HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:00 PM

Maybe Kenney is reinstating the wage tax deduction?

Quote:
Currently Philadelphia residents incur a 3.9004 percent wage tax and 3.4741 percent for non-residents. The new budget drops those to 3.8907 percent and 3.4654 percent.
Read more here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-licenses.html

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Pepsi to lay off 80 to 100, blames soda tax

Time to get rid of the tax? No sense in losing hundreds of jobs over this.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...-soda-tax.html
Can a moderator please move this to the propaganda thread?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
On another taxation note, from PBJ:

"Currently Philadelphia residents incur a 3.9004 percent wage tax and 3.4741 percent for non-residents. The new budget drops those to 3.8907 percent and 3.4654 percent."

Glory! For a Philadelphia resident with an annual income of $200,000, this amounts to annual savings of roughly $19. Pointless. What is the shortfall to the government? With such minimal impact, I see no reason to implement this. The government should wait until it can make a meaningful chance. If the amendment on property tax goes through or something else happens that allows anything but the most insignificant, silly de minimis decrease.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Maybe Kenney is reinstating the wage tax deduction?

Read more here:
this is basically the same rate of reduction that has been in place for most of the last 20 years or so.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Glory! For a Philadelphia resident with an annual income of $200,000, this amounts to annual savings of roughly $19. Pointless. What is the shortfall to the government? With such minimal impact, I see no reason to implement this. The government should wait until it can make a meaningful chance. If the amendment on property tax goes through or something else happens that allows anything but the most insignificant, silly de minimis decrease.
Everything in government happens incrementally. If they continue to decrease it by a hundredth of a percentage point every year it'll add up to a meaningful decrease.

On another note, I still don't understand why we charge nonresidents less. Why incentivize moving out of the city? It should be reversed.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
this is basically the same rate of reduction that has been in place for most of the last 20 years or so.
The reduction in rate has been frozen since at least 2008. I think they're just re-implementing the reduction.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
It's better than nothing honestly. I would rather them start to slowly decrease it, then cut it to 2% when Harrisburg allows Philadelphia to alter the tax structure.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 5:20 PM

While I'd like to see a more meaningful incremental reduction, the whole point was for the decrease to be subtle and "automatic" so that the politicians would just have to adjust to the new reality, rather than have to actually do anything affirmative. Whatever works. Most suburbs at at 1%. That should be their target, but I think they'd be competitive at 2%. Wage tax doesn't apply to me, so they'd still have to get rid or simplify all of the other taxes/regs to encourage a sole-proprietor like me move back into town. I miss it, but not enough to complicate my life to be there.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
It's better than nothing honestly. I would rather them start to slowly decrease it, then cut it to 2% when Harrisburg allows Philadelphia to alter the tax structure.
Mmm...this de minimis reduction is putting $20 back in the pockets of affluent people and less back in the pockets of less affluent people. Won't be felt. But it's still however many millions of dollars that the city loses that could be put towards something like the the cap over I-95 just proposed between Walnut and Chestnut. The total reduction is .0097% of income. That's insanely small. If it's the same the next couple years, there is still going to be a significant cut if and when an alteration to the tax structure allows for it. These kind of cuts are too small to help anyone and are also too small to avoid sticker shock if there is a real future cut. So the only thing I see it doing is cutting into city funds marginally.

Anything less than an .1% reduction (i.e. 3.9004% to 3.8004%) really just fails to serve any identifiable purpose. And that's being generous

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Mmm...this de minimis reduction is putting $20 back in the pockets of affluent people and less back in the pockets of less affluent people. Won't be felt. But it's still however many millions of dollars that the city loses that could be put towards something like the the cap over I-95 just proposed between Walnut and Chestnut. The total reduction is .0097% of income. That's insanely small. If it's the same the next couple years, there is still going to be a significant cut if and when an alteration to the tax structure allows for it. These kind of cuts are too small to help anyone and are also too small to avoid sticker shock if there is a real future cut. So the only thing I see it doing is cutting into city funds marginally.

Anything less than an .1% reduction (i.e. 3.9004% to 3.8004%) really just fails to serve any identifiable purpose. And that's being generous
You send a signal that down is the direction you intend for it to go. Then maybe next year, fingers crossed, we see a little larger reduction.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:

its about the long term trend, not cash in your pocket from year to year. Over a decade or so these reductions mean something. They aren't going to be noticeable year to year. I think the wage tax was almost a % point higher when the reductions started under Rendell. The rates were last this low in the 70s.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:41 PM

^exactly

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
its about the long term trend, not cash in your pocket from year to year. Over a decade or so these reductions mean something. They aren't going to be noticeable year to year. I think the wage tax was almost a % point higher when the reductions started under Rendell. The rates were last this low in the 70s.
I agree with the longterm trend, but I think a reduction of a greater amount every few years would be better received. I also tried to find a listing of each decrease but could not find one. I would hazard a guess that this is one of the lowest decreases ever and the typical decrease is greater.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
You send a signal that down is the direction you intend for it to go. Then maybe next year, fingers crossed, we see a little larger reduction.
Perhaps. It's ultimately not a big deal in the scheme of things. But I think most people could do without the symbolic gesture.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 7:24 PM

BREAKING NEWS ON I-95 CAP:

PennDOT just allocated $100 Million. That leaves $35 million to go!

https://billypenn.com/2017/03/02/pen...rk+cap+project

Unless Federal highway funds are included in the PennDOT piece, surely we can get a fair piece of that from DC. There might also be funds available from the President's infrastructure spending goal.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 7:41 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:13 PM

^ I thought we'd at least get something (since my Scottish group was advised that our monument would have to be moved for replacing the existing cap), but it looks like we'll get it all!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree with the longterm trend, but I think a reduction of a greater amount every few years would be better received. I also tried to find a listing of each decrease but could not find one. I would hazard a guess that this is one of the lowest decreases ever and the typical decrease is greater.
when the concept started under Rendell the reductions were standard and predictable. I think this is simply picking up where they left off. The reductions were always small. Only major change will come with the pending PA state bill.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
when the concept started under Rendell the reductions were standard and predictable. I think this is simply picking up where they left off. The reductions were always small. Only major change will come with the pending PA state bill.
I found an Inquirer article (paywalled in the Archives) from 1996. That year the wage tax reduction saved the average family $5.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
BREAKING NEWS ON I-95 CAP:

PennDOT just allocated $100 Million. That leaves $35 million to go!

https://billypenn.com/2017/03/02/pen...rk+cap+project

Unless Federal highway funds are included in the PennDOT piece, surely we can get a fair piece of that from DC. There might also be funds available from the President's infrastructure spending goal.
Whoa! It's actually happening. I'm sure we can get most of the $35 million from the Feds. The rest could probably be raised via donations, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations