HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 4:37 AM
Red October standing by

^ nice. i really like staff's 1st photo of shanghai...looks out of a dystopian movie or anime.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 9:38 PM
Editor

I just started playing around with HDR but haven't been able to come up with anything too interesting. Mine so far haven't looked much different than regular pictures.

I've been using Photomatix, is that the best program to use?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 1:54 AM
low life in a tall place

^^
I used Photomatix on the two pics I posted on the previous page. I suppose you could use Photoshop as well (not sure how though).

LSyd,
Thanks mate.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:44 PM
Sigo rulando...

LSyD, clear your PM box.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 5:47 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't mean to take over the thread...

but I do think this should be an HDR helpers thread/question thread because I am like LOOOWWWWW on this whole HDR stuff... But it's amazing so I'll tried it!

Well, here are my CRAP HDR's... I know, they're not as bomb as i_am_hydrogen's but they're something... Or, I hope they are... Well, I use this program called Qtpfgui which is free so my HDR's aren't like Photomatrix so maybe that has to do with why I can't get them right... Also, it seems to me like this program tries to copy an HDR, but it doesn't really create the full image....

Here's two of the Smith Tower here in Seattle. Both same picture, different effects.

And then there's this one... It's from a building on Pioneer Square... Now, I recently began to take all my pictures on RAW [.nef], but I think I like jpeg more for day shots. For example, this picture on jpeg would look crisp red, just like the real building but RAW changes the color and makes it look too... too... too real! Plus this next building is a strong red color so when I saw the faded red on my computer screen it bugged me.... And I tried to fix it but it didn't work...

ANYWAYS! back to my "HDR" attempts....

And this last image was actually taken at like 12:something... I don't really know how it came out like this... But it looks like I took it at sunset... A really red sunset!

Soo... please criticize, give tips, should I use other programs, where to improve, HOW to improve, etc...?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 1:24 PM
Red October standing by

^ i like your pics, especially the sculpture and smith tower on the right. they look ghostly. the rest of your pics also look like they're out of ghostbusters or something crazy. so my advice is dont' improve...

but i guess you want a different look.

i use a free version of photomatix.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 2:26 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I downloaded photomatix as well, but haven't really gotten a chance to try anything yet.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 3:12 PM

I may be dumb for asking this, but what exactly is "HDR"? Judging from the posts on this thread, I would think it is a software feature. I have a Canon IS powershot S5, not DSLR, so would this work for me? Any suggestions?

thanks.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 4:10 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ HDR is "High Dynamic Range" - you are taking the same shot at several different exposures & then combining them all with software into one big 32-bit image. Then, because most displays & printers don't handle 32-bit images, you down-convert it back to 16 or 8 bits so that you can print & display it.

Most digital cameras - including your Powershot S5 - have an "auto-bracketing" feature in the system software that will take bursts of different exposures of the same shot.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
^ HDR is "High Dynamic Range" - you are taking the same shot at several different exposures & then combining them all with software into one big 32-bit image. Then, because most displays & printers don't handle 32-bit images, you down-convert it back to 16 or 8 bits so that you can print & display it.

Most digital cameras - including your Powershot S5 - have an "auto-bracketing" feature in the system software that will take bursts of different exposures of the same shot.
thanks

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 10:18 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Umm.. again, played around with my crappy wannabe HDR program... Here's a couple which came out kinda... kinda... i don't even know...

The first one is idk... the second is the same image with higher saturation... 3rd one is a mix of 1 and 2 done in Photoshop and the camera distortion has been fixed... last one is the 3rd image but with a spotlight effect and some color changes.

All came from a RAW image. I can't seem to get the right tone and the exposure is either too high or too low... From what I see [and what I can do], I like the under-exposed images more...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 8:14 PM

I have tried making quite a few HDR images with Photomatix in the past couple months. Some have turned out OK, but I haven't done much with them yet, because I'm having trouble with the color. Unlike normal pictures, which I can color-manage so that they look the way I want in Photoshop, Firefox, and whatever else, the files output by Photomatix look different in every program that opens them, no matter how I set the color space. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with this problem?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography