HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 6:16 PM

Winnipeg City Transit/Rapid Transit

Hello everyone!

Newbie here!

I happened to stumble across this site and have to say I enjoy reading the threads on this forum.

Born and raised in Winnipeg! I have to say I've always enjoyed living here however at times I feel frustrated with this city knowing that it can become so much more then what it already is. There have been many changes over the years that have shown progress however one that has been lacking many years now and still is to this very day is our city transportation.

I am frankly fed up with the way this city has been dealing with this "Major" issue. I've been a frequent rider now for almost 2 years and cannot believe how horrible are transit system is.

I researched our past history on transportation and can't believe what we use to have. Looked at pictures of what it once was and have to say it looked friggin cool! What has happened to this city? I know there's priorities that the city and province need to deal with first (ex: roads, bridges, community centers, etc.) however we cannot forget how important transportation is to a city.

There have been talks for many years now regarding how we'll be able to implement Rapid Transit and what will work and what will not. We've spent a lot of time and money on this and where have we gotten with it???

If this city wants to promote a new image for itself and truly help global warming environment issues (as it's now become a great concern globally) we need to start making some noise people.........

We have money that's being put into place for a superplex development in the Bronx community center.....why? ( I call it a superplex because this is “NOT” what a community park is suppose to be) I understand the center has deteriorated and needs rejuvenation but you can't tell me we need a building facility that's going to accommodate public activities that are already a short distance away (ex: YMCA, Gateway, etc.) This money has been taken from our Transportation fund to help do what? If the city honestly thinks that by building a superplex community center in the Bronx Park is going to help redevelop its community with recreation sports activities, it may work for a while but I can't see it working long term. Develop a new club house but not to what the proposal is asking for it’s friggin ridiculous.

This is money that is not being spent well at all.

City complains how expensive it is to implement Rapid Transit and that we don’t have the money for it. However, what they don't seem to understand is that..... Yes, it is expensive and it will always be expensive however the longer this gets placed on hold the more expensive it's going to be due to inflation. Why put it on hold? Why have a target plan of possible implementing it in 10 to 20yrs.....what good does that do for our city? It completely boggles my mind.

I asked a bus driver yesterday when we're suppose to get the new articulated buses? He didn't want say because he was almost embarrassed to tell me that it looks like we're not going see them until close to the end of the year when we were originally suppose see them arrive apparently this spring after the redevelopment of the bus depot’s which is to accommodate the new longer buses.

How much time and money was put into Rapid Transit Task Force? Honestly, how effective was that really? Got a team put together, all did there research came up with a pretty decent proposal and then got turned down. Why? Because there are other priorities to address first before we can think about implementing Rapid Transit. Hello!?!?!? So you’re saying City Transportation is not important? Give me a friggin break!

I went to a Moose game last Friday decided to hop on the bus for the first time as I usually drive to the games and I have to say that was one of my worst experiences ever! Going to the game was ok.........however after the game was finished try to catch a bus on the way home was a joke!

I had to wait for the number 11. There were a ton of people waiting for this bus. One shows up??? Everyone pushed and shoved their way on the bus which was already packed as is. The bus driver didn't even seem impressed. Why? Why only one bus? Especially after an event like that. I just don't get it.....

I can rant and go on with this for hours. It just makes me sick! By writing this, I wanted to actually see how many people feel the same way that I do……….

Rapid Transit would do wonders for this city and I can't believe to this day we're still fighting with it. Will it ever see the light of day? We don't need it in 10yrs-20yrs............ We need it now!

Nuff said.

Last edited by Alva360; Mar 7, 2007 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 11:33 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Welcome to SSP.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 12:00 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Welcome to SSP.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. There's been just too many factors that made this city lose opportunities, and gained more problems over the years. Lot's of "mistakes" have occurred, and the negligible planning that was involved, as well as the amount of bureaucracy that was going on. I don't know if you knew this before, but we almost had a subway in this city. If someone has a link to more of this info, I'm sure they'd be happy to provide you.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Welcome to SSP.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. There's been just too many factors that made this city lose opportunities, and gained more problems over the years. Lot's of "mistakes" have occurred, and the negligible planning that was involved, as well as the amount of bureaucracy that was going on. I don't know if you knew this before, but we almost had a subway in this city. If someone has a link to more of this info, I'm sure they'd be happy to provide you.
Thanks dude!

Oh yeah! I knew about the subway........ It looked to be a brilliant idea done by Norman Wilson. It totally sucks that it got turned down.

These guys below are still trying to make it happen............

http://www.truwinnipeg.org

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 2:49 PM
Density and complexity

Here is a list of rapid transit plans for Winnipeg through the decades: from subways to diamond lanes
http://uwto.org/transit_plans.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 2:52 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Here is a list of rapid transit plans for Winnipeg through the decades: from subways to diamond lanes
http://uwto.org/transit_plans.html
Well i'm thoroughly depressed now..

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 8:42 PM
visionary

oh here is an article http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/june2005/san_mateo that could help our ridership . They say "to make transit an attractive alternative to driving, bus stops have to be more than just waiting areas they should be attractive, mixed-use destinations." so maybe we have the total function of our major bus stops all wrong. I dunno its just an idea. Maybe there should be small stores and restaurants that u can buy a paper and eat on the go like a 7/11 and Tim hortons while waiting for the next bus . In that article it is said: 'Turning Transit Stops and Stations into "Places"
San Mateo's commuter rail stations and bus stops should be attractive, mixed-use destinations that give people an extra incentive to take transit.' so maybe thats part of the answer to increase ridership.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 5:15 AM

subway

Quote:
Welcome to SSP.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. There's been just too many factors that made this city lose opportunities, and gained more problems over the years. Lot's of "mistakes" have occurred, and the negligible planning that was involved, as well as the amount of bureaucracy that was going on.I think every technical issue should be solved using 192.168.1.100 IP Login Guide, Username & Password for easy logins in all systems for betterment of plans.I don't know if you knew this before, but we almost had a subway in this city. If someone has a link to more of this info, I'm sure they'd be happy to provide you.
Sure man, the subways have completely transformed the city's architecture.
Here is alink to know about past subways and their characteristics.
https://www.britannica.com/technology/subway

Last edited by blocker1; Oct 13, 2019 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 6:11 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Welcome to SSP.

You're free to peruse the Winnipeg Tribune & Free Press archives and search for the BIG story 60 years ago about the Wilson subway (1959) and the WATS subway (1968-69) plans.

The first you can freely search and view, the second you need a WPL card #to login.

Winnipeg Tribune Archive (hosted at the U of M):

https://digitalcollections.lib.umani...uofm%3A1243378

Winnipeg Free Press
https://wpl-dbs.winnipeg.ca/login?ur...archive.com/ca

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:40 AM

Last edited by LilZebra; Aug 10, 2019 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 4:24 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Well, if we can convince the whole city to kick out ALL of those who are running at city hall right now (at this point, I don't care what colours they're flying), then perhaps we can have a better transit system. Hell, maybe even a better city after all! It'll be up to the new guys to clean up the mess that previous councillors/mayors who made some indecisive mistakes over the last...oh... 50 years! It's one of the reasons why I call this place "Soviet Canuckistan."

I'm really disappointed on when those articulated buses are supposed to come this year when apparently, they haven't even started ways to accommodate them. So much bureaucracy involved in this city, it's so frustrating.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 7:32 PM
ABOVE people like you

Is Articulating same as Accordian Style Bus

Quote:
Well, if we can convince the whole city to kick out ALL of those who are running at city hall right now (at this point, I don't care what colours they're flying), then perhaps we can have a better transit system. Hell, maybe even a better city after all! It'll be up to the new guys to clean up the mess that previous councillors/mayors who made some indecisive mistakes over the last...oh... 50 years! It's one of the reasons why I call this place "Soviet Canuckistan."

I'm really disappointed on when those articulated buses are supposed to come this year when apparently, they haven't even started ways to accommodate them. So much bureaucracy involved in this city, it's so frustrating.
What needs to be done to accomodate articulating buses? Are those not the accordian style buses that just travel on regular roadways? Although I am an EXpatriot Winnipeger I am currently in Sherwood Park which is adjacent to Edmonton. In addition to the Edmonton Transit System both Sherwood Park and St. Albert Transit Systems operate the accordian style buses.

Is there a difference

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-MAN View Post
What needs to be done to accomodate articulating buses? Are those not the accordian style buses that just travel on regular roadways? Although I am an EXpatriot Winnipeger I am currently in Sherwood Park which is adjacent to Edmonton. In addition to the Edmonton Transit System both Sherwood Park and St. Albert Transit Systems operate the accordian style buses.

Is there a difference
Articulated is just the proper term for accordion buses. There are also double articulated buses which I know operate in South America

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 10:31 PM
ABOVE people like you

Articulating Buses

Quote:

Jabroni, based on the responses to my question regarding articulating buses what would you be referencing regarding accomodating them. The roadways as they are could easily handle them. As mentioned in my last post numberous small cities such as St. Albert and Sherwood Park here in Alberta have these buses. I'm not sure that there would be any reason for a hold up on Winnipeg getting these.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-MAN View Post
Jabroni, based on the responses to my question regarding articulating buses what would you be referencing regarding accomodating them. The roadways as they are could easily handle them. As mentioned in my last post numberous small cities such as St. Albert and Sherwood Park here in Alberta have these buses. I'm not sure that there would be any reason for a hold up on Winnipeg getting these.
The problem isn't the roads, but the garages where the buses stay. Apparently the new buses are too long to fit in our current garages.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 9:25 AM

The Free Press and the U of W held a Plan Your Winnipeg competition for elementary school students.

Sunday's paper had a couple of suggestions rapid transit related:

Photo caption bottom left of page B5 reads:

Quote:
Darwin Roque's Train-O-Matic: two subway systems
and on page B6:

Quote:
Others suggested taxing surface parking lots at a higher rate or getting the city to buy up some eyesore parcels for new developments. All good, bold ideas, that have been batted around before with no result.

Here's some other stuff they want: A rapid transit system, preferably an LRT...
Reference: Welch, Mary Agnes, "Young Eyes on the Town". Winnipeg Free Press, March 25, 2007, pp. B5-B6.

Hmmm... no BRT plans from the students, although some were not thinking enough and suggested turning surface parking into "green gardens".... Nooo kiddies... please turn those parking lots into hi-rise apartments, condos., and office towers.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Hmmm... no BRT plans from the students, although some were not thinking enough and suggested turning surface parking into "green gardens".... Nooo kiddies... please turn those parking lots into hi-rise apartments, condos., and office towers.
Actually, that green garden idea was from one of the undergrad students from U of M's faculty of Architecture (not quite a 'kiddie' anymore). It was more theoretical than practical as it posed the question of what do we do with all this road/parking infrastructure when it is no longer needed in the distant future (because we'll all be using public transit because of environmental concerns / price of gas). like i said, theoretical, but not quite practical - but it wasn't meant to be.

that being said, it was one of my more favorite ideas because it was one of the only projects that didn't focus on a single project to answer the question "Plan Your Winnipeg" (ie: a new building; a reworked mall; revamped courtyard). They're all great ideas, but we all know how (un)successful it is pinning our hopes to strengthen Winnipeg on a single project (ie: City Hall, Portage Place, MTS Centre), but when put together as a whole plan, things work out great (ie: St. Boniface or Osborne Village with their mix of shops, residences, business, services, parks, etc.) I was hoping to see more of that from the Adult category at last week's exhibition.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 8:12 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.online View Post
Actually, that green garden idea was from one of the undergrad students from U of M's faculty of Architecture (not quite a 'kiddie' anymore). It was more theoretical than practical as it posed the question of what do we do with all this road/parking infrastructure when it is no longer needed in the distant future (because we'll all be using public transit because of environmental concerns / price of gas). like i said, theoretical, but not quite practical - but it wasn't meant to be.

that being said, it was one of my more favorite ideas because it was one of the only projects that didn't focus on a single project to answer the question "Plan Your Winnipeg" (ie: a new building; a reworked mall; revamped courtyard). They're all great ideas, but we all know how (un)successful it is pinning our hopes to strengthen Winnipeg on a single project (ie: City Hall, Portage Place, MTS Centre), but when put together as a whole plan, things work out great (ie: St. Boniface or Osborne Village with their mix of shops, residences, business, services, parks, etc.) I was hoping to see more of that from the Adult category at last week's exhibition.
I disagree, Osborne is not succesfull as it is now, it's very trashy and dangerous, look at crimestat and you'll see the concentration of crime going on there... i was living there but get annoyed by drunk/punk and started to feel unsafe in the latter days.
Downtown as it is now it's way better then many residential neighboroughs, it's cleaner and very well illuminated at night, and i start to see more and more people at nights (of which the percentage of drunks seem decreasing), yesterday night at 12:00 a.m. the bus was pretty full
I think single projects, not necessarily huge, are still helpful.

I do not agree with newflyer for many things he say, considering that I'm communist ... but it's probably true that with more money going around and and a plan for downtown things would get better really fast, it's all about the money.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 9:07 PM
Majestic

I wonder if it has ever occurred to Newflyer that a rapid transit system could help build the economy... but wait, that is blasphemy. MUST GET RID OF ALL TAXATION! YARRRRR!!! :pirate:

IMO, it's a short term pain for a long term gain. Even that could be reduced through alternative financing methods (such as the TIF, as stated by the OP).

Don't sell yourselves short W-Peg.

Flickr

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 12:23 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
I wonder if it has ever occurred to Newflyer that a rapid transit system could help build the economy... but wait, that is blasphemy. MUST GET RID OF ALL TAXATION! YARRRRR!!! :pirate:
Oh the irony!

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan