HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I think you actually have it backwards. It is rather that suburban development in the US has been incentivized, encouraged, and even mandated through transportation investments, subsidies, and zoning laws.

Nowhere else in the world has such a predominantly suburban oriented growth pattern in their cities to the extent that we do in the US. So Toronto and the other Canadian cities are actually closer to the norm for cities around the world.
Actually makes some good sense from that perspective.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:50 PM

Georgia sees heavy 'in-migration' from Florida, New York

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...orida-new.html

Quote:
The Peach State saw the fifth-largest increase of migration among the 50 states, with 69,106 additions, according to year-over-year U.S Census data as of year-end 2016 (latest available). The biggest influx came from Florida, followed by New York, Tennessee, Texas and California.

The four states with a bigger net change were Florida (+188,197), Texas (+95,345), Arizona (82,176) and North Carolina (80,752). The five largest "out-migration" states were New York (-186,366), Illinois (-138,108), California (-136,321), New Jersey (-81,659) and Connecticut (-36,762).

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:21 PM
Closed account

This is for Libertarian, who's always complaining about Georgia's so-called high taxes compared to Texas, Tennessee and Florida...

Charlie Harper: Georgia Tax Burden Lowest In Nation

http://newnanceo.com/news/2018/05/ch...lowest-nation/

Quote:
"The Tax Foundation keeps score of a variety of metrics on state governments. Their 2018 report shows the fallacy being sold by the candidates who are saying that the state is taking more than its share. Georgia is ranked as having the lowest state and local revenue per capita in the nation.

“Revenue” is defined as taxes, fees, licenses, and intergovernmental revenue. It’s the whole picture. And Georgia takes less than any other state.

Our neighbors Florida and Tennessee, as well as Texas are among the states that don’t have an income tax. Despite this, each takes in more state and local revenue per person than Georgia does.

This is important because if revenue is cut – and Georgia’s income tax represents roughly half the state’s revenue – then either services must be cut or taxes and fees must be raised elsewhere to make up the difference. The candidates making these pledges are also promising to increase spending, meaning that additional money has to come from somewhere.

If we want to be more like Texas, then we can raise property taxes. A lot.

According to the same report, the average Georgian pays .94% of the value of their owner-occupied house in property taxes each year. Texans pay 1.7%, which is not quite double.

Georgians don’t pay property taxes on groceries. Tennessee residents pay 5% tax every time they hit the checkout line.

Still miffed that Georgia raised its gas tax formula? Floridians pay a full ten cents per gallon more, and that’s on top of the vast network of toll roads throughout the state. You want to see Mickey Mouse? You’re going to pay more in gas taxes, and also pay tolls."

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 11:19 AM

Sorry, don't buy it. Harper is a shill for the political status quo. Georgia has relatively low tax revenue percapita because we're a relatively poor state. Did you know the Georgia income tax is actually a regressive tax? First, the rate is not graduated, and second, wealthy and super wealthy resident individuals and corporations can set up separate legal entities in other states and park earnings elsewhere thereby helping to avoid Georgia income tax. Generally speaking, the high-margin profitable businesses don't want to move to Georgia and comparatively high income taxes are one good reason. We get commodity businesses and those who can legally park earnings elsewhere moving here, not the quality cash cows. Dumb.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:08 PM

Where is Charlie Harper getting his statistics? He says The Tax Foundation, but I don't think so.
https://files.taxfoundation.org/2017...SBTCI_2018.pdf

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Where is Charlie Harper getting his statistics? He says The Tax Foundation, but I don't think so.
https://files.taxfoundation.org/2017...SBTCI_2018.pdf
That link shows business tax. Are you able to dig up and tax foundation literature on personal taxes/per capita, Which the article supposedly quoted?

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 5:37 PM

Note that Harper didn't qualify his statistic to just individuals, but The Tax Foundation has has published state comparative statistics on just individuals. The latest on their site in regard to state individual stats (2014 numbers) shows Georgia at number 44 per capita. Georgia rank overall is 36 per capita. We are a relatively poor SE state and need to be competitive to attract investment.
https://taxfoundation.org/state-loca...lections-2017/
Charlie Harper has been known to stretch his version of reality so as to fit the narrative. It's nothing new.

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 11:00 PM

Does anyone know what current market rates are for new apartments in midtown?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:43 AM

Hanover WP says studios start at $1,447. Cannot find a studio at Modera, but 1 BR’s are over $1800 to get in the door it seems. Usually price increases by floor.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:51 AM

The average rent in Midtown according to Rent Cafe

• Studio $1,282
  • 1 Bed $1,533
  • 2 Beds $2,105
  • 3 Beds $3,071

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The average rent in Midtown according to Rent Cafe

• Studio $1,282
  • 1 Bed $1,533
  • 2 Beds $2,105
  • 3 Beds $3,071
Thank you!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Hanover WP says studios start at $1,447. Cannot find a studio at Modera, but 1 BR’s are over $1800 to get in the door it seems. Usually price increases by floor.
Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:19 PM

Another apartment high-rise headed to Buckhead

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...buckhead-89089

PMRG's Denver project is pretty snazzy. It'll be interesting to see what they do in Atlanta.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 11:22 PM

Damn glad I don't own Atlanta property anymore. I was just checking out the over-65 property tax exemptions in Gwinnett compared with Atlanta/Fulton. Fulton senior exemptions are granted only on low income. My property tax in Gwinnett is about $850 for a house with $200k fair market value. In Atlanta/Fulton the same house as mine in a comparable neighborhood would cost upwards of $400k. As a newly-minted senior I would pay 8 times more property taxes in Atlanta/Fulton.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Damn glad I don't own Atlanta property anymore. I was just checking out the over-65 property tax exemptions in Gwinnett compared with Atlanta/Fulton. Fulton senior exemptions are granted only on low income. My property tax in Gwinnett is about $850 for a house with $200k fair market value. In Atlanta/Fulton the same house as mine in a comparable neighborhood would cost upwards of $400k. As a newly-minted senior I would pay 8 times more property taxes in Atlanta/Fulton.
You can also afford to have a lawn now, which means with the plentiful number of youth in Gwinnett, you'll have many opportunities to yell at trespassers to get off your lawn

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 1:42 PM

Got stereotypes?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Why, other than income, do you think seniors should be exempted from paying their fair share of taxes? They've had a lifetime to accumulate wealth while using local services.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 1:04 PM

Not that I don't have my little philanthropies. If we were to argue what is an ideal world we can do it but may involve more mind expansion than could be encompassed by small thinkers. It gets uncomfortable for many to discuss the full implications of bottom-up democracy, patriarchal/matriarchal extended families, and tribalism.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Not that I don't have my little philanthropies. If we were to argue what is an ideal world we can do it but may involve more mind expansion than could be encompassed by small thinkers. It gets uncomfortable for many to discuss the full implications of bottom-up democracy, patriarchal/matriarchal extended families, and tribalism.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:41 PM

You just need to take off the blinders. Don't think more property taxes make a real difference. The truth will set you free.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta