HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 8:46 PM

Navy Yard on track to be D.C.’s most densely populated neighborhood

Navy Yard on track to be D.C.’s most densely populated neighborhood

By Sadie Dingfelder
January 8, 2016
Washington Post

Yards Park is one of the reasons that renters are flocking to the Navy Yard/Capitol Riverfront neighborhood. (Image courtesy of the Washington Post)

"When Mark Elsesser, 36, moved into the Navy Yard neighborhood in June 2014, he could sit on his couch and watch the sun set over the Anacostia River. Today, an 11-story apartment building blocks the western portion of his view, and, soon, two more high-rises will blot out what remains.

“We’ll miss seeing the river, but we knew that’s what would happen when we moved in,” says Elsesser, who set up house at Twelve12 (1212 4th St. SE; 202-479-2734) with his girlfriend the month it opened. “Every other month it seems like a new apartment building pops up in this neighborhood.”

He’s hardly exaggerating. In the past five years, 10 new apartments, condo buildings, retail and office buildings have opened in the Navy Yard neighborhood (which is also known as Capitol Riverfront or Near Southeast); 14 are currently under construction and 17 more are in the pipeline. Most of the new buildings are being turned into apartments, with a sprinkling of condos, retail and office space..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/expre...-neighborhood/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 2:17 PM

13th & U Street

Here is a photo I took two weeks ago of JBG's 13th and U Street, NW, development. 129 residential units and ground-floor retail are planned. This is about a half a block form the U Street metro station.

Here is a rendering of the development:

Image courtesy of BisNow.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 2:40 PM

909 Half Street, SE

Here is a photo of 909 Half Street, SE, that I took the other morning. Ruben Companies and Related Companies are building 383 residential units here.

JD Land has some more information about this development, including a rendering.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 8:09 PM

Homewood Suites (M Street, SE)

Here are two photos I took on Friday of the Homewood Suites that is under construction near the National stadium in Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard neighborhood. This will have 195 rooms and is located on M Street, SE.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 6:02 PM

4 more single family homes gone, to be replaced with this higher-density beauty.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 10:12 PM

Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard development

Here are some photos I took over the past week of development in the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard.

Marina in front of the Yards Park:

82 I Street:

Agora/Whole Foods:

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 10:25 PM

500 L'Enfant Plaza

This is unfortunate. This past fall I noticed that construction seemed to have stalled and the tower crane was removed.

500 L'Enfant Plaza on Hold?

"Construction began about a year ago on 500 L’Enfant Plaza, a “trophy” class office building developed by The JBG Companies. The building began construction on spec, or without an anchor tenant. However, after building the foundation and loading dock, it appears construction has been stopped for the past couple of months. Has the project been placed on hold until an anchor tenant has been found?"

http://www.swtlqtc.com/2016/01/500-l...a-on-hold.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 10:28 PM

100-Unit Development on the Boards For Vacant Lot in Truxton Circle

100-Unit Development on the Boards For Vacant Lot in Truxton Circle

January 25, 2016
Urban Turf

"There aren’t many details yet, but a 100-unit residential development is in the planning stages for DC’s Truxton Circle neighborhood.

Early plans for the project in a vacant lot on P Street NE were presented by developer John Sunter at last week’s Hanover Civic Association (HACA) meeting. HACA’s Leon Braddell told UrbanTurf that the development could include commercial space and underground parking…"

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...king_lot/10795

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 9:15 PM

Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard

Updated Design for Residential Project Planned for McDonald's Site
http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/4...-for-McDonald/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 2:30 PM

Buzzard Point development

Gooooallllllll!! The area surrounding the upcoming DC United futbol stadium will dramatically different in a few years.

More Buzzard Point Residential Development Planned

"DC-based MRP has long-term plans for a mixed-use development across from the planned DC United stadium on Buzzard Point. The site in question is a group of warehouses on the 1800 block of Half Street, including Ziegfield’s/Secrets. The site has been for sale for some time now. There were clues that MRP had plans to develop on Buzzard Point – the first being one of the firm’s principles stated it during a speech at the Capitol Riverfront BID's annual meeting I attended last month, although the site was not identified during his remarks. The second clue was a little more obvious...the Office of Planning’s Buzzard Point Design Framework Plan states MRP was one of the owners of the Half Street site. The Washington Business Journal reports that the proposed development will be a 300,000 SF residential over retail building, but construction will not begin until after the stadium is built, so it's still too early to know exactly what will be constructed…"

http://www.swtlqtc.com/2016/02/more-...sidential.html

MRP Realty strikes deal to acquire prime Buzzard Point development site

By Daniel J. Sernovitz
Feb. 12, 2016
Washington Business Journal

"Another piece of the Buzzard Point development map is coming into focus ahead of D.C. United's planned soccer stadium in Southwest D.C.

MRP Realty has reached an agreement to acquire several properties in the 1800 block of Half Street SW, including what's now the Ziegfeld's/Secrets nightclub at the northeast corner of Half and T streets, where it plans to develop a 300,000-square-foot multifamily-over-retail project. The site is bounded by Half, Water, S and T streets SW. Across Half Street to the west is the planned stadium site…"

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...oint-site.html

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 2:34 PM

Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard development updates

JD Land has some good updates of much of the construction in the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard neighborhood.

February Update on Vertical Construction, Incomplete Edition
http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/4...plete-Edition/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 3:17 PM

First look at NewCityDC, the massive next phase in Douglas' plan for Northeast

First look at NewCityDC, the massive next phase in Douglas' plan for Northeast

By Michael Neibauer
Washington Business Journal
Feb. 19, 2016

"The Hecht Warehouse District — with its 350 apartments, 350,000 square feet of retail and 1,000-space parking garage — represents Douglas Development’s big bet on, and bigger investment in, Northeast D.C.’s Ivy City neighborhood.

But the warehouse, the first phase of which recently delivered, is only the beginning. Douglas has something much larger brewing only a couple of blocks to the east. It’s called NewCityDC.

The 15-acre triangular site, which Douglas controls largely through contracts, is bounded by New York Avenue, Montana Avenue and Bladensburg Road NE. Matthew Jemal, a Douglas vice president, said NewCityDC is currently planned for 550,000 square feet of retail, a 108-room hotel, 200 apartments and 2,800 parking spaces..."

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...n.html?ana=twt

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 3:19 PM

Zoning Commission Gives Approval to District Winery Design

Exciting news for the Navy Yard/Capitol Riverfront.

Zoning Commission Gives Approval to District Winery Design
http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/4...Winery-Design/

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 9:56 PM

Frager's Hardware building

There are new plans to redevelop the Frager's site on PA Ave, SE, which was destroyed in a fire a few years ago. The new development will have a replacement location for Frager's as well as 30 - 40 condos ranging from one to three bedrooms.

First Images of the Frager’s Site Development – Hardware Store, Condos, and Retail

Image courtesy of Capitol Hill Corner.

Image courtesy of Capitol Hill Corner.

http://capitolhillcorner.org/2016/02...os-and-retail/

DC Urban Turf also has information about the plans for the Frager's development.

First Look at the Redevelopment of Frager’s Hardware Site
http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...are_site/10912

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Here is a rendering of the development:

Image courtesy of BisNow.
Wow! this looks really nice, reminds me of a building I saw in Boston.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 10:34 PM

Hines Site at 7th & PA Ave SE

View from PA Ave SE

View from 7th St SE

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 2:52 PM

I hadn't been down to DC since 2009, and that was only to see the "then world champion" Phillies play the Nats. Well - how things change.
Wow, the amount of construction in DC, and surrounding cities was insane. Are that many people really moving to the DC area? I talked to one guy and he said, "we didn't have any recession here." Although very impressive, overall the vast majority of the residential buildings are very cookie-cutter. But hey, if I could afford whatever they are charging for a 1 bedroom, ...not saying I wouldn't live there.

Just a few pics:

Driving into town -
[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled

Chinatown area

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Around the Shaw metro stop:

(starting to see those Philly based - La Columbe's now).

I think closer to Logan Circle now

I liked the looks of the new African American museum under construction - but heard about the local arguments over it..., and how will that facade maintain over time??

Was out in Arlington around the Crystal City stop and more and more big apartment buildings going up (15-20 storeys). Also in Alexandria, just outside of the Old Town area. Everywhere really.

I didn't venture down to the Navy Yard - it's growth is well documented here and the press.
In the past five years, 10 new apartments, condo buildings, retail and office buildings have opened in the Navy Yard neighborhood (which is also known as Capitol Riverfront or Near Southeast); 14 are currently under construction and 17 more are in the pipeline.

--that quote posted above from the Post is wild!

#barbathroompolitics

Last edited by Jawnadelphia; Feb 28, 2016 at 2:54 PM. Reason: politics

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 3:36 PM

Good photos! I hope you enjoyed your visit. You're right, the recession largely skipped over DC. From 2008 through maybe 2011, DC largely provided the best economic opportunities for educated college graduates, partly as a result of the stimulus. However, as the rest of the country continues to recover and as the sequestration cuts limited federal government hiring and hiring for related contractors, that growth has softened a bit. Residential rents have stabilized a bit and areas in Northern Virginia have higher office vacancy rates.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 3:38 PM

TallCoolOne:
Quote:
I didn't venture down to the Navy Yard - it's growth is well documented here and the press.
We live in the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard neighborhood and you are absolutely right, the growth both here and across South Capitol Street in Southwest is amazing.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 4:20 PM

DC streetcar grand opening!

Here are a couple of photos I took with my phone yesterday from the much-anticipated H Street streetcar opening.

There was a marching band from Eastern High School for the opening ceremony.

The streetcar car barn and training facility near the eastern terminus at Oklahoma Ave.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations