HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 1:32 AM

ANYWAYS. I drove past the site last night and their were some guys still there mulling around. the pictures don't do it justice. its really a huge site in person.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Can someone remind of the overall square footage of the tower? With 73 floors and the footprint it's occupying, this thing is going to be HUGE - look at all those cranes!

Also, on that note - is there a flag yet for the hotel?
Yes 1,700,000 sq ft. There will be 400,000 sf of office up to floor 20 with 900 hotel rooms above floor 20.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Here's a construction update from yesterday.
Thanks for the picture update!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 5:37 AM

Long time reader and 1st time poster here. A construction worker told me last weekend there will be a 4 day turnaround per floor once they reach the hotel floors.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Thanks for the picture update!
thanks, you beat me in posting my own photos.

side note we need a mod to delete the last page of utterly immature comments. DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 11:52 AM

Concrete was poured yesterday on the western 1/2 of the core and rebar installed on the Eastern side. The forms are being jumped up as well.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 6:15 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by upward 2000 View Post
Long time reader and 1st time poster here. A construction worker told me last weekend there will be a 4 day turnaround per floor once they reach the hotel floors.
Interesting. When will they reach the hotel floors?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 7:49 PM

The NYC BofA tower the the WG look NOTHING alike. How are people drawing a comparison?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Interesting. When will they reach the hotel floors?
That i don't know yet.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kurt View Post
The NYC BofA tower the the WG look NOTHING alike. How are people drawing a comparison?
that came out of nowhere. The comparison is with the original 1250ft design. What is being built is a downsized revision.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 1:41 AM

Here's a pic:

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 12:32 AM

Taken today

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 2:42 AM

Good photo update.

Next milestone might be seeing the framing rise above street level.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 4:03 AM

I had no idea this skyscraper project existed until a few days ago... But, I hope I'm allowed to say with this simple post:

WOW.

I love the "waterslide" (I prefer "waterfall/large stream/channel/fjord," you know, anything that's not smack talk). And it looks like they've well-thought-ahead concerning seismic events. But, what a foundation... it's massive! Each skyscraper has its economical reason for size, but I miss the sense of daring and spectacle... America needs more feats of engineering. We seem to be building big again, and I love it.

This is the part where I wish we could just skip ahead and see the finished product, but much of the fun is watching it rise. I can't wait for this to be a part of LA's skyline!

[Aside: Does sharing my opinion make me a "troll"? Idk. But if it does, I'm sorry. I guess I'm an ignorant troll. I'll go sit in the naughty corner now. Edit: And eat some shrubberies... or whatever trolls eat. And dye my hair neon green and bejewel myself.]

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Good photo update.

Next milestone might be seeing the framing rise above street level.
I agree. The next jump in steel perimeter columns that are connected to the existing columns that rise from p3 up to ground level will continue to several floors above ground level. There are still what looks to be over half of the perimeter columns missing from P3 to ground ground level in other areas.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 2:56 PM

According to the Wilshire Grand Facebook page, there should be a big announcement today. Probably the hotel operator.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 6:33 PM

KTLA just revealed that at 2pm pacific the hotel operator will be announced as well as newer renderings. my money is on waldorf-astoria...

http://abc7.com/realestate/photos-la...rapers/319749/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 8:15 PM
:o

Intercontinental to Operate Wilshire Grand

Quote:
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES — Representatives of the Wilshire Grand replacement project announced today that Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts will operate the 900-room luxury property when the tallest building west of Chicago opens in 2017.

The $1 billion-plus project from Korean Air will stand 73 stories tall, and will eclipse Downtown’s U.S. Bank Tower in height. The hotel will be the first on the West Coast to offer a sky lobby, which will be on the 70th floor. The tower, rising on the northwest corner of Seventh and Figueroa streets, will be the first hotel built by Korean Air in the United States.

Kirk Kinsell, president of the Americas at Intercontinental Hotels Group, said in a prepared statement that the company remains “focused on building its presence in top-tier cities and resorts around the globe, and our partnership with Korean Air is very much in line with this strategy.”

The 1,100-foot tall structure will have the four-star hotel rooms on the upper floors of the edifice, above 400,000 square feet of office space. The project will also include stores, restaurants and a rooftop pool. AC Martin is handling the design and construction is being overseen by the affiliated Martin Project Management.

The building replaces the old Wilshire Grand, which opened in 1952 and closed in late 2011.

Project officials say the new hotel will create more than 11,000 construction jobs and contribute $80 million in tax revenue through the construction phase. Additionally, it will sustain more than 1,700 new full-time jobs and generate $16 million in annual local tax revenueonce completed.

The building will also eschew the traditional flat roof for a sloping rooftop design.

According to a press release from IHG, several property accents will be a nod toward characteristics of Los Angeles: wood and warm colors are intended to reflect the beach culture, and the sky lobby will feature abstract representations of car lines in the interior paneling and decor.
http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/i...4c7d7b574.html

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByPumwUCMAAEWKs.jpg:large

Skyline rendering

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...61ac41d58ea11d

Last edited by Valyrian Steel; Sep 23, 2014 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 11:19 PM

i am so impressed with the final design and am looking forward to taking to trips to downtown over the next year just to see the progress

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 12:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Is that Pepsi on top? Or am I seeing things?

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive