HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:03 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Since he is ignoring me... he shouldn't see this.

Here is our own jimj_wpg addressing City Hall regarding BRT back in 2004.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
my current hometown Ottawa is constructing a massive new LRT development, it will be approx 13 km long with 13 stations, most importantly cutting right through downtown ottawa on rideau street (ottawa equivalent of portage) all it took was 600 million from the feds and another 600 million from the province of ontario
and 900 million from the city......
No kidding that Provincial and Federal funding help get things moving on rapid transit projects. In Greater Vancouver, The Canada Line ($1.9B,completed 2009)and the Evergreen Line (1.4B, u/c) were / are cost-shared by the federal, provincial gov'ts and the regional transit authority. The Canada line also had a P3 partner involved.

But seriously, if money can't be 'found' for LRT, then build a network of grade-separated busways. A bus moving station to station at speeds upward of 80km/hr is travel-time-wise no different than an LRT (less capacity), and busways can ALWAYS be upgraded to LRT...

Like your system in Ottawa is.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:10 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post

Video Link
Oh yes, LRT and Feeders. What happens if a train gets stuck on the tracks and Winnipeg Transit rids itself of main routes? Not that were getting LRT anyway, although a Downtown or Airport Tram would be rather nice... and ALOT LESS EXPENSIVE. A people-moving LRT system downtown would free up the D30LFs for other areas (R79, R75) to provide late night service. Or throw in a Waverley West feeder. After extensively riding the SWRTC (first shuttle, first Sunday bus, up at 6 am yesterday morning on 162 to see how people react/ridership), I'm highly content with what we have, and as I said to CBC Radio during an interview on that bus, I hope that TOD comes with future stages and that either Phase 2 or the WRTC is next... (West RT Corridor, cause I'm in St James).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post

Video Link
Way to present yourself appropriately to council members....

I know it doesn't really matter here but I just have a hard time taking someone seriously when they don't seem to respect themselves enough to present themselves in an appropriate manner.

That aside,

While I would have liked Winnipeg to have first gone with LRT, I'm happy to see that we finally have a ball rolling on a rapid transit system, and hopefully the momentum doesn't stop soon!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 5:51 PM

in fairness ottawa was fortunate in that the original south north LRT line was an already existing track, all they did was plop a new train on it and build 5 stations, it cost the city only 23 million, that being said i always thought it was the dumbest LRT in the world and literally nobody uses it except students at my school for the two most southern stops, it will compliment the new line to some degree but the existing BRT will really be awesome when combined with that new track

*will say it again, a well designed BRT, such as the one i use everyday instead of my car which now collects dust, is the best solution for a medium sized city, ottawa has a metro of 1.1 mil ppl and only now are the actually putting in LRT (old line doesn't count) and only doing so because they received 1.2 billion in government funds (well bc it is the capital ) to those firmly rooted LRT folks it does not make sense for a city of 700,000 who will probably never receive similar funding to even consider LRT at this point, lets get a better bus system that encourages non public transit riders to start using

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 8:37 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post

Next lifetime I'm choosing to be born in a BIG city like New York or Chicago.

They have lots and lots and lots of trains of every type...Some above ground some below. Going to the airport, to parks, CBDs.

Commuter, rail-based rapid transit, etc...
living in crowded cities is exciting for young people... but after? Having to spend hours on commuting can get very tiring... Of course if you have a great job that pays enough to live close to where you work is a different story

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
living in crowded cities is exciting for young people... but after? Having to spend hours on commuting can get very tiring... Of course if you have a great job that pays enough to live close to where you work is a different story
I never understood how people could work downtown but would never live downtown. It must be because of a housing shortage, and public perception. I don't see how walking two blocks is an inconvenience to one. Especially when a car isn't needed. and when indoor bridges are available during the winter for those who want to use that as an excuse.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:12 AM

Took a ride on the BRT over the weekend, the Osborne station is really impressive.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:39 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I never understood how people could work downtown but would never live downtown. It must be because of a housing shortage, and public perception. I don't see how walking two blocks is an inconvenience to one. Especially when a car isn't needed. and when indoor bridges are available during the winter for those who want to use that as an excuse.
I like growing a garden in my backyard.

The great thing about Winnipeg is that you can own a house quite easily within jogging distance of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:04 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I personally hate the suburbs, i hate the idea that i would have to cut my lawn just because the laws require so, and I would hate to be forced to drive a car to go somewhere, but most people like them so... I can see why with someone with kids it would be the best option though

-------------

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:55 AM

I for one live in one of those "new suburbs". I long for the day when wifey and I can sell and move downtown near where I grew up. there are certain advantages in living in the burbs when it comes to raising up young children. I certainly miss walking to a neighborhood coffee shop for breakfast and just enjoying city life buzz by.

I regularly visit downtown once or twice a week when feasible. And certainly letting the kids walk around and grasp the feel of urban life will certainly help condition them. I think it's sad for parents to let there perceptions weather true or not alienate their offspring from the experience of city life.

We have it good here, and yes there is improvement to be had, but so does everywhere else.

I for one don't understand why developers are afraid to go big (30 plus stories, mix developmental) within the boring parking lots of downtown. Considering where this wave of immigration is coming from. (higher density countries). Why they just don't build them I don't get it. These new immigrants are buying $400000 homes for god's sake.

Plus they come from countries where public commute is a norm.

?????reassess your market>>>>"developers"

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:01 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
I for one live in one of those "new suburbs". I long for the day when wifey and I can sell and move downtown near where I grew up. there are certain advantages in living in the burbs when it comes to raising up young children. I certainly miss walking to a neighborhood coffee shop for breakfast and just enjoying city life buzz by.

I regularly visit downtown once or twice a week when feasible. And certainly letting the kids walk around and grasp the feel of urban life will certainly help condition them. I think it's sad for parents to let there perceptions weather true or not alienate their offspring from the experience of city life.

We have it good here, and yes there is improvement to be had, but so does everywhere else.

I for one don't understand why developers are afraid to go big (30 plus stories, mix developmental) within the boring parking lots of downtown. Considering where this wave of immigration is coming from. (higher density countries). Why they just don't build them I don't get it. These new immigrants are buying $400000 homes for god's sake.

Plus they come from countries where public commute is a norm.

?????reassess your market>>>>"developers"
most immigrants I know, especially asians, don't like the downtown. They come from very crowded, poor places so their ultimate aspiration is a house in the suburbs. That's their "american dream", can you blame them?

-------------

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:05 AM

North of 49 this is strictly out of curiosity and I'm don't want to sound like I'm criticizing your choice to live out there but why made you choose living in one of these "new suburbs" opposed to a neighbourhood like wolesly, st boniface, or around corydon/osborne? where you can have a bit of both urban life, and amenities of the suburbs

strictly out of curiosity

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:11 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Don't answer, it's a trap!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:18 AM

easy Admiral Ackbar

as i said its pure curiosity, a big part of my education is understanding behaviour, choices, and values of people, it interests me

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:48 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
North of 49 this is strictly out of curiosity and I'm don't want to sound like I'm criticizing your choice to live out there but why made you choose living in one of these "new suburbs" opposed to a neighbourhood like wolesly, st boniface, or around corydon/osborne? where you can have a bit of both urban life, and amenities of the suburbs

Wolseley could use a few mid-rises

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
would love to see some nice 4-8 storey buildings along Portage

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:29 AM

Quote:

my old neighborhood block in the north end old garden city area had 2 families with kids. wanted more playmates for the kids.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I agree, but wouldn't that mean knocking over some homes in the area? I don't see too many infills that would allow 3 to 4 story mid-rises.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

Don't answer, it's a trap!
Ok? same to you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan