HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 7:31 PM
Just wanna see the world!

Anybody here attend PSU?

Hi all.

I hope to attend (well maybe) PSU and was wondering if anyone could provide some feedback on the school. I hope to major in Community Development with a minor or two. Just thought I'd ask around and see what people on here had to say. You know the website is biased towards the positives. Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 9:16 PM

Considering how most posters here are boosters of PSU I thought I'd step in and give my honest opinion of Portland State.

Well, strictly speaking, PSU is a nice school if you have neither the time nor the money to attend the two other (and in my honest opinion) better state schools (U of O & OSU). It's a huge step up from the for profit schools, like ITT or University of Phoenix, which cater to people who cannot attend a university under the typical circumstances (re: have children or family to take care of, or simply cannot go full time).
The best description is from an article in The Portland Mercury, as Portland's only 4-year Community College.

In other words, if you already live in Portland or are moving to Portland for reasons other than PSU--go for it. If not, I strongly recommend you consider somewhere else.

Last edited by Snowden352; Jul 25, 2008 at 9:17 PM. Reason: can one give dishonest criticism?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden352 View Post
Considering how most posters here are boosters of PSU I thought I'd step in and give my honest opinion of Portland State.

Well, strictly speaking, PSU is a nice school if you have neither the time nor the money to attend the two other (and in my honest opinion) better state schools (U of O & OSU). It's a huge step up from the for profit schools, like ITT or University of Phoenix, which cater to people who cannot attend a university under the typical circumstances (re: have children or family to take care of, or simply cannot go full time).
The best description is from an article in The Portland Mercury, as Portland's only 4-year Community College.

In other words, if you already live in Portland or are moving to Portland for reasons other than PSU--go for it. If not, I strongly recommend you consider somewhere else.

How recently did you attend there?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 12:10 AM
A before E

it use to be more of a 4 year community college, but over the past few years alot of that has changed for it. While I would say there are much better schools in the US compared to PSU, if you want to be in Portland, it is a pretty good college depending on what field you want to go into.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 12:22 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

PSU is known for their urban planning school. Goes in step with Portland's reputation in the urban planning world...

I know a lot of people over the years who sought out PSU for their master's program, especially in community development. They all seemed to do ok in landing jobs, too.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 1:15 AM

I received my masters degree at PSU in urban planning a year ago, which is in the same school as the Community Development major. I can't speak to other degrees or programs though. I was accepted into several other competitive schools, but I liked the professors, the program, research opportunities, and lastly I wanted to live in Portland. I focused on transportation planning and it was a very good experience. The classes were informative, the professors were knowledgeable, passionate about their respective areas, and interesting. The transportation-focused professors have a good reputation and know the industry well. I took the opportunity to present research, attend conferences, and listen to/meet some of the top speakers/researchers in the industry. Having worked with many other professionals from far more prestigious schools, I'm confident I had just as good an education. I nor any of my classmates had any difficulty finding a job.

Last edited by RED_PDXer; Jul 26, 2008 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 1:41 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. Before even picking a college, I wanted to live in Portland. PSU you say is a good urban planning school; that is what I what to do. I would think about UofO or OSU, but I'd like to live and be in PDX. I'd think about UofP, but they don't have an urban planning program do they?

Last edited by uhohitzme; Jul 26, 2008 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 1:47 AM
A before E

nope, not at UofP.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 4:37 AM

I was debating U of O and PSU for urban planning (masters) and ultimately chose U of O for the universities' better reputation. Having said that, PSU really has an outstanding program (dare I say even better than U of O) however, if you were to ever go outside of the northwest, potential employers may have more awareness of the two larger universities in the state. It's really a toss up as either direction will ultimately lead you in the right direction. Who could deny the appeal of studying urban planning in an actual urban locale though?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 4:20 PM

Would anybody by chance of any pictures of the campus? I just wanted to see what it looked like since I can't make the trip now.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 10:55 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Apparently I'm too lazy to post even my own pics!

http://flickr.com/search/?q=portland+state+university

I found these all on flickr.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 2:46 PM

^^^Thanks for the pics.

Anybody here do the Community Development program? I'm trying to figure out what classes I need to be taking.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion