HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 6:16 PM

Winnipeg City Transit/Rapid Transit

Hello everyone!

Newbie here!

I happened to stumble across this site and have to say I enjoy reading the threads on this forum.

Born and raised in Winnipeg! I have to say I've always enjoyed living here however at times I feel frustrated with this city knowing that it can become so much more then what it already is. There have been many changes over the years that have shown progress however one that has been lacking many years now and still is to this very day is our city transportation.

I am frankly fed up with the way this city has been dealing with this "Major" issue. I've been a frequent rider now for almost 2 years and cannot believe how horrible are transit system is.

I researched our past history on transportation and can't believe what we use to have. Looked at pictures of what it once was and have to say it looked friggin cool! What has happened to this city? I know there's priorities that the city and province need to deal with first (ex: roads, bridges, community centers, etc.) however we cannot forget how important transportation is to a city.

There have been talks for many years now regarding how we'll be able to implement Rapid Transit and what will work and what will not. We've spent a lot of time and money on this and where have we gotten with it???

If this city wants to promote a new image for itself and truly help global warming environment issues (as it's now become a great concern globally) we need to start making some noise people.........

We have money that's being put into place for a superplex development in the Bronx community center.....why? ( I call it a superplex because this is “NOT” what a community park is suppose to be) I understand the center has deteriorated and needs rejuvenation but you can't tell me we need a building facility that's going to accommodate public activities that are already a short distance away (ex: YMCA, Gateway, etc.) This money has been taken from our Transportation fund to help do what? If the city honestly thinks that by building a superplex community center in the Bronx Park is going to help redevelop its community with recreation sports activities, it may work for a while but I can't see it working long term. Develop a new club house but not to what the proposal is asking for it’s friggin ridiculous.

This is money that is not being spent well at all.

City complains how expensive it is to implement Rapid Transit and that we don’t have the money for it. However, what they don't seem to understand is that..... Yes, it is expensive and it will always be expensive however the longer this gets placed on hold the more expensive it's going to be due to inflation. Why put it on hold? Why have a target plan of possible implementing it in 10 to 20yrs.....what good does that do for our city? It completely boggles my mind.

I asked a bus driver yesterday when we're suppose to get the new articulated buses? He didn't want say because he was almost embarrassed to tell me that it looks like we're not going see them until close to the end of the year when we were originally suppose see them arrive apparently this spring after the redevelopment of the bus depot’s which is to accommodate the new longer buses.

How much time and money was put into Rapid Transit Task Force? Honestly, how effective was that really? Got a team put together, all did there research came up with a pretty decent proposal and then got turned down. Why? Because there are other priorities to address first before we can think about implementing Rapid Transit. Hello!?!?!? So you’re saying City Transportation is not important? Give me a friggin break!

I went to a Moose game last Friday decided to hop on the bus for the first time as I usually drive to the games and I have to say that was one of my worst experiences ever! Going to the game was ok.........however after the game was finished try to catch a bus on the way home was a joke!

I had to wait for the number 11. There were a ton of people waiting for this bus. One shows up??? Everyone pushed and shoved their way on the bus which was already packed as is. The bus driver didn't even seem impressed. Why? Why only one bus? Especially after an event like that. I just don't get it.....

I can rant and go on with this for hours. It just makes me sick! By writing this, I wanted to actually see how many people feel the same way that I do……….

Rapid Transit would do wonders for this city and I can't believe to this day we're still fighting with it. Will it ever see the light of day? We don't need it in 10yrs-20yrs............ We need it now!

Nuff said.

Last edited by Alva360; Mar 7, 2007 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 11:33 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Welcome to SSP.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 12:00 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Welcome to SSP.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. There's been just too many factors that made this city lose opportunities, and gained more problems over the years. Lot's of "mistakes" have occurred, and the negligible planning that was involved, as well as the amount of bureaucracy that was going on. I don't know if you knew this before, but we almost had a subway in this city. If someone has a link to more of this info, I'm sure they'd be happy to provide you.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Welcome to SSP.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. There's been just too many factors that made this city lose opportunities, and gained more problems over the years. Lot's of "mistakes" have occurred, and the negligible planning that was involved, as well as the amount of bureaucracy that was going on. I don't know if you knew this before, but we almost had a subway in this city. If someone has a link to more of this info, I'm sure they'd be happy to provide you.
Thanks dude!

Oh yeah! I knew about the subway........ It looked to be a brilliant idea done by Norman Wilson. It totally sucks that it got turned down.

These guys below are still trying to make it happen............

http://www.truwinnipeg.org

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 2:49 PM
Density and complexity

Here is a list of rapid transit plans for Winnipeg through the decades: from subways to diamond lanes
http://uwto.org/transit_plans.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 2:52 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Here is a list of rapid transit plans for Winnipeg through the decades: from subways to diamond lanes
http://uwto.org/transit_plans.html
Well i'm thoroughly depressed now..

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 8:42 PM
visionary

oh here is an article http://www.pps.org/info/newsletter/june2005/san_mateo that could help our ridership . They say "to make transit an attractive alternative to driving, bus stops have to be more than just waiting areas they should be attractive, mixed-use destinations." so maybe we have the total function of our major bus stops all wrong. I dunno its just an idea. Maybe there should be small stores and restaurants that u can buy a paper and eat on the go like a 7/11 and Tim hortons while waiting for the next bus . In that article it is said: 'Turning Transit Stops and Stations into "Places"
San Mateo's commuter rail stations and bus stops should be attractive, mixed-use destinations that give people an extra incentive to take transit.' so maybe thats part of the answer to increase ridership.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 8:31 PM

Well, I recently wrote an email to City Transit to get some information/status on the whole new transit development plan since I really haven't been seeing much progress with it. The news/answers I got back from the Supervisor of Customer Service were not good at all.

You can pretty much take that whole transit development plan they have posted on there website and throw it out the window............ Their still at the evaluation stage on the different designs for the new garages to accommodate the new articulated buses which get this......won't be delivered until mid 2008! Umm...weren't they supposed to be here already???

You will continue to see upgrades to all the major and minor stops throughout the city but besides that as for all these other things ex: new technology to deliver real-time information at stops, on-board buses, via the web, telephone and hand held electronic devises; special measures such as diamond lanes and traffic signal priority for buses to speed up transit service; and more park and ride lots. Don't expect them anytime soon.

For God sake!

I'm so tired of this BS.... I also spoke to a bus driver yesterday and he said our transit system is so far behind other cities it's not even funny. There cities that don't even have half the money that we have and they're so much ahead of our time so don't give me that BS we don't have the money to do things with our City transportation. Make it a priority and you will see how much money this city really has!

A city that is HQ for Newflyer makes things look even worse for us.....

Very sad that is all I can say.............

Last edited by Alva360; Mar 22, 2007 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 9:08 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alva360 View Post
Well, I recently wrote an email to City Transit to get some information/status on the whole new transit development plan since I really haven't been seeing much progress with it. The news/answers I got back from the Supervisor of Customer Service were not good at all.

You can pretty much take that whole transit development plan they have posted on there website and throw it out the window............ Their still at the evaluation stage on the different designs for the new garages to accommodate the new articulated buses which get this......won't be delivered until mid 2008! Umm...weren't they supposed to be here already???

You will continue to see upgrades to all the major and minor stops throughout the city but besides that as for all these other things ex: new technology to deliver real-time information at stops, on-board buses, via the web, telephone and hand held electronic devises; special measures such as diamond lanes and traffic signal priority for buses to speed up transit service; and more park and ride lots. Don't expect them anytime soon.

For God sake!

I'm so tired of this BS.... I also spoke to a bus driver yesterday and he said our transit system is so far behind other cities it's not even funny. There cities that don't even have half the money that we have and they're so much ahead of our time so don't give me that BS we don't have the money to do things with our City transportation. Make it a priority and you will see how much money this city really has!

Not shocking in the least.

Here is my new slogan: "Welcome to Winnipeg: Canada's slowest and most non-progressive major city"

Will this ever change?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 9:52 PM

Lane Transit District

Is the latest transit service to operate with NewFlyers new 60ft Articulated Advanced Style BRT vehicle (the same buses we're supposely getting one day)

I have to say it looks pretty sweet! I'd totally be all game for that!

http://www.ltd.org/search/showresult...09617da85ed680

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 10:40 PM

Here's a post I made explaining the big reason why I think we need rapid transit:

Quote:
When it comes to building a rapid transit plan I think that Winnipeg stop selling itself short. I think we all realize that a rapid transit plan can't simply be something that unclogs the streets, but as an instrument in changing the way this city grows and the way people in this city live. This means that we have to look at things holistically rather than just looking at getting one part built.

Currently to live in Winnipeg you need a car. In most places you do not simply need a car to get to work, you need a car to get even the very basics such as groceries. We can all agree that it is neither sustainable or ethical to have a society that only works for people who have cars. Really what we want is a city for pedestrians - one where all people can simple walk to get the basics. To make a city for pedestrians you need density to support services within walking distance, traffic has to be slow and crossings must be convenient, safe and numerous. But right now this is politically impossible as this comes into direct conflict with a way of life that relies on the automobile. People and politicians will complain that slowing down streets will hinder the economy as their car trips will be longer, or that a mixed-use development will take up needed parking. It is difficult to refute these claims as their are no compelling alternatives to the automobile - public transit is infrequent, slow, uncomfortable and inconvenient.

That's where rapid transit comes in. Rapid transit provides the compelling alternative to the automobile by providing frequent, fast and convenient service. With rapid transit car drivers no longer have an excuse to stop the slowing of streets and building on parking lots. Now planners and developers no longer have to focus on designing around drivers, but around transit and pedestrians.It is rapid transit that allows us to build the pedestrian-friendly cities we want that are sustainable, beautiful, livable and provide equal opportunity to all citizens.

Of course we all know other cities that have rapid transit systems, but don't have the transit and pedestrian oriented development that is ideal. That is why any rapid transit plan has to be part of a greater plan that involves transforming the entire city. For each station there must be a development plan to complement it. Bikeway routes should also be coordinated as well as large scale redevelopment plans. Not only does this development provide a sustainable way of living and ridership to the transit system, it can also help pay for it. By using tax-incremental financing (which uses a levy charged on the resulting property value increase from an improvement - i.e. rapid transit line - to help pay for the improvement) a very capital intensive project with huge economic rewards can be built without years of begging to higher levels of government. With this I think Winnipeg could easily build a light-rail network.

In Winnipeg's case things will needs will need to be planned very much in a holistic manner. Most rapid transit corridors in Winnipeg would use rail corridors, some of which are abandoned, others which are very much in use. However, to me at least, it doesn't make sense for much of those freight trains to be going through the city as: most of them aren't destined for Winnipeg; they get slowed down through the city and they are a potential safety hazard. Winnipeg should build a freight-rail bypass around the city as it would be more efficient for freight companies and would free up rail corridors for transit and bike routes. This could also boost Winnipeg's role as a hub of continental trade, and with an intermodal hub west of the airport Winnipeg would become a place companies would want to set shop in. Rail companies could be enticed into this plan by profiting from the developments near corridors they freed up and by the money they would save through a more efficient system.

For an immediate plan: I suggest that while the city negotiates with the rail companies and does planning studies for light-rail it should put in B-Line-esque bus routes that go along all major city corridors. This in itself will greatly improve transit from where it is now.

This may all be pie-in-the-sky, but I hope it at least shows that rapid transit is a corner stone of any vision to help Winnipeg re-emerge has a place people can be proud to live in
So this is what I think Winnipeg should do:

1. Put up several high-frequency (5min or less), high capacity bus routes with clearly marked stations. This would be like the B-Line bus routes in Vancouver which are often a precursor to real rapid transit. They would use articulated buses. The first key routes I see are:

-U of M - Downtown
-Portage Avenue
-Main St.
-Sargent Ave to the Airport
-Henderson Hwy
-Grant Ave.
-St. Mary's Rd.
-Osborne-Dakota
-Notre Dame
-Transcona to Downtown

2. Negotiate with rail companies about implementation of rapid transit on rail corridors. Rapid transit lines that are not on rail corridors can be built immediately.

3. Build an LRT system financed by tax incremental financing. Negotiations

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 12:57 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
I happened to stumble across this site and have to say I enjoy reading the threads on this forum.

Born and raised in Winnipeg! I have to say I've always enjoyed living here however at times I feel frustrated with this city knowing that it can become so much more then what it already is. There have been many changes over the years that have shown progress however one that has been lacking many years now and still is to this very day is our city transportation.

I am frankly fed up with the way this city has been dealing with this "Major" issue. I've been a frequent rider now for almost 2 years and cannot believe how horrible are transit system is.
Welcome to SSP .. its always great to get another opinion.

I have to be honest .. I have always found this topic to be quit funny. I mean it takes a subject such as transit for you guys to relate to and understand how weak the local economy is. I mean you all seem to be willing to overlook this reality in almost every other way, but since Winnipeg can not afford to lay rails or build multi-million dollar stations you guys seem suprised.

Well good news... Manitoba has just confirmed it is to recieved hundreds of millions of dolars more in transfers, because it is so damn poor. If the NDP choose to, it could built the magic bullet sollution of rapid transit. Then everyone could feel so much better about everything.

Of course with any type of rapid transit system in place you guys will go back to being completely ignornat of the economic inefficinecy of Manitoba.

The intelligent thing would be to build the economy by eliminating the payroll tax and capital tax. Incouraging more investment .. thus building a broader tax base.... BUT since this is a forum made up of mostly people going through some sort of idealistic phase I am sure the economy will be put way on the back burner. I mean we could have BUSES and DIAMOND LANES!!!

Such is the Manitoba way of doing things.

Last edited by newflyer; Mar 23, 2007 at 1:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 1:38 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I mean you all seem to be willing to overlook this reality in almost every other way, but since Winnipeg can not afford to lay rails or build multi-million dollar stations you guys seem suprised.

...If the NDP choose to, it could built the magic bullet sollution of rapid transit. Then everyone could feel so much better about everything.

Of course with any type of rapid transit system in place you guys will go back to being completely ignornat of the economic inefficinecy of Manitoba.

BUT since this is a forum made up of mostly people going through some sort of idealistic phase I am sure the economy will be put way on the back burner...
Yawn. The only thing that is successfully insulted by your "zingers" is the credibility of this forum.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 1:48 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Yawn. The only thing that is successfully insulted by your "zingers" is the credibility of this forum.
Just because I question the outlook of those who place little more thought on such a subject than wishes and dreams, doesn't mean its an insult to do so. Yes Manitoba is recieving a new truck load of cash from Ottawa as a result of the new equalization sceme ..... build away.

If it doesn't get built now put the blame on the Province.... if it does get built instead of building the future economy than we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Last edited by newflyer; Mar 23, 2007 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 2:02 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alva360 View Post

For God sake!

ho my God that's so pathetic... so where did all the money they
set aside go? to Katz' pocket???
I'm disgusted by this city right now, wanna leave anytime soon. Transit is in such awful shape and but they're widening roads, building bridges, stadiums, subdivisions. This is the most awkward, trashy, stupid place I've ever been I've been in 3rd world countries and their mentality... they're so far ahead then this hole.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Dude it's all good.....

Though the one thing I do have say about newflyer's comment is that sure we need to redevelop/establish our economy here in wpg however you can't tell me the city couldn't deal with juggling both at the same time.

For Christ sake! Winnipeg is HQ for New Flyer! Wouldn’t you think we would have the latest and greatest transit system to show off to the rest of the world???

We build all the high tech buses in North America!!! Where do they all go??? Not here.... that's for sure......

NewFlyer, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this shit out. Let's even put RT aside for a minute and just look at what we currently have for a typical transit system........ Don't even think about making any positive points/comments about it because the only person you'd be convincing is yourself. It's currently one of the poorest systems out there right now and I can guarantee you I'd have a ton of people backing me up on that.

I hear you though..... Yes we need to re-establish our economy but like I said earlier city transportation is more important then people think and even more important now that we're dealing with global warming..... and if this city can get there shit together and actually make it a priority to get it up to standard......yes, there will continue to be people like myself bitch'n and complaining about it and worst yet people will continue to leave this city due to lack of poor planning and leadership that needs to help drive this city to where it needs to be and should have been at least 10 years ago.......

And that's even putting it nicely........

Last edited by Alva360; Mar 23, 2007 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 3:55 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Just because I question the outlook of those who place little more thought on such a subject than wishes and dreams, doesn't mean its an insult to do so.
Maybe if you used a few more emoticons you'd be more convincing.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 4:48 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mango View Post
Maybe if you used a few more emoticons you'd be more convincing.
Yeah that what I thought...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 1:30 AM
A long time gone

i just read in the Canada forum that also Ottawa lost its LRT proposed system
"mal comune mezzo gaudio" we say

still, maybe they have a better bus system then Winnipeg's
I think as long as Katz is Mayor, Winnipeg transit will keep going down... but I wonder, should the NDP government (is it left, isn't it) strive to provide more services to people? Winnipeg produces 67% of Manitoba's GDP, so the province should do something to improve this town instead of just empty slogans and banners

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 4:24 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Well, if we can convince the whole city to kick out ALL of those who are running at city hall right now (at this point, I don't care what colours they're flying), then perhaps we can have a better transit system. Hell, maybe even a better city after all! It'll be up to the new guys to clean up the mess that previous councillors/mayors who made some indecisive mistakes over the last...oh... 50 years! It's one of the reasons why I call this place "Soviet Canuckistan."

I'm really disappointed on when those articulated buses are supposed to come this year when apparently, they haven't even started ways to accommodate them. So much bureaucracy involved in this city, it's so frustrating.

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan