HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 9:55 AM
TL;DR

Well, as that previous article noted, moving the school is only half the battle. The other half is restoring the building after the move, which is an expensive procedure (there is always some damage from the move, as well as damage caused by the preparations for the move).

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM. Reason: it's not a courthouse (yet)

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 4:30 PM

One ShelL Square put on market

Louisiana's tallest and largest skyscraper, One Shell Square, is up for sale, as its longtime owner, Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., seeks to cash in on a wave of commercial real estate activity that's expected to spread from major financial centers to smaller cities this year.

The 51-story, 697-foot white Italian limestone building is the original skyscraper on Poydras Street, paving the way for the corridor to become the modern commercial avenue of New Orleans. Named for its primary tenant, Shell Oil Co., the building also represented New Orleans' aspirations to become an energy capital.

Link

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 6:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Looks like our prayers have been heard, New Orleans may save a beautiful building, and the Tulane Avenue Renaissance will continue.

The moving of the building is being considered according to the news article. It appears that the school board will retain control over it, so it will probably continue to remain a school, but I've said from the very beginning that this building would make a great new Civil Courthouse. And they are considering moving it one block over from the current Criminal Courthouse. Perhaps it's a sign and someone got the message.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...nogh_no_1.html

This is a big building. Im going to have to watch them move this one in person if they do !!!!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 10:38 PM
-

The new glass on the front of the Hyatt entrance looks amazing, better than the renderings even!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 11:30 PM
TL;DR

^^ Yeah, I just saw that today too. I love the spiral staircase in the corner.

I'm not a fan of the Hyatt blocking off S. Liberty St, though. It looks like they're closing it permanently, which leaves no way to cut through the massive block on foot. It's even worse for drivers, who have no north-south streets anywhere between Claiborne and Loyola after the Superdome closes off LaSalle.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm not a fan of the Hyatt blocking off S. Liberty St, though. It looks like they're closing it permanently, which leaves no way to cut through the massive block on foot. It's even worse for drivers, who have no north-south streets anywhere between Claiborne and Loyola after the Superdome closes off LaSalle.
Normally I would agree that keeping the street grid is important, but in this case, Liberty Street doesn't really connect through-traffic, it's just a way to get from parking lots to major streets. The block was always really cut-off because of the train tracks leading to the UPT. Also, from what I've seen in the Hyatt drawings, there will be a way for vehicles to enter the parking garage from the front of the hotel off Loyola Ave., from the right side, if facing the new facade.

With this new configuration, I could actually see traffic improving, especially after a football game, because fewer intersections mean fewer stops and bottlenecks. Pedestrians will not be really impacted since LaSalle St. is open to pedestrians on game days going North/South, and people can cut through the Hyatt going East/West.

Maybe permanently closing off S. Liberty St. could also lead to an enlarged Champions Square in the next phase?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 12:08 AM
TL;DR

Closing streets = fewer, wider streets = less pedestrian activity.

In order to make it work, the city would need to redesign Poydras/Loyola/Claiborne/Girod to better accommodate pedestrians. Right now, there aren't even countdown signals, so I'm not optimistic.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Closing streets = fewer, wider streets = less pedestrian activity.
exactly.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 6:48 AM

Interesting change

No one believes this project is more dead than I do, but I did just notice that the architect's website had an updated rendering of the Trump Tower from the one I was accustomed to seeing. This change may have happened years ago, but I'm just noticing it.

Notice the parking levels 3-15 are now clad in glass, there is a gold TRUMP sign above the main entrance, and floors 16/17 now have this rounded extension out over the sidewalk. Also, there seems to be a higher barrier wall over the outside patio on the 17th floor.

Last edited by Blitzen; Mar 20, 2011 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
No one believes this project is more dead than I do, but I did just notice that the architect's website had an updated rendering of the Trump Tower from the one I was accustomed to seeing. This change may have happened years ago, but I'm just noticing it.

Notice the parking levels 3-15 are now clad in glass, there is a gold TRUMP sign above the main entrance, and floors 16/17 now have this rounded extension out over the sidewalk. Also, there seems to be a higher barrier wall over the outside patio on the 17th floor.

Don't know how old the rendering is, but the model of the building that was on display a couple of years back had the updated design.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 7:52 PM

trump tower

i've never seen that rendering either. But i don't think it says anything about the status of the building.
unfortunately, i think its dead...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 8:03 PM
TL;DR

I can't decide which one I like more... they're both equally shitty. The newer glassy one has a better design overall, but it loses MAJOR points for the huge gilded Trump sign.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
The newer glassy one has a better design overall, but it loses MAJOR points for the huge gilded Trump sign.
Agreed, it would be the best of both worlds if he backed out but the local investors kept the project and dropped the tacky giant gold "Trump".

On another note, buried in this article is mention that Benson wants to build a small football stadium near the Saints' practice facility, for people to watch them scrimmage; and he would allow high school teams to play there:
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...r_tom_b_9.html

Also, seems that work on the Orpheum has started up, even though the financing is in disarray:
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...3/post_35.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 11:37 PM
on the south side

^The news on the Orpheum is great............I thought that whole deal was dead in the water and the theatre was doomed!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 12:36 AM
TL;DR

The original sketchy Texas millionaires sold the Orpheum to a different sketchy Texas millionaire.

The article says that the new owner is pretty much equally bad. In all fairness, getting banks to lend to anything in New Orleans is, from what I hear, very difficult without substantial equity.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 12:53 AM
on the south side

I guess as long as its still standing there's hope. Keeping my fingers cross for the day the Saenger, Orpheum and State Theatres are all up a going strong. The Paramount here in Austin can't touch any of these theatres in there original forms..

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 4:37 AM

Happy to here there is some form of progress on the Orpheum. It's a grand theater, and I can't wait to see it put back into use. Of course, it sounds the current owner can't be trusted farther than you could throw him. That puts a bit of a sour on things.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 6:28 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
In order to make it work, the city would need to redesign Poydras/Loyola/Claiborne/Girod to better accommodate pedestrians. Right now, there aren't even countdown signals, so I'm not optimistic.
Spoke too soon.

Apparently, the city is planning to install countdown signals on Poydras between Claiborne and the river.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
i've never seen that rendering either. But i don't think it says anything about the status of the building.
unfortunately, i think its dead...
No it isn't, it's on hold until the ecomony improves.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 3:21 PM

Does he even own all the lot yet? and if this project ever gets going will it displace the Bon Ton Cafe?

Also, does anyone know what is going at the building next to the 1205 St Charles apartments, it looks like it was at one point called the Audobon Hotel? It is a covered in contractor signs and an ode to Mitch Landrieu at the moment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations