HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:26 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Well, looks like I'm moving... Sort of...

So earlier this morning, I essentially landed my dream job, and it will require my moving to Montreal in a sense. Since the work is one week on, one week off, they will apparently put me up in a hotel for the weeks I work, but in the off weeks I can do whatever, so I'll essentially be living in Ottawa AND Montreal.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
So earlier this morning, I essentially landed my dream job, and it will require my moving to Montreal in a sense. Since the work is one week on, one week off, they will apparently put me up in a hotel for the weeks I work, but in the off weeks I can do whatever, so I'll essentially be living in Ottawa AND Montreal.
congrats, that's "living the dream" for many in these parts! will they pay for Via 1 too? (worth it)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 6:54 PM

Just be careful with the student protests!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Jamaica, I did that for about one year (week days in MTL and weekends in OTT). It was actually... FUN! Both cities are great as well as being different on many levels.

Congrats on the dream job and hope your music continues.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 7:56 PM

i don't suppose that job is with Uline?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 8:38 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
congrats, that's "living the dream" for many in these parts! will they pay for Via 1 too? (worth it)
No, just the hotel room. Everything else and extras are up to me to pay (which won't be difficult, considering the hours, money, and overtime I'll be getting).

I suspect that most of my time will be in Ottawa, since I'll be working long hours and the hotel is in Dorval, along with my (future) work place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Just be careful with the student protests!
Ha, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegypsy View Post
Jamaica, I did that for about one year (week days in MTL and weekends in OTT). It was actually... FUN! Both cities are great as well as being different on many levels.

Congrats on the dream job and hope your music continues.
Thanks!

The music is definitely going to continue. We've had more shows recently, with another three lined up through the summer. As for the dream job, god I hope I don't screw up... I know it will be difficult and challenging, but here's hoping I do well enough to hold it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
i don't suppose that job is with Uline?
Nope, it's not. Also, I'm probably not going to share my place of work over the internet for the sake of my employer and I don't want to jinx anything too much.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 6:38 PM

What kind of music do you do Phoenix? I'm a lyricist my self and I enjoy music of all sorts. Good luck and congratz on the job!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 7:34 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
What kind of music do you do Phoenix? I'm a lyricist my self and I enjoy music of all sorts. Good luck and congratz on the job!
We've gotten a LOT better over the past year, but it still gives you an idea:

http://minimaleffect.bandcamp.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/MinimalEffectMusic

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 10:17 PM

^^^ Great stuff! Makes me want to smoke 1 and just chill lol

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 12:33 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
^^^ Great stuff! Makes me want to smoke 1 and just chill lol
Well, you're free to "like" us on facebook, purchase our album (Storm is free), and come check out our live shows.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 3:30 PM
Mooderator

Dude, I am so sorry you are moving to Montreal. I hear there is no fun to be had in that town. Surely not as much as Ottawa.

...seriously, good on you. Hope you have fun!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 8:54 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Dude, I am so sorry you are moving to Montreal. I hear there is no fun to be had in that town. Surely not as much as Ottawa.

...seriously, good on you. Hope you have fun!
Yeah, no fun to be had at all. And not a beautiful girl for miles.

I don't know how much I'll have since I'll mostly be staying in a (paid for) hotel and working 13-14 hour shifts, but I'll certainly be using my off-time to get to know the city better, and couch-surf at some of my friends' places.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 2:53 PM
Citizen-at-large

Congrats on the job, that's excellent news. I'm sad to hear you'll be moving, but at least you'll still be in Ottawa part of the time... Plus, Montreal is a pretty awesome place.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 4:21 PM

So, in my case, I will be moving next week to ..... (wait for it) ...... Kitchener-Waterloo after almost 35 years living elsewhere. Not pretty, I know, but I love the energy of the place as it gets on with reinventing itself from blue collar land to high tech central. Schmecky food too!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
So, in my case, I will be moving next week to ..... (wait for it) ...... Kitchener-Waterloo after almost 35 years living elsewhere. Not pretty, I know, but I love the energy of the place as it gets on with reinventing itself from blue collar land to high tech central. Schmecky food too!
It's gonna be fun to see who gets LRT first, too; good luck to you!

Last edited by McC; Jun 17, 2012 at 8:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
It's gonna be fun to see who gets LRT first, too; good luck to you!
Thanks! Re LRT, I don't think there's really much doubt. K-W will have LRT running (including a stop two blocks from the condo I bought in a renovated hundred year old factory) by 2017. Ottawa will have come to a decision on what route to follow and how many stations to put downtown by that time.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Thanks! Re LRT, I don't think there's really much doubt. K-W will have LRT running (including a stop two blocks from the condo I bought in a renovated hundred year old factory) by 2017. Ottawa will have come to a decision on what route to follow and how many stations to put downtown by that time.
Did you buy in the Arrow lofts?

What made you go back? I've been gone from there for 20 years, and wonder about going back once in a while. I don't think it will happen, as it's hard to replicate what Ottawa can offer, but I'll be curious to know how you find it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 1:15 AM
Closed account

KW does seem to be able to get things done much easier than Ottawa does. I am not sure why though.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 4:06 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Congrats on the job, that's excellent news. I'm sad to hear you'll be moving, but at least you'll still be in Ottawa part of the time... Plus, Montreal is a pretty awesome place.
Yeah, this means I can be exposed to Montreal, while still keeping my projects and obligations going here in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Did you buy in the Arrow lofts?

What made you go back? I've been gone from there for 20 years, and wonder about going back once in a while. I don't think it will happen, as it's hard to replicate what Ottawa can offer, but I'll be curious to know how you find it.
Yep, Arrow Lofts. Family reasons have me heading back but I am looking forward to it, even thought I'll likely be back and forth a fair bit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion