Avenue to Young Street with some road widening mostly between HSC and Romans. To improve efficiency the HSC entrance would be upgraded with a new access road and traffic lights at Connaught and Roslyn. This would eliminate the dual left-turn lane and possibly the entire set of traffic lights. On Gottingen Street no road widening would be necessary. The high-cost plan there would see a dedicated northbound bus lane from Cogswell Street to Charles Street (~100 metres south of the North Street). All parking would be removed and a couple of pedestrian half-signals would be installed to control flow.

Shape Your City - Transit Priority Corridors Plans

Shape Your City -
Transit Priority Corridors Surveys

I made it to one of the open houses and filled out both surveys. Option 1 is my preferred choice for both streets and this coming from being a pedestrian, cyclist, and transit user. I don't mind sacrificing a few seconds if it means I can see a full bus getting priority.
Staff is recommending approval of the northbound transit lane on Gottingen Street. If this direction is appoved by Regional Council in the next few weeks construction would take place in August/September of this year!

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...80222tsc81.pdf

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay but here is part two of Halifax Transit upgrades.

Shape Your City - Bus Rapid Transit

My vote for the first to open is the Ridge Valley - Universities route. Granted I think until Armdale and Herring Cove Road can be made transit friendly I think it should terminate at Mumford Terminal for the time being. This route would utilize the proposed changes outlined in my previous post along Bayers Road - Young Street - Robie Street. All of the other routes would get stuck in major traffic jams unless some serious investment is put into road upgrades.
Just from an "outsider" looking in, this feels like a very progressive approach for Halifax and I hope that it spurs some good ol' fashioned TOD. It seems solid but watch out for the funding bits and bobs; Winnipeg is having a difficult time finding the funding for it which is more of a reflection of the municipal and provincial government than anything else, but still keep an eye on the funding for BRT.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:39 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The weekday boarding (plus alighting) statistics for the corridors are pretty impressive. 44,650 for Spring Garden Road and 28,550 along Barrington.

There are many transit corridors with more than buses than have similar or lower ridership. Total weekday ridership for the Portland OR streetcar is 16,351 for example.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Staff is recommending approval of the northbound transit lane on Gottingen Street...
I understand some local businesses and residents on Gottingen are upset that more buses are being added to the street that don't stop on the street - they don't like that it's proposed to become a bus highway (and are suggesting a way to get the buses that pass through without stopping onto Barrington St. instead because it's already similar to a highway).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Staff is recommending approval of the northbound transit lane on Gottingen Street. If this direction is appoved by Regional Council in the next few weeks construction would take place in August/September of this year!

Regional Council approved the Gottingen Street Transit lanes last night.

They will be peak period only (4pm-7pm) and allow for parking and loading at other times.

Transit Priority Corridors: Gottingen Street

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure