HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 10:15 PM

I like how beekman tower is added to this shot.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Thats going to be the temp entrance to the PATH I believe, the one that will be used after the one being used now (yes its confusing, th ere are 2 temporary ones).

Funny. I WAS going to say that. But why on earth is another temp station entrance needed? One is in use already.

Is the present one sitting in the spot where Tower 2 will be put?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 4:13 AM

No, I think it's sitting on where the "permanent" station entrance will be. And that's the thing, they have build the permanent station. If anyone understand what I'm talking about.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 4:39 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Amazing Manhattan rendering.

Hope this ALL gets built. With JP Morgan building their own, are the other WTC towers still viable?

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 2:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They should just remove that "staircase" in the middle of the night. No one will notice its gone, and no one will really care.
I agree, let's blow up this stairs for ever that is going to disturb all. Nobody will notice and keeping this reminds of old shits is quite idiot.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 11:30 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nysun.com/article/57033

Construction Costs Could Rise as Mega-Projects Increase Demand

By ELIOT BROWN
June 21, 2007

Almost 50 million square feet of publicly administered development are scheduled to start in the next few years, increasing the demand, and the cost of building, materials. Above, the Freedom Tower site.

Developers could see construction costs rise at an even faster rate in coming years, as the city's megaprojects substantially increase demand on a sector already flooded with work, industry officials say.

With prices escalating for building materials, this could test the strength of the historic construction boom, which has persevered despite the rising expenses.

"The demand is going to get much greater, and we have to do a lot of work to do everything we possibly can to moderate the effects of increasing levels of construction," Deputy Mayor Daniel Doctoroff said yesterday. "Everywhere, we feel the impact of rising construction costs — that's the big public projects, it's the private sector projects."

Spending on construction has reached all-time highs for the past three years — the New York Building Congress estimates that spending exceeded $24 billion in 2006 — even though the bulk of the city- and state-administered large-scale projects conceived in the past decade have yet to begin, most of which are scheduled to start in the next two to three years.

Between the World Trade Center, Moynihan Station, Atlantic Yards, the Hudson rail yards, and Willets Point in Queens, almost 50 million square feet of publicly administered development are scheduled to start in the next few years — the equivalent of about 20 Empire State Buildings going up at the same time. Add to that the more than $12 billion projected for the no. 7 line subway extension, the first phase of the Second Avenue subway, and the Trans-Hudson Express project for a new NJ Transit tunnel to Pennsylvania Station, and the flurry of activity is sure to drive up the need for construction workers and materials, likely causing prices to jump.

"As you have all this work going on, there's an increased economic pressure on labor," the assistant executive director of the General Building Contractors of New York State, Joseph Hogan, said. Wages of unionized construction workers tend to be steady for years at a time due to bargaining agreements, though Mr. Hogan said the trend in wages will surely be sent upward by the city's big projects in coming years.

The industry is already seeing a shortage of project managers, a problem that will be exacerbated in coming years, according to the president of the Building Trades Employers Association, Louis Coletti. "You can't manufacture a project manager overnight," he said.

The spike in development could send local prices for construction materials such as concrete up as well, the chief economist at the Associated General Contractors of America, Kenneth Simonson, said.

Already, developers and public agencies have been socked with soaring expenses for construction, as demand from rapidly expanding markets in India and China has caused skyrocketing prices of materials such as copper.

Total construction costs have gone up by as much as 1% a month, builders say, pushing developers to move briskly and forcing public agencies to scale back plans for new buildings.

"Every month-delay that we have, we estimate that we have a $9.5 million escalation hit," the chief of administration for the $1.8 billion United Nations Capital Master Plan renovation project, Vivian van de Perre, said.

For private developers, construction officials say, project price tags are sent up even further by the city's rapidly rising land values, which, like raw material costs, show no sign of slowing their growth.

With a mind to future price hikes, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, Steven Coleman, said the agency has already handed out about $1 billion in contracts for the $2.8 billion Freedom Tower.

"We're trying to award contracts as early as we can," Mr. Coleman said.

While the towers at the World Trade Center site are generally on budget, plans for the Santiago Calatrava-designed PATH transit hub are estimated to cost as much as $1 billion more than the $2.2 billion planned for the facility, and the Frank Gehry-designed Performing Arts Center has been repeatedly scaled back as its price tag has climbed hundreds of millions over budget.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 12:49 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Anyone know what the total square footage of office space in the new WTC complex, including Tower 5, will be? Just wondering if all the original footage will finally be fully recaptured...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 12:54 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
They should just remove that "staircase" in the middle of the night. No one will notice its gone, and no one will really care.

I keep hoping some hung over bulldozer operator forgets to set the handbrake on his machine...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 1:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Anyone know what the total square footage of office space in the new WTC complex, including Tower 5, will be? Just wondering if all the original footage will finally be fully recaptured...

Have not heard anything new or different on that.

As far as we know, it's still going to be 10,000 sq. ft. of office space so far.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 3:07 AM
drifting away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Have not heard anything new or different on that.

As far as we know, it's still going to be 10,000 sq. ft. of office space so far.
10,000 sq. ft!?!? i hope you mean 10,000,000 or else i'm gonna get extremely pissed. and maybe a bit confused.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 3:19 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanhead4529 View Post
10,000 sq. ft!?!? i hope you mean 10,000,000 or else i'm gonna get extremely pissed. and maybe a bit confused.
WTC is going to be the size of both my houses? wth? must be 10,000,000.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 12:58 PM
BANNED

No.

You're BOTH wrong. Last time that I checked, it's supposed to be 10,000 sq. ft. of office space.

The same amount of office space that the former WTC had.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 1:20 PM

Daquin Sorry but your wrong.

Each floor of the towers had 40,000 square feet of space for occupancy.
Each tower had 3.8 million square feet (350,000 m²) of office space.

Altogether the entire complex of seven buildings had 11.2 million square feet

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 1:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
I keep hoping some hung over bulldozer operator forgets to set the handbrake on his machine...
I'm surprised somebody hasn't done that already. A practical solution to an impractical problem...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 1:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst69 View Post
Daquan Sorry but your wrong.

Each floor of the towers had 40,000 square feet of space for occupancy.
Each tower had 3.8 million square feet (350,000 m²) of office space.

Altogether the entire complex of seven buildings had 11.2 million square feet

How do you figure that? Floor space is not counted. Just office space.

Silverstein and the officials had officially confirmed that the total amount of office space lost on 09-11 was 10,000 sq. ft., give or take several sq. ft..

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it was 10,000 sq. ft.. Maybe it was just for the Twins.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 2:14 PM

The complex, located in the heart of New York City's downtown financial district, contained 13.4 million square feet (1.24 million mª) of office space, almost four percent of Manhattan's entire office inventory. During the 1990s some 500 companies, especially financial firms, had offices in the complex, including Morgan Stanley, Aon Corporation, Salomon Brothers, and the Port Authority itself.

Quoted from www.wtc911.us

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 4:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm surprised somebody hasn't done that already. A practical solution to an impractical problem...
What you need to do is paint "Meigs Field" on the staircase and then have Richard Daley come for a visit.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 5:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst69 View Post
The complex, located in the heart of New York City's downtown financial district, contained 13.4 million square feet (1.24 million mª) of office space, almost four percent of Manhattan's entire office inventory. During the 1990s some 500 companies, especially financial firms, had offices in the complex, including Morgan Stanley, Aon Corporation, Salomon Brothers, and the Port Authority itself.

Quoted from www.wtc911.us

Cantor Fitzgerald also occupied office space there as well.

But you're right, it might be 10,000,000 sq. ft. of office space. We just need confirmation, which I was trying to get, but still haven't yet.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Ok, it was 15 million sq. ft. of office space that was lost.

Sorry, my bad.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
JUNE 17, 2007

some progress but not much...i had a good time walking thru the construction site.....

Yes!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive