HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 8:39 PM

Portland New Year celebrations

Was searching citysearch and other various sites and couldn't find if there is a main Portland city-sponsored event for New Years.

Is there at least something remniscient of a ourdoor party to ring in the new year? I don't expect there to be fireworks and a major ball to drop off any building, but anyone know of any notable events?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 10:51 PM

In years past there has been a New Year's celebration in Pioneer Courthouse Square, but I think they canceled it last year for some reason.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
In years past there has been a New Year's celebration in Pioneer Courthouse Square, but I think they canceled it last year for some reason.
That blows, I am betting its not going on this year since I've searched and found almost nothing...

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 10:42 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

check the WW and Portland Mercury for stuff to do. A lot of people go to Pioneer Crths Square anyways, and countdown by themselves (last year it was packed with people... we all just stood around and had a good laugh counting down from our cell phones). A lot of bars have champagne too so you can have a bubbly right afterwards...

...or you can spend like 40 bucks to go to a club. Ehh... been there done that, way too overhyped.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 5:06 PM

Gotta thank Potter for the lack of a Portland New Year event. Hopefully the next Mayor will see the benefit of a large community gathering in downtown.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 6:31 PM

Yea I'll be going to a house party with friends instead of wasting time for a non-existant event, or spending too much money on cheap alcohol at a vastly overrated bar.

Did Potter cut a lot of community events or something??

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 6:52 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckles View Post
Yea I'll be going to a house party with friends instead of wasting time for a non-existant event, or spending too much money on cheap alcohol at a vastly overrated bar.

Did Potter cut a lot of community events or something??
The original New Year's celebration was eliminated in 2001 due to fears of terrorism. Since then, no mayor has restarted it... and Potter's just kind of on cruise control, as he hasn't initiated much of anything during his time in office.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 10:06 PM

^I went to one a couple years ago. I believe Katz brought it back in '02. Two years ago was when I thought Potter ended it for good.

Last year there was some midnight marathon at the square.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion