HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 9:52 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't think LA is centralizing. It isn't adding transit share, and it isn't (relative to other cities) building more core housing or adding core employment.

But I do think it's better than ever.
Believe me, it is. Yeah, the city of Los Angeles is pretty much built out especially its core. Obviously it is harder and slower to add new units when it means tearing down existing housing with all the politics and NIMBY crap that goes along with that. That said, the only area seeing substantial construction in the City of LA is its core neighborhoods. The only places seeing substantial growth are Hollywood, North Hollywood, Koreatown , City West and Downtown.

From 1999 to 2015 over 24 billion has been invested in Downtown LA. Since 2010 79 new developments of over 500,000SF have been added to Downtown and I am not sure if that includes all the adaptive reuse of its treasured Beau Arts and Art Deco core. I am not sure how that relates to other central core Downtown areas, but it is quite a substantial investment and investment has picked up pace since 2015 and will continue likely thru the Olympics.

At the 2000 census just under 28,000 people lived Downtown and 18 years later 67,000 live Downtown. By the end of 2020 it is supposed to surpass 75K and within 10 years it is projected well over 100K again for the first time since the 1920's. In fact the Bid Survey expects it Downtown's population today to double by 2028.

With a 140 Billion investment in LA Metro over the next 40 years mainly centered in the basin adding transit share will once again be on the rise. It lost a lot of its share as unfortunately those who used it most have been forced out due to the high cost of living.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/15/archi...val/index.html

https://www.downtownla.com/images/re...esults.v23.pdf

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
new orleans is a 350 year old colonial city.

miami beach is a 100 year old beach town.

otherwise, very similar
The point is that both were established and didn't grow into something much grander after the 1930's. MB has even declined some in the last 30 years.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 10:38 PM

My wife is from Brea in Orange County. I grew up in Manhattan. There’s no doubt that LA has an urbanity unmatched by most other cities in the USA. And it’s a great city. BUT. It seems to be missing a certain je ne sais quoi. It’s hard to put in words. But the urban landscapes are missing something. Which makes them a bit depressing. It’s hard to articulate. But walking even in the urban areas feel like a chore. As opposed to say Manhattan or Philly or London. Where it’s a joy.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proghousehead View Post
My wife is from Brea in Orange County. I grew up in Manhattan. There’s no doubt that LA has an urbanity unmatched by most other cities in the USA. And it’s a great city. BUT. It seems to be missing a certain je ne sais quoi. It’s hard to put in words. But the urban landscapes are missing something. Which makes them a bit depressing. It’s hard to articulate. But walking even in the urban areas feel like a chore. As opposed to say Manhattan or Philly or London. Where it’s a joy.
It's not a traditionally urban place.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9768...7i16384!8i8192

Pacific Blvd In Hunttington Park also is very under the radar for a suburb. 10-12 miles south of downtown. There's no train station here now, but maybe decades ago.

Historic South Central is more interesting than people think too. I do wonder what it looked liked before the 92 riots though.
Pacific Blvd. (Huntington Park's downtown) is now what Broadway in DTLA used to be a few decades ago. There's great Mexican food to be had there on Pacific; when walking into a restaurant there, you're often greeted in Spanish, and they continue talking to you in Spanish... sometimes I try to see if I can order and converse with the server in my bad Spanish, but then I just break down and start speaking English.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 12:11 AM

They have darkstep djs play at shows. You dont get that anywhere in the US I think

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions