HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 3:47 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was attempting to improve the connection between SFPR and TCH (south of which it becomes Pacific Highway) today. Here's what I've got:
http://imgur.com/tgDFjYI
For comparison, one can search "Barnston Island" on google map and scroll down to look.

Notes:
(1) Traffic heading from TCH W to 15S uses the new ramp from TCH W to Golden Ears Way W, then loop back to 15S. Heading from 15N to TCH E, one will turn right onto GEW E then use the ramp from there to access TCH E. In fact, now that I think about it, I should have closed the intersection of GEW with 180th Street altogether, and join the 2 sections of 96 Avenue west of the cloverleaves.
(2) (IMO) The proximity between GEW and TCH makes weaving inevitable unless a 2+2+2+2 express-collector system be employed on that segment of Pacific Highway. I think ssiguy will love that idea.
(3) I wasn't able to include SFPR @ 104 Avenue (Golden Ears Connector) in the picture. (4) I tried drawing things to scale but probably did not.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jul 7, 2019 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 7:04 PM

Drove over the Alex Fraser Saturday July 27 to check out the shrunken lanes and the new speed limit. Honestly you can barely tell the lanes are shrunken. No different than the widths on the second narrows. Oh and no one in my lanes throughout the length of the bridge was doing 70. Not even the 340 bus. What a joke the government is with their nanny stateism.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 2:46 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Drove over the Alex Fraser Saturday July 27 to check out the shrunken lanes and the new speed limit. Honestly you can barely tell the lanes are shrunken. No different than the widths on the second narrows. Oh and no one in my lanes throughout the length of the bridge was doing 70. Not even the 340 bus. What a joke the government is with their nanny stateism.
Not even the bus

Speed limit on Second Narrows is also 70 km/h though. Maybe Highway 91’s better built on both ends of the bridge so the speed limit could have stayed at 80 km/h? On the other hand, the lane drops on both sides of Second Narrows are ridiculous...

Also, any thoughts about what I drew (as shown in that link)?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 2:52 AM

Yeah, I never drive more than 80 km/h over Second Narrows due to its profile but Alex Fraser could certainly remain 90 km/h without any issue.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 2:59 AM

This has nothing to do with highway 17

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:13 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
This has nothing to do with highway 17
Well once you get down the bridge it’s 91-17 connector, so in a very very remote sense, it sort of does.

But yea any thought about my proposal about 17-15-1-GEW in Barnston? People gave some feedbacks in the BC Highway Construction thread.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:44 AM

The entire SFPR and GE connector should be brought up to complete freeway standards so one could travel the entire route with no stopping. A highway, like a transit line, is only as strong as it's weakest link. Both Twas village interesections should have interchanges so one could travel from the ferry to MR or Hope on full limited access highways.

If BC wasn't so incredibly cheap with highways, it actually wouldn't take much time or money to give the region at least a decent highway system. Overpasses on the MHB, build the Serpentine Exp with interchanges on HWY#15 and not only would it make for far faster travel but also much safer as it would help get the transports off the local roads.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The entire SFPR and GE connector should be brought up to complete freeway standards so one could travel the entire route with no stopping. A highway, like a transit line, is only as strong as it's weakest link. Both Twas village interesections should have interchanges so one could travel from the ferry to MR or Hope on full limited access highways.

If BC wasn't so incredibly cheap with highways, it actually wouldn't take much time or money to give the region at least a decent highway system. Overpasses on the MHB, build the Serpentine Exp with interchanges on HWY#15 and not only would it make for far faster travel but also much safer as it would help get the transports off the local roads.
How about upgrading many of our local highways to freeway standards, including

1) SFPR
2) Mary Hill Bypass
3) Highway 15 & Highway 10?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 9:10 AM

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 1:00 PM

I hit those couple bumps when I was back in the area earlier this month.

Was kind of hoping that their repairs were going to be part of the new interchange project, guess not.

We have to wait 3 to 5 years for them to do a permanent fix... In the meantime smoothing and repaving every year...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Have to love the sparks flying when one of the car lands after launching.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 3:22 PM

That is not the only area plagued with poor design. There is also a large bump related to the kinder morgan trans mountain crossing east of Patello Bridge. The pipeline is protected by an at grade bridge. There was no densification each side to allow for settling.

Building on Bog is very challenging and old landfills are just being blamed for poor design on a design build project. Look at how much some of the parking lots around town have settled relating to the buildings on piles.

Port MAnn highway 1 has the same issues in a few places also.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 4:40 PM
Dahvie Fan

BC’s famously shoddy highway levelling practices are finally gaining media attention. I’ve been saying for years how no other place in North America has as many sunken dips and bumps in their highway as BC, especially the lower mainland. It comes down to value engineering.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
I’ve been saying for years how no other place in North America has as many sunken dips and bumps in their highway as BC, especially the lower mainland.
I've wondered that about some of the municipal roads in Burnaby as well, such as Still Creek Drive and the multiple bumps and dips on Gilmore near the Home Depot.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
I've wondered that about some of the municipal roads in Burnaby as well, such as Still Creek Drive and the multiple bumps and dips on Gilmore near the Home Depot.
Gilmore stretch in front of home depot is a bridge for a block or so. The problem is that the buildings that were built around that area are set on piles. where as the road is designed to float and bumps and dips show up when utilities cross the roads. As they dont settle or float the same as the road. And add the dewatering used in the buildings to keep the parking dry plus seasonal change in water table.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Gilmore stretch in front of home depot is a bridge for a block or so. The problem is that the buildings that were built around that area are set on piles. where as the road is designed to float and bumps and dips show up when utilities cross the roads. As they dont settle or float the same as the road. And add the dewatering used in the buildings to keep the parking dry plus seasonal change in water table.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
...I’ve been saying for years how no other place in North America has as many sunken dips and bumps in their highway as BC, especially the lower mainland.
I nearly got some air going eastbound at the 50 km/h speed limit on 16th Avenue near Mt. St. Joseph hospital in Vancouver a couple of days ago. That stretch of 16th Avenue has always been problematic, but there's a particular dip there that seems to have suddenly worsened over the past week or so since I drove it last.

It sounded like my the loaded bike rack was going to tear itself right off the hitch - if I had any doubts about how solid it was they're sure gone now...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Really? I'd like to learn more about that, are you aware of any good sites that discuss it? I'll search, of course.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 11:49 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Really? I'd like to learn more about that, are you aware of any good sites that discuss it? I'll search, of course.
You might have to bring it up in the road infrastructure discussion thread.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 7:59 AM

I see they finally patched up the suspension rattling gouges at that ridiculous at grade rail crossing. Wonder how long the semis and other cars gouge it up again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure