HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 4:56 PM

Would a BRT on State St. get used much? For much of the route from SLC to Sandy, TRAX is already a block away.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 5:40 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I would guess that if they are talking about it, that it would. I'm not sure on any of the numbers, but I often drive on State and I see a lot of people waiting for buses all the time. There are so many businesses on State that I think it probably would bet used. Trax is so focused on getting people downtown, a State BRT would get people to and from locals on and around state better.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 6:37 PM

I agree with FutureMayor, I think a BRT line on State Street would be successful. I've ridden the buses on State Street and they're generally full throughout the day.

For BRT to be a success in Utah something in the culture will have to change. There is a negative stigma attached to riding the bus whether it is accurate or not. For some reason riding a train is a completely acceptable form of mass transit for many in the valley but not a bus.The express buses are full of commuters every morning but the regular routes in and out of downtown are generally not full of downtown employees. I'm not sure what the solution would be but there will have to be a change.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:15 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

January Viaduct Update

Since last month visible changes at the Viaduct project have been:

1. More work on the deck itself in preparation for the pouring of concrete.
2. A massive excavation on the east side of the Viaduct to remove old pipe and such and prepare new pipe and for Geofoam.
3. The placing of many blocks of Geofoam on the west side of the Viaduct.

FrontRunner is so awesome!

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Jan 14, 2011 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 5:50 AM
Lurker

Amazing update! It looks great with the FrontRunner train underneath it!

I can't wait for the Airport line to open up! I guess I'm learning to be patient about it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 6:08 AM
Lurker

Mountain View Corridor

I just discovered this PDF:

http://www.udot.utah.gov/mountainvie...lternative.pdf

Apparently, there could be a Mountain View Corridor TRAX line from the Airport to Herriman. There's also an extension of the West Valley Line to Magna!

Does anyone know how likely these are to happen or how far in the process these routes are?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 12:40 PM

Murray plans new connection linking TRAX, Fireclay and City Center

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/neighbo...main.html.csp#

Murray • Unless you live here, there’s not much reason to wander west of State Street around 4800 South. And if you do, you’ll find limited routes to get back on your way, because Main Street ends to the north and Cottonwood Street ends to the south.

That’s likely to change in a few years if Murray succeeds in redeveloping its City Center District near the Intermountain Medical Center. To help create a vibrant housing and entertainment district there, the city is working with the Utah Department of Transportation to punch a new route — or perhaps a pair of one-way connections — through the area...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:23 PM
farmerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
I agree with FutureMayor, I think a BRT line on State Street would be successful. I've ridden the buses on State Street and they're generally full throughout the day.

For BRT to be a success in Utah something in the culture will have to change. There is a negative stigma attached to riding the bus whether it is accurate or not. For some reason riding a train is a completely acceptable form of mass transit for many in the valley but not a bus.The express buses are full of commuters every morning but the regular routes in and out of downtown are generally not full of downtown employees. I'm not sure what the solution would be but there will have to be a change.
That's because riding the bus in most of my experience has sucked. Why would anyone choose to ride the bus when they have the option of train. I'm all about more options, so if we have BRT on State that's for sure better than nothing. But it seems kind of silly to promote the idea that people should be OK with riding busses vs. trains when they are clearly reasons why people dislike busses. Maybe we should instead look into reasons why people prefer trains. I can't think of any advantages to riding the bus vs. train.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:25 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

That's good to hear. Murray has a lot of potential at the 5300 S Trax/FrontRunner station, with, IMC, and the city center close by. Some additional medium to high density residential between the rail and "downtown" could really make that a nice urban node. Combine that with the Fireclay station at 45th and Murray could have two great urban nodes.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:30 PM

Well, one benefit of buses from the passenger's perspective is that you can stop much closer to your destination in most cases, as there are usually several stops per block and you can request whichever one you want. I'm not sure if that would be the same with 'BRT' though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:57 PM
farmerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Well, one benefit of buses from the passenger's perspective is that you can stop much closer to your destination in most cases, as there are usually several stops per block and you can request whichever one you want. I'm not sure if that would be the same with 'BRT' though.
True, busses have benefits in terms of destination, but I can't think of any in terms of rider experience.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 9:44 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

A true BRT is very much like light rail, without the cost of the tracks and trains. It has a dedicated lane, signal prioritization, and fewer stops.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 6:47 AM

North Temple Viaduct

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 7:36 AM
Lurker

It looks as if they're working faster on the southern (traffic) side of the viaduct than the northern (TRAX) side. I knew the bridge would be open to cars before trains, but I guess they're making it in two segments or the other side hasn't arrived yet. I'm anxious to see work on the North side of the viaduct!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 8:26 PM

Video of Mountain View Corridor and Light Rail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlWoc...layer_embedded

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 2:44 AM
Lurker

Here's a longer version of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYA8X...eature=related

It says BRT wil run on the center two lanes, and if necessary, will be upgraded to a "High capacity rail line." That means TRAX, right?

Last edited by SLCdude; Jan 20, 2011 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 5:51 AM
Exit 298

... as demand justifies. I'd expect an "enhanced bus" for phase 1 (a normal bus with ticket machines at stations), which would evolve into dedicated BRT bus lanes as ridership demands it, and eventually TRAX .... but that could be decades (25+ years) away.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 9:05 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Has anyone ever heard of the Deseret Power Railroad (Deseret Western Railway)?

It's a rare example of an electrified freight rail service in the United States. It began operations in 1984 with its track built in a loop to connect the Bonanza coal power plant with coal mines in a geographic area between Utah and Colorado. The electrified trains operating on this line have been very economic and continue to operate successfully today.

To find out more follow this link to UtahRails.net:
http://utahrails.net/utahrails/deseret-western.php

Images by DWHonan on flickr.com

In reading about this and seeing these pictures I can't help but think, why doesn't Union Pacific electrify its freight lines along the Wasatch Front?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
In reading about this and seeing these pictures I can't help but think, why doesn't Union Pacific electrify its freight lines along the Wasatch Front?
Well, UP sort of does have electrified freight lines. A UP engineer told me that the locomotives they use have diesel engines that only run electric generators for the electric motors that actually pull the train. So, they create their own electricity on board instead of getting it via wire.

Wikipedia: "A diesel-electric transmission system includes a diesel engine connected to an electrical generator, creating electricity that powers electric traction motors.... This kind of power transmission is used on railways by diesel electric locomotives and diesel electric multiple units as only electric motors are able to supply full torque at 0 RPM. Diesel-electric systems are also used in submarines and surface ships and some land vehicles."

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel-...c_transmission

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 4:23 AM
Let It Rise!

New Trax Trains

I saw a Test Run of the New Trax Trains today running on the University Line at 5th East and 4th South. They used 4 sets of cars and they looked really cool. Did anyone else see them?

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West