HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 5:18 PM

I like the bridge. It adds character to downtown. I'm a fan. Just a couple more non-attentive or lost truck drivers might bring it down anyway! As far as the remand....I say tear it down. Start from scratch. I cant imagine it being used for anything but a shelter. Which is not a bad thing. But the density of another social agency in the neighborhood could upset some people. I don't know what the cost for conversion to condos would be or the cost of tearing it down. But I assume it would be substantial.

Last edited by Black Star; Oct 21, 2015 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 5:52 PM

Mixed market income housing - I know the trend right now is to try to move things throughout the city, but if it isn't working fast enough, why not? How does the city of edmonton manage subsidized housing anyways?

Also, holding judgement until it is done and I can see it as a pedestrian.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
Well our RAM definitely won't be the ROM... But it will be good addition to neighbourhood. Much better than post office obviously... Still think the underpass has to go. 100%. Community garden or not it creates a barrier both physically and psychologically between downtown and Chinatown.
I agree that it feels like a barrier between Chinatown and Downtown but it is only a perception. The real barrier is the fact that no development has happened in the few blocks North of the underpass in as long as I could remember. It is a huge contrast to Downtown visually just like everything East of 97street before Hyatt popped up. If the underpass is removed some of the perception will be removed as well; but if some nice dense development happens like the Pacific Rim mall towers, you will not even notice the underpass.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 9:10 PM

If I recall, there'll be a route through the RAM connecting DT with Chinatown at grade.

Now, tree lined boulevard it won't be, but you won't have to pass under the bridge.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 10:12 PM

Maybe Ken has mentioned that but I don't recall - its Qualico land.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Maybe Ken has mentioned that but I don't recall - its Qualico land.
we are in the process of working through all of those details - and including them as part of an updated dp application - with the ram and the galleria projects and the city (an active and ongoing discussion for some time and for the foreseeable future).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 6:50 PM

now for an actual construction update.

thank you to ledcor who is doing the ram for the photos and to pagnotta for the consent to show their work:

sorry they're so large but if you're going to be that wicked you might as well go big or go home...

there's another four here (also ledcor photos with pagnotta consent): https://www.facebook.com/ken.cantor/...53480349377872

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 9:02 PM

Royal Alberta Museum prepares for the move downtown
Artifact conservation and a sneak peek inside the new Royal Alberta Museum

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...town-1.3407345

Includes nice vid of the big stairway

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 1:45 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Royal Alberta Museum building in downtown Edmonton takes shape
By Vinesh Pratap Reporter Global News
January 25, 2016 5:00 am

EDMONTON – It’s a project that’s received little attention since construction started, but the new Royal Alberta Museum building is making its presence known.

“Probably six months from now, seven months from now, we’re going to take possession of a finished building,” Chris Robinson, executive director of the museum, explained.

Robinson recently gave Global News a tour of the busy construction project...

http://globalnews.ca/news/2472144/ro...n-takes-shape/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 2:15 AM

Edmonton, we can't lose the RAM to the wrecking ball
http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...-wrecking-ball

Quote:
It is an idea so wasteful, so stupid, you have to hope it’s a daft publicity stunt.

Last week, the Alberta government issued a request for proposals, to demolish or “de-construct” the elegant Royal Alberta Museum building, and turn its site into “green space.”

That’s right. One of Edmonton’s most beloved public buildings, with its clean lines, its Tyndall stone cladding, its sumptuous marble interior, might soon be nothing more than heap of very expensive rubble.

Alberta Infrastructure isn’t putting out any sort of tender looking for ideas for reusing the building. It hasn’t consulted the Glenora community league or the city. It hasn’t explored a potential land-swap with another order of government or public institution. The province says demolition is only one potential option. But right now, it seems to be the only option under active consideration.

The irony of taking an exquisite work of architecture, specially built to preserve our heritage, and just destroying it, it is so grotesque, it’s hard not to laugh. Or cry.

The RAM was built in 1965, at a cost of $10.5 million — that’s roughly $80 million in today’s currency. Designed by Australian-born architect Raymond O. Harrison, it was a centennial gift from the federal government to the people of Alberta. Warm, welcoming, filled with light, it was built with the kind of materials and craftsmanship you just don’t find in public buildings these days: terrazzo and granite flooring; solid oak doors and banisters, trimmed with brass; marble walls; even marble bathroom partitions. Inside and out, it’s also home to a remarkable collection of modernist sculpture and artwork, some of it literally carved into the walls.
Quote:
Yes, deferred maintenance has taken a toll. The leaky building needs a new roof. It needs new boilers and chillers. It needs new elevators. It needs someone to deal with its asbestos, its lead, its mould. Staff are still using the facility as they prepare for their new building. They won’t actually move out completely until late 2019 or early 2020. But then, the building will need a new raison d’être.
Quote:
Imagine, instead, the possibilities for reusing it. It comes with a 417-seat theatre, a commercial catering kitchen updated in 2012, classrooms, board rooms, large reception spaces, offices for 100 people. Could it be a new home for Athabasca University, perhaps? A city museum? A community arts facility, with studio and display space for visual artists, rehearsal space for live performers, and a theatre/recital hall? Given its connection to burgeoning 124 Street, its place on a future major bike-way, and the LRT stop planned four blocks away, surely we can find a higher, better use than “green space,” in an area with no shortage of parkland.

Brad Ferguson, president and CEO of the Edmonton Economic Development Corp., envisions a perfect conference centre, what he calls Canada’s Camp David. And he says the EEDC would love the opportunity to manage such a facility.

“Let’s pause. Let’s take the time to do something great,” says Ferguson. “Good solutions come through collaborating, and we would love the opportunity to understand the goals of Alberta Infrastructure and share some of our needs at the same time. Sometimes good solutions are just a phone call away.”

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:43 AM

I wonder what a good reuse would be. The galleries are about 10,000 square feet each. For convention space could blow out the floor to give them some good height and reduce the amount of space (doubt you could run 4 rooms of meetings at once given the parking). Keeping both levels probably means you'd need sound proofing as well. In an ideal world you'd tear down the support area facing 102 Ave and put in a hotel. I doubt either a hotel or that much convention space there would be useful but if someone is willing to sign a 99 year lease who am I to argue.

Subdividing into artist studio space if it is found people are willing to be there without many windows might be interesting. U of A space instead of the Galleria? Massive work sharing space for startups?

In the end the site has the same problems that led to the relocation in the first place: too isolated. The two nearby LRT stops will be 1 km away.

It should at least be set up for long term non-use. We might want it around in 20 years. Even use as a government surplus centre would be better than a hole in the ground.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 9:35 PM

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilman View Post
The box the art gallery came in?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 7:03 PM

https://twitter.com/RoyalAlberta/sta...75383594172416

Quote:
We’re building a #Mastodon for our new museum!
Height: 9'5" (elephant-sized)
# of resin parts: 117 #MuseumOnTheMove

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:17 AM
Community Guy

NAIOP tour tomorrow, can't wait.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 11:26 PM
Community Guy

Was fortunate to have a tour today with NAIOP, LEDCOR, Dialog Architecture (with Donna Clare herself!). What a massive massive building, ~410,000sqft or about 210,000 we will see and use if I recall. The main entrance/lobby/stair is fantastic, as is the future Children's gallery and outdoor stage. One neat feature of the cafe will be the Canada Post Building mosaics being installed in the identical location that they were before as part of the cafe terrace. The rest is typical space design as expected. A treat indeed and certainly the building and its new location will be an amazing asset to the Downtown, our City, the Region and our Province. Looking forward to the grand opening in December 2017. Bravo!

Outdoor Children's stage!
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...psmmxoynym.jpg

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 2:29 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Very nice, mildly jealous.

A buddy of mine told me an interesting story about the challenges they had trying to make forms for that staircase...

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 12:34 AM
Community Guy

Yeah, we heard a few as well

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:39 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 8:39 PM

Are there any plans to liven up the north face of the structure?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton