HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 10:41 PM

Just a thought Steve. Will the Tanner building have some sort of beautiful water feature? Any project the Tanners are involved with seems to always include a very cool fountain or water feature.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 2:54 AM

Im not sure, it would seem likely. I think the U campus needs more water features IMO. Especially since that main fountain never really worked and now they are tearing it out. I think the Engineering Building has some kind of feature and then there is the waterfall infront of the Library.

I looked up the Building and found this:

http://www.hum.utah.edu/index.php?&pageId=1529

As one of the most beautiful academic spaces on campus, and anchoring the University’s planned academic quad, the new 50,000 sq. ft. Carolyn Tanner Irish Humanities Building will be the symbolic and spatial center of the University of Utah campus, and the dynamic hub of the many departments, programs, and centers of the College of Humanities.

Appropriately, the site of the building at the heart of campus reflects what the College has become ­— a thriving growth center of disciplinary, interdisciplinary, and international programs. Active learners, vibrant researchers, and an involved public will find enhanced opportunities to participate in the ongoing process of dialogue and connection essential to the Humanities.

With a construction budget of $16.5 million, the building will be home to the Departments of History and Philosophy, the College’s International, Asian, and Latin American Studies Programs, and the Obert C. and Grace A. Tanner Humanities Center. The Tanner Humanities Center (est. 1988) fosters scholarly inquiry and dialogue on issues critical to the human condition by supporting the work of distinguished Fellows.

The Carolyn Tanner Irish Humanities Building is designed to induce lively collaboration and discussion among faculty, students, and community members, while also allowing space for contemplative distance. There will be two large lecture halls, several seminar rooms, conference rooms, and group study rooms. For more reflective moments, faculty, students, and visitors can relax in reading rooms and secluded courtyards, or walk the outdoor labyrinth. (A labyrinth is a circular space with a meandering path that one walks purposefully to the circle’s center. This meditative space signifies harmony and is intended to help bring clarity to life and learning.)

Construction of the building is scheduled to begin October 2006, with a projected completion date of May 2008.

Didn't say, but I would hope for something. May seems really soon, it doesn't look like they can complete the building in just over a month. The builders site says June 2008.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 11:49 AM

Downtown, Latest Updates - City Creek Center by T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Photos from this morning. Enjoy.

T-Mac

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 6:08 PM

Downtown, Latest Updates - 222 South Main by T- Mac

hamilton partners
Quote:
Here are the photos from this morning. Lots going on. All of these photos plus more of Downtown in general are on my flickr page if you are interested under tmac97slc.

T-Mac

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 3:33 AM
New Coloradan

T-mac, it's nice to see some columns going up within those CCC bowels.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 2:26 PM

Downtown - Boston Building Project - Under Renovation & T-Mac Pics of Exchange Place

Main Street entrance to Exchange Place.Boston Tower on left currently undergoing upgrade/renovation.

loopnet.com

Quote:

I took these pictures as well this weekend and since we are discussing, I thought I would share them. The first one was taken by Shipler in 1910 and the rest by me.

It's amazing how little has changed in that area.
T-Mac

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 4:07 PM

Additional Pics of Boston Building and Exchange Place by Scraperdude801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
Future Mayor I could not agree with you more! Exchange place is oozing with potential. Housing and local retail would be great for exchange place.

On the topic of Sameul Newhouse, The Newhouse mansion is a beautiful as well. Almost everything this guy touched was/is a gem.

Here are some pictures of exchange place I took last week:

I'm not a big fan of the courthouse expansion project because of the fact we are losing the shubrick, but I think the way the boston and new house building will frame the new courthouse tower will be stunning with the historic courthouse at it's base.

The Commercial building is my favorite building in SLC (excluding the city and county building, cathedral, and temple)

Scaperdude801

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 12:13 PM

Exchange Place - Needed Additions by Urbanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
Just for fun:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 7:41 PM

Salt Lake City Metro - Birkhill at Fireclay TOD - Under Construction -

Take The Virtual Tour:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

A video tour has been posted of the new Birkhill @ Fireclay development in N. Murray. Click below to see it:

http://www.hamlethomes.com/communiti...eo.aspx?cid=18

It's the second video that appears with the 'Birkhill @ Fireclay' splashscreen.

The end of the clip shows the plaza that is proposed to replace the current park-n-ride, which will be rebuilt just south of the current site:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:07 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I really like the Birkhill at Fireclay project. It's making that part of Murray City feel alittle bit more Urban. One thing that could be better if this project had underground parking. But at least the parking lots are hidden behind those buildings.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 1:17 AM

Downtown - One and Nine Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
update on the "one and nine condos", photo credits go to pentalon construction.

notice the price of gas at the food mart across the street. They dont even offer any ky jelly with that ouch!!!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 12:02 PM

SLC Metro - West Valley dreams up an ethnic crossroads development. "The Jordan River Marketplace"

By Maria Villasenor
The Salt Lake Tribune

WEST VALLEY CITY - Olmec stone-carved heads, a Vietnamese friendship statue and a Sudanese photo exhibit bring global arts to life at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center.
Now West Valley City officials hope to spread that ethnic ambience to dozens of acres just south of the center. Maybe a restaurant serving Pho Bo, a shop selling artisanal goods from Kenya and a market with a Middle Eastern-bazaar atmosphere could rise up on a makeshift parking lot now filled with grass and weeds on 3300 South.
"When people cross the Jordan River now, they see a vacant, undeveloped field - and it doesn't speak of who we are," Mayor Dennis Nordfelt said. "I want people - when they cross that river - to see something significant and know they are in West Valley City."
The site is envisioned as a nearly 32-acre welcome mat that Utah's second-largest city is set to soon put out to bid to see which developer can create the best plan for a Jordan River Marketplace to complement the nearby cultural center.
Although the look and specifics of the project are being left to prospective developers, Nordfelt has some ideas about what he would like to see.
"It would be a place where cultures could all come and find the products that are specific to [one of the cultures], and also entertainment that would be specific."
It could be a mixed-use district that includes high-density residential, commercial spaces, entertainment options and ethnic markets.
"We want it to be something really significant, something that would be a destination place," Nordfelt said, "and we also want it to create some harmony for the festival grounds and the Cultural Celebration Center."
Mixing the Jordan River Marketplace with the cultural center is a high priority.
"They are the anchor for that land there," says the city's project manager, Ralph Lee.
Lee has been working on land issues with the city, Salt Lake County and a private owner to revive - and revise - a 2006 plan for an international marketplace.
That proposal - also pegged to the cultural center - called for a multiethnic atmosphere with shops, bazaars, museums, open-air markets, even artists' residences. Many of those elements could return in this new plan.
"I would like to see it all being upper end, but not necessarily cookie cutter, a big restaurant chain or bookstore chain," said Ross Olsen, executive director of the cultural center. "I would like to see the more international flavor of our real community. West Valley City is the most diverse community in the state."
Uniting the city's many cultures is a top goal of the project, says City Councilman Corey Rushton, who envisions almost a "mini-Epcot."
Construction could start in a year.
The city also may build a road through the middle of the field, connecting 3300 South with 3100 South. But Lee hopes people don't just pass through.
"When they drive by it, it's going to suck 'em in, and they'll know they've arrived at a destination."
mariav@sltrib.com

What's next

On April 17, West Valley City will send proposals to developers for a design of the Jordan River Marketplace. The City Council probably will select a developer in September.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 9, 2008 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:38 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord
update on the "one and nine condos", photo credits go to pentalon construction.

notice the price of gas at the food mart across the street. They dont even offer any ky jelly with that ouch!!!
Viper! I just paid $3.79 a gallon here in Sacramento... I'd kill... well.... seriously slap someone for prices like that. Just firms my resolve to move out there sooner than later!

Of course, I'd have to give up my dancing tomato moniker: ...

I'd have to come up with a dancing jello salad I guess...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I really like the Birkhill at Fireclay project. It's making that part of Murray City feel alittle bit more Urban. One thing that could be better if this project had underground parking. But at least the parking lots are hidden behind those buildings.
Yeah, I always prefer underground parking if possible or a terrace is okay, if well disguised. Perhaps, future phases will accomodate underground parking. I think this development having such an advantageous location and TRAX at it's doorstep, is only going to lead to a lot of expansion of Birkhill.

Hey goldcntry, you must either be from the area or have family here, hence the jello salad comment, LOL.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 4:40 PM
Bring out the cranes...

price of gas no matter if it's $3.79 or $3.25 of $3.00 is a f*#cking joke. Gas shouldn't even be over $2.00, but yet it's almost twice as much as that. It's all just greed. Rich people getting greedy. I hate thinking that every time i'm filling up i'm giving these rich bastards my hard earn money. There is NO reason gas should be this high.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 5:18 PM

Salt Lake City - A Little Urban Diversion

Pictured below are one of the many varieties of wildlife species, which graze the urban rim of metro Salt Lake City.
Wildlife biologists will be on hand from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday to help visitors see mountain goats at the park-and-ride lot near the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. (Utah Division Of Wildlife Resources)

Above, Western portion of University of Utah, framed by Salt Lake's Wasatch Mountain Range

Discussion Contd...--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously Projects, I'm going to have my old Mercedes converted to CNG. It's only around 70 cents a gallon, you get the same mileage with it, and it's a tiny fraction of the pollution of a regular gas engine. Utah has one of the best networks in the country for CNG fuel stations. The Govenor had his big surburban converted. Anyway, I would do that before spending big bucks on a new car or another conventional gasoline engine. It's something to think about until electric becomes more mainstream.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 6:43 PM
Bring out the cranes...

That's not a bad idea to converted to CNG. I don't know how much more of this......

I can take.

Last edited by SLC Projects; Apr 9, 2008 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 10:25 AM

I understand there's a dealership in Arizona which specializes in selling converted CNG vehicles. I'll find out about it and let you know.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 1:43 PM

Salt Lake City Metro - The Proscenium Project

Proposed Sandy development
A little Broadway, much more gourmet
Theater cheerleaders say the pondered playhouse would attract fine dining

Deseret Morning News

By Derek P. Jensen
lThe Salt Lake Tribune
4/10/2008

Dining districts thrive in downtown Salt Lake City, which may explain why planners are plotting a new "restaurant row" for City Creek Center.
But duplicating that dynamic in Utah's suburbs most often means a meandering trek to a chain restaurant or a strip mall.
Tourists exiting TRAX in the capital can walk to a half-dozen sushi joints. And live-theater fans can cross a single downtown street for the Metropolitan or Bambara - not Applebee's.
Sandy cheerleaders hope to replicate that experience if the suburb lands a $50 million Broadway-class theater near City Hall. The pondered 2,800-seat playhouse, they say, would lure upscale eateries to boost the Broadway experience.
"It's certainly an enticement," says Sandy spokeswoman Trina Duerksen. "Mayor [Tom] Dolan has always said there's hardly anywhere to eat - it's hamburgers or the grocery store. There's always room for more of the upscale restaurants."
But is it realistic?
Salt Lake County Councilman Randy Horiuchi, himself a boisterous theater advocate, says it is. He notes the south valley is primed for gourmet options, especially since the bulk of the valley's population resides south of 4500 South.
"If this facility comes, will that gap be bridged?" he asks. "I think it can."
Horiuchi says Sandy, a suburb of 95,000 people and Utah's fifth most populous city, easily could support a steakhouse like Ruth's Chris or Morton's.
Indeed, Duerksen says, Sandy aggressively courted The Cheesecake Factory before the popular eatery opted to go to Murray instead. And each year, Sandy sends a delegation to Las Vegas to court restaurants and retailers at the International Council of Shopping Centers convention.
But those efforts are likely to lure chains, not the private bistros popular with the wine-and-cheese crowd.
And that begs a question about corporate saturation. Already, that congested stretch of Sandy has McGrath's, Olive Garden, Mimi's Cafe, Chili's, T.G.I. Friday's, Carvers, Texas Roadhouse and more.
The proposed theater, which would be just southwest of City Hall, is but one element in a planned $500 million makeover that includes office, residential and retail buildings. And business leaders bet more people will mean more appetite.
"People can reach this location [just east of Interstate 15 near 10000 South] easily from any part of the Salt Lake Valley, thanks to a great freeway and the UTA transit system," says Nancy Workman, president and CEO of the Sandy Area Chamber of Commerce. "Even Utah County people are excited. They say they come here to work so they would love to just stay, dine and go to a Broadway play. We have lots of incredible restaurants with more on the way."
To be sure, the definition of "incredible" depends on the mouth of the beholder. But with theater as an anchor, more white tablecloths soon could shroud the suburb - even if the best menu item is a corporate steak.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 5:22 PM

Salt Lake City Metro - Urban Resorts - Snowbird & Alta Ski Tunnel - A North American First - Recently Completed

On the SunKid wonder carpet through the Peruvian Tunnel (Picture: Snowbird Resort)

Salt Lake's Snowbird Resort

SKI TUNNEL - Video Link

http://www.snowbird.com/about/constr.../peruvian.html

Sports Gear Magazine

Snowbird - North America’s First Ski Area Tunnel and New Peruvian Express Quad
The first of its kind in North America, Snowbird’s new nearly 600-foot tunnel houses a conveyor lift that transports skiers and riders from Peruvian Gulch into Mineral Basin. Located at the top of the new Peruvian Express high-speed quad, the 12-foot high, 10-foot wide tunnel provides a four-minute ride to intermediate terrain in Mineral Basin. The new tunnel and lift makes intermediate terrain more accessible to skiers and riders by eliminating many switchbacks and the steepest pitch of Chip’s Run. It also provides an efficient way to reach Hidden Peak without the use of the Tram.

Tunnel Facts
· Final approval granted August 10, 2005
· Work began August 17, 2005
· Mining contractor: Small Mine Development, LLC, out of Boise, ID. (208) 338-8880.
· Dimensions: Approximately 600 feet long, 12 feet high and 10 feet wide
· Conveyor lift: 30 inches wide (48 inches for entire mechanism), 160 feet per min, 4 minute ride, 6-foot wide walking ramp
· 7 percent grade
· One-way access into Mineral Basin
· 350 feet below Gorilla Pass on the Peruvian side, 300 feet below pass on Mineral side
· ADA compliant
· Entire project is on private land
· Timeline: Completed

Chairlift Facts
· Manufacturer: CTEC-Doppelmayer
· Cost: $5.6 million
· 8000 linear feet
· 2600 vertical feet
· 1800 people per hour
· 8 minute ride
· 29 lift towers
· 4 towers on public land, remainder of project on private