HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:59 AM

really ?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:01 AM

I am no architect, but there are some radical designs out there that are calling for green space in high rise residential buildings. I don't see why Winnipeg couldn't build one of these. It would be amazing.

I also believe that with every downtown should be accompanied by neighborhoods for those who want alternatives. But there comes a point where these neighbourhoods become so spread out and developed with such low density that it is of no benefit to the city to create them. These types of developments are also where the majority of -excuse the expression- nimby's live. They wan't a small town lifestyle, with big city amenities. Well, that is where I get confused. If people want large lots and quiet streets, then they should move to a small town that could benefit from low density growth Winnipeg has enough to sustain itself, and any more is nothing but a drain to its survival as a city. Unless planned properly and appropriately, in which case I wouldn't mind, but the cookie cutter neighbourhoods of Waverly West tell me the city planners are far from the ideology that we need to become more dense.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenner View Post
North of 49 this is strictly out of curiosity and I'm don't want to sound like I'm criticizing your choice to live out there but why made you choose living in one of these "new suburbs" opposed to a neighbourhood like wolesly, st boniface, or around corydon/osborne? where you can have a bit of both urban life, and amenities of the suburbs

strictly out of curiosity
Looking for a house right now and I can give you an answer that I'm sure is a reason many people choose it. Cost. You can get far more square footage (and a newer house less potential problems etc) by living in the suburbs vs living in a older neighbourhood closer to downtown. Personally i would love to live in river heights but I can't afford to bid on any houses listed in the area as they're being listed for 270 to 299 and selling for $350. You can build a new house in the suburbs for the same price and get 500 to 1000 more square feet. Cresentwood, st b, Osborne village are all the same. It's a trade off but you can get a bigger house and more space in the burbs. And it's not like Winnipeg is Toronto. The commute to work isnt gonna take you an hour and a half.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:06 AM

unfortunately if Winnipeg grew like it is now until it reached Toronto's size, it would be a hell of a lot worse commute wise. It would make Houston look dense.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:13 AM

you and north of 49 both have logical explanations i can understand, i just don't like the fact that instead of invigorating older neighbourhoods we continue to create new ones pushing our boundaries further and further

regardless of the benefits people see with it, (especially families with young children) the model is not sustainable and i wish people would look more towards the future then present. There is physical and social aspects that continue to deteriorate as we expand.

that being said I'm a single young adult male, my preferences could drastically change with additions to my life, although i hope not

edit: lol hope my preferences don't change, I'm not critic of family life

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:17 AM

Quote:
you and north of 49 both have logical explanations i can understand, i just don't like the fact that instead of invigorating older neighbourhoods we continue to create new ones pushing our boundaries further and further

regardless of the benefits people see with it, (especially families with young children) the model is not sustainable and i wish people would look more towards the future then present. There is physical and social aspects that continue to deteriorate as we expand.

that being said I'm a single young adult male, my preferences could drastically change with additions to my life, although i hope not
See the interesting thing is my girlfriend and I are planning on getting married, and we both agree that living downtown is the best option. I grew up in the city, and don't regret it one bit. When my parents moved to small town in Ontario I ended up hating it, as I found out that the people my age who lived there were in a suburban bubble and the majority of them were spoiled and rude. I felt blessed to grow up in the city.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:24 AM

haha understand your point but don't say all burb kids are dicks lol remember they are the majority we are the minority

by additions i was referring more to kids, that might not affect your plans and might not affect mine but the cliche yet powerfully true revelation that kids change your life does play into this

wow i sound like my older sister now

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:33 AM

Wink

Quote:
haha understand your point but don't say all burb kids are dicks lol remember they are the majority we are the minority

by additions i was referring more to kids, that might not affect your plans and might not affect mine but the cliche yet powerfully true revelation that kids change your life does play into this

wow i sound like my older sister now
I understand what you were saying. My point was that if my girlfriend and I decided to have kids, we would do so while living downtown. Downtown is not simply for a limited demographic. Every area has its faults, it's just a question of how you want to work around them.

What I meant about everyone seeming as if they were dicks was that when I was moved I was in culture shock because of the change. Every kid at my school had a certain mindset about living, and they seemed naive and uneducated on actual life lessons. But that was just my impression with the kids I interacted with. I made friends, and I don't judge any of them, they just have different morals then my friends in Winnipeg. This is comparing inner city kids to a town of 10 000.

Nothing bugged me more however then the kids in Ingersoll who grew up with parents making 100 000 plus a year and creating little small town gangs and being general jack asses because they thought they were hard. The funny thing is if they acted like they did in a real impoverished neighborhood, they wouldn't last long.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Wolseley could use a few mid-rises
Lol if we ask you, everywhere could use a mid/high-rise. I'd like to see your reaction when they announce they're building a high-rise bus station.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:37 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollswpg View Post
Lol if we ask you, everywhere could use a mid/high-rise. I'd like to see your reaction when they announce they're building a high-rise bus station.
High-rise bus stations for high-floor buses, perfect! JK , too many steps.

- Portage could use a few mid-rises for sure....
- Looks like jimj is joining the Winnipegger@Heart and GrecoRoman ban club! I'd say lboy, but he kinda joins using the same name as before pretty much...
- Pretty sure the Portage area of Wolseley could bulldoze a few one-floor shops and slap down some TOD or something...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:40 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
I for one live in one of those "new suburbs". I long for the day when wifey and I can sell and move downtown near where I grew up. there are certain advantages in living in the burbs when it comes to raising up young children. I certainly miss walking to a neighborhood coffee shop for breakfast and just enjoying city life buzz by.
Why did you relocate to a "new suburb" then?

When I moved back to Winnipeg with my wife and infant son in tow we bought a house based on the walkable amenities nearby.

In our list we needed the following to be within walking distance of the house...

- bus stop with direct/express service to downtown
- schools and library
- playground and walking/biking pathways
- grocery store (preferably Sobeys/Safeway)
- coffee shop
- liquor store

Where did we end up?

The Frasers Grove side of East Kildonan only a block from Kildonan Drive. We have one of the better elementary schools nearby, the Henderson library, Frasers Grove Park and Kildonan Drive for running and biking.

We are 2 blocks from Henderson and right on the 11/40/41 bus routes with a Sobeys directly across Henderson. There is a Starbucks and a Tim Hortons nearby along with other shops and restaurants.

It is also probably one of the nicest and most family friendly mature areas in the city.

No need to end up in Sage Creek or Harbourview to raise a family.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 3:52 PM

Well I went for a ride on it just to see what it was like. It seemed too short. (obviously).

But I think the stops are too close to each other? I may not know much about rapid transit but I did ride the Vancouver SkyTrain. The stops are quite a distance between each other however here, as soon as we're out of a stop it's time to approach the next one.

I just hope that the second leg does not have that many stops in their old plans!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Why did you relocate to a "new suburb" then?

When I moved back to Winnipeg with my wife and infant son in tow we bought a house based on the walkable amenities nearby.

In our list we needed the following to be within walking distance of the house...

- bus stop with direct/express service to downtown
- schools and library
- playground and walking/biking pathways
- grocery store (preferably Sobeys/Safeway)
- coffee shop
- liquor store

Where did we end up?

The Frasers Grove side of East Kildonan only a block from Kildonan Drive. We have one of the better elementary schools nearby, the Henderson library, Frasers Grove Park and Kildonan Drive for running and biking.

We are 2 blocks from Henderson and right on the 11/40/41 bus routes with a Sobeys directly across Henderson. There is a Starbucks and a Tim Hortons nearby along with other shops and restaurants.

It is also probably one of the nicest and most family friendly mature areas in the city.

No need to end up in Sage Creek or Harbourview to raise a family.
Man, I live surprisingly close to you, have probably crossed paths with you on one of my walks. Besides the Frasers Grove area there are numerous similar neighbourhoods sprinkled throughout Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 4:51 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Man, I live surprisingly close to you, have probably crossed paths with you on one of my walks. Besides the Frasers Grove area there are numerous similar neighbourhoods sprinkled throughout Winnipeg.
I was there too, just six years ago i lived on Dunrobin on the riverside of Henderson. Great area.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 7:52 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror View Post
Well I went for a ride on it just to see what it was like. It seemed too short. (obviously).

But I think the stops are too close to each other? I may not know much about rapid transit but I did ride the Vancouver SkyTrain. The stops are quite a distance between each other however here, as soon as we're out of a stop it's time to approach the next one.

I just hope that the second leg does not have that many stops in their old plans!
IMO, only Windemere, McGillivary, Plaza Drive and Bison should get stops. Would make it SO MUCH faster.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
IMO, only Windemere, McGillivary, Plaza Drive and Bison should get stops. Would make it SO MUCH faster.
Just because they will have a lot more stops then these, does not mean that every bus will stop at every stop.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:19 PM
I am a typical

On a rapid transit system it likely will stop at every stop, simply because they're spaced further apart. Each stop has a large catchment area, and that means more people to serve. It isn't like regular bus service where the stops are every two or three blocks.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:46 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
On a rapid transit system it likely will stop at every stop, simply because they're spaced further apart. Each stop has a large catchment area, and that means more people to serve. It isn't like regular bus service where the stops are every two or three blocks.
Maybe at rush hour toward the university, where virtually everyone is presumed to be heading for the terminal at U of M, you could have each bus stop at every second stop. Would seem to make sense.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:30 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Maybe at rush hour toward the university, where virtually everyone is presumed to be heading for the terminal at U of M, you could have each bus stop at every second stop. Would seem to make sense.
I wouldn't be surprised if the "Super Express" routes bypass a number of the stops along the bus way and go straight to the U of M.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:36 AM
I am a typical

Having express buses the only stop at major stops running parallel to local service is probably the more feasible option for many busy bus routes in almost any city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan