HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Nawlins was popularized in the media mostly and picked up by clueless visitors who don't have an ear for the local patois. Noo'Olins (sp?) is probably closer to the mark. Frat and Yat both tend to pronounce the name in a close approximation of Noo'Olins. Frat or Uptown locals will work in a bit of the "R" sound for something that sounds like "NuOrLens". A real upper class accent might stress the dipthong and pronounce the name as "Nu OrLeeans". Yat speakers tend to drop the "R". Most locals of all classes tend to mash the "Nu" and the "Or" into something that sounds like "Noir" as in film noir. Nawlins sounds dumb, like somebody might gnaw on a bone. Locals hear this pronounciation and roll their eyes.
I thought the heavy accented name was New-uhhAHH-lans?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
SF: I've never met anyone that calls anything "the Bay" or anyone that calls Oakland "the Town." But "San Fran" and "Cali" really annoy me for some reason. "Frisco" is lame when used by some people, but it's a common and perfectly legit work among blacks and bikers.

Some newcomers say "NorCal" which is mildly annoying and clear indication of not being local.

"Oaktown" is very common, "Oaksterdam" really annoys.

People saying "the valley" for Silicon Valley rubs any local as totally weird, but so many people down there say are so new and say it that it's getting to be normal.

Saying "Sacto" which is very common outside of Sacramento really seems to annoy people up there. Sac is the preferred nomenclature, I guess.
The consensus among San Francisco residents overwhelmingly seems to be an annoyance at both "San Fran" and "Frisco"; among all California residents, "Cali" seems to be a definite term of annoyance.

But again, to say that you've never heard anyone refer to the greater Bay Area as "The Bay", or to Oakland as "The Town", clearly indicates a lack of exposure to Bay Area urban culture (a culture in which both terms are prevalent).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions