HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

it costs me 20$ for a taxi to or from the airport...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 11:03 AM

But think about who goes to the airport, generally scaling to high income earners and business people with expense accounts. Add to that that all employees have free parking and most have either odd hours, or are commuting against the congestion, or both.

Even with relatively good transit access in Calgary and Toronto I have only taken the bus for one leg of a trip. There is social stigma to taking luggage on transit. The only place I didn't feel that was in Vancouver due to the sheer number of people taking the bus (but I still wouldn't have done if a friend had not picked me up and directed us to use the bus). With a dedicated train like the ones in London, Newark, etc you don't feel that. But the service is still rather expensive compared to city bus options present. (people are willing to pay more for quality and not feeling out of place)

A $20 cab ride is pretty low to an airport. It Toronto a cab from my place to the airport is around $50, in Halifax a cab downtown from the airport is $60. At the end of a flight your also not always in the most rational state. It is more "how get fastest sleep". Unless you are a captive rider (no money, or ideologically pure) even with the choice your not going to take it. Compared to the price most people just paid to fly, a cab ride is pretty cheap.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 5:30 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Grand Winnipeg Hotel? That sounds so grand that it should be built downtown, not out in the sticks.
Yeah.. it will be very high end .... only the 3rd 5 star hotel in all of Canada.

There seems to be alot of demand for business hotel rooms arould the airport.

Once Centreport gets off the ground I expect there will be more hotels going up around the airport.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 6:23 AM
I am a typical

I don't see how a hotel could be considered 5-star if it is located in an industrial area. Don't they take surroundings into consideration?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I don't see how a hotel could be considered 5-star if it is located in an industrial area. Don't they take surroundings into consideration?
It will be located on the airport campus. Ummm, you been to this airport? This hotel will not be plunked down between a paper mill and a parts warehouse...

It will be a five star based upon a number of factors. Not really sure what they are. Amenities? Style and decor? Service levels?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 3:46 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Why would anyone use an Airport express bus when cab fare from downtown-airport is so minimal and there are presumably hotel buses as well? Other than bus service for a few airport workers, which wouldn't especially need to go downtown, the demand for an airport transit route is basically nil.
This is just my experience..

But i've taken the subway from downtown D.C. to Dulles, and was seriously considering taking the Chicago L between O'Hare and downtown.

The difference between the two occasions is that in D.C. I was already semi familiar with their subway system. Whereas in Chicago I was not.

I think if your a first time visitor to Winnipeg you probably wouldn't take rail transit to or from the airport.

But if you made many trips through out the year I could imagine people travelling by LRT between our downtown and the airport.

In both cases never once did I consider taking the bus.

I figured it would take way too long, and i'd be travelling through some pretty unfamiliar hoods.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 3:54 PM

The big difference me thinks when comparing public transportation between an airport and the nearest city is distance. We are very lucky to have our airport right smack dab in the city. A cab anywhere will be very affordable.

That said I did take the "tube" to London from Heathrow. That was a blast. Until I got closer to the heart of the city and had to change trains (cars?). Way too many people to circumnavigate whilst carting luggage. But I'd do it again!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 12:20 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder in my pants bay View Post
They determine various factors, such as size of the rooms, the ammenities and level of service. This hotel will be serving primarily business travelers who want to stay close to the airport. The airport is not so much an industrial area, as it is an economic hub onto itself, surrounded by various forms of enterprise including many light industial operations. Keep in mind the James Richardson Airport is the busiest air cargo terminal in Canada in terms of the number of flights and will only increase as CentrePort is developed, as well it will see a jump in passenger service once the new terminal is running.

This area will increasingly become more and more important as time goes on.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 1:46 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Has anyone read this article that was posted on AccessWinnipeg.com? What do you guys think?

http://www.accesswinnipeg.com/2009/0...f-transit-woes

Return of Transit Woes
Written By MikeG

The final chapter is here. Basically everything’s been said at this point. Yes, Winnipeg seems to have been embroiled in transit debates for decades. No, there is no likelihood of a solution like this or anything aside from continued “planning” in rapid/mass transit ever happening. Does that mean that this can’t be an interesting read? You decide. With that I give the floor to Marty.

This is the third in a three-part series. In the first instalment I talked about what I hate about the bus system. The second article explained why the bus system is messed up. Today I will show how easy it would be to fix the system. My plan involves a little more walking and a lot less waiting.

Winnipeg Transit presently runs an average of 4000 bus-hours per day. This is the equivalent of 200 busses running from 6:00am to 2:00am seven days a week. Many of those busses meander up and down dinky little regional routes virtually empty of passengers. I’m going to show how to allocate those busses where it will make a difference.

The key to my plan is NO DUPLICATION. If you’re standing on Main Street waiting for a bus, the next bus that comes will be YOUR bus because it will be the ONLY bus running on that street.

Winnipeg Transit presently runs between sixty and seventy different routes. My plan has less than half the number of routes: twenty-seven to be exact, consisting of six different classes: Inner Loop, Radial Spur (9 routes), Outer Loop, Filler Route (12 routes), Downtown Shuttle (3 routes), and the University Shuttle. I cover 90% of the city at a frequency of every five minutes, and 99% at ten minutes or better with a maximum fifteen minute (1.2 km) walk. Here’s how it works:

1. The Inner Loop.This is the centerpiece of my plan. The loop circumnavigates the downtown via Main Street – Broadway- Sherbrooke – William. It takes twenty minutes and runs in the clockwise direction only, so there are no left turns. There are twenty busses on the loop spaced one minute apart, so there is virtually no waiting.

2. The Outer Loop. This basically follows the beltway: Bishop Grandin – Kenaston – King Edward – Leila/Springfield Road. Here and there it cuts through residential territory
like the Maples via Mandalay/Adsum, McLeod/Grassie, and Autumwood/Lakewood.
Twenty busses in each direction run six minutes apart, stopping every 3/4 mile.

3. Radial Spurs. There are nine key radial spurs which, together with the Inner and Outer Loops, cover 90% of the city: Portage, Notre Dame, McPhillips, Main Street, Henderson, Nairn, Marion, Ste. Annes, Pembina and Grant. These routes terminate AT THE INNER LOOP, so they don’t waste 25% of their time meandering through downtown. That means they spend more time delivering people to where they need to go.I get another 25% increase in efficiency by running them as express busses, stopping only every 3/4 mile. The best part: you won’t mind missing the bus if it passes you on the street because the next one will be only FIVE MINUTES away. I need one hundred busses to cover the radial spurs.

4. Filler Routes. My radial spurs leave about 10% of the residential population more than one kilometer from a bus line. For example, 80% of the traditional North End is covered by my Main Street, McPhillips, and Outer Loop routes. City Transit presently fills in the remainder with no less than five additional routes: Arlington, McGregor, Salter, Mountain, and Selkirk. Some of these busses only come every half hour. In my system, I complete the North End with exactly one additional filler, the Arlington/McGregor Loop which crosses the Salter Bridge and terminates at the Health Sciences. I run a total of forty-two busses on twelve different Filler Routes at a frequency of one bus every ten minutes.

5. Downtown Shuttles. No, not the free milk runs presently operated by the city. At present, the typical bus route spends 25% of its time plowing through downtown. All of my radial spurs terminate at the Inner Loop, leaving the downtown wide open. I cover the entire downtown with twelve busses running three shuttle routes: Portage from Main to Sherbrook, Osborne/Isabel from William to Broadway, and Donald/Princess/Notre Dame from (get this): Confusion Corner to the Health Science Center. Twelve busses give you complete coverage EVERY TWO MINUTES to within one block of any point within the inner loop. To put this in perspective, understand that at present, there are probably over FORTY BUSSES within the downtown region at any given moment. And take a look sometime: three-quarters of them are virtually empty.

6. The University Shuttle picks up passengers from three different routes (Pembina, Outer Loop, and Markham/Dalhousie) and shuttles them into the campus. I need four busses to provide pick-ups every two minutes.

And that’s the plan. I count two hundred and sixteen busses, as compared to two hundred at present. But that’s based on maximum coverage twenty hours per day. In actual practise, you would naturally cut back some routes after six PM. Taking into account a reasonable utilization factor during off-hours, I’m probably able to reduce the city’s total bus-hours by ten or twenty percent. On an annual budget of a hundred million dollars, that’s a bit of a saving. But the real point isn’t to save money, it’s to get people where they need to go. And that’s what my system actually does.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 1:48 AM

35 new buses for Winnipeg Transit, should start seeing them end of this year/early 2010. Will be recognizable by the squared off door glass.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 1:52 AM
Heart of the Continent

I thought Winnipeg Transtit had been getting new buses all of the time with the number of new ones that seem to be on the street at all times. The Orange ones are becoming scarce.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 6:26 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgcityone View Post
35 new buses for Winnipeg Transit, should start seeing them end of this year/early 2010. Will be recognizable by the squared off door glass.
Squared off door glass? Is it New Flyer's latest model Xcelsior, a modified D40LFR, or a completely different supplier?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Squared off door glass? Is it New Flyer's latest model Xcelsior, a modified D40LFR, or a completely different supplier?
Gotta be New Flyer. We already got at least 60 new buses this year. Excelsior fits that description and it would be awesome to get that model unless it's plagued by the same problems the Inviro had. To this day not one drivers cares for those buses. Imagine New Flyer must be anxious to test some out. That said, I thought it would be some time before they'd have them in production? Meh, we're the last ones to find out anything. Just give me a better driver's seat than the bottom end USSC we get right now.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Has anyone read this article that was posted on AccessWinnipeg.com? What do you guys think?
A lot to absorb but he's on the right track. That track being something different than the current system of bus connections that miss by 5 minutes and then you have to wait half an hour or more in some cases (try getting home to Westdale on a Sunday evening). Get me from downtown to within a km of home on 1 bus and I'd be happy. Terminate his "radial spurs" at one central downtown location rather than at the inner loop. Meh, very over-simplified, which might be good, but not altogether practical.

Still, I agree our system needs a big rethink. I can't see anything of the sort happening near term though. The biggest change will happen when the first BRT leg opens with the number of routes which will be either created of changed to use it. Too bad that's a couple of years away still.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 2:48 AM

Not Xcelsior, just D40LFR. The square door glass will help you recognize this batch from the last two new ones.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgcityone View Post
Not Xcelsior, just D40LFR. The square door glass will help you recognize this batch from the last two new ones.
Didn't think so. Last I heard it would be another year before they can roll those off the line. Pity though. The A pillar blind spots are terrible on the new look D40LFR. Wonder if they'll come with the HVAC thermostats set properly? Most of this year's buses have been good with the AC (not too cold) as opposed to the ones we got last year which froze you in summer and roasted you in winter. The last batch of non-air conditioned buses we got from New Flyer were darned near perfect though.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

king ur a bus driver???

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
king ur a bus driver???
Only on the day I work!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:17 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 7:29 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
a maximum fifteen minute (1.2 km) walk
And that is why it will fail. The biggest complain by potential transit users here? "Too far to walk to the bus stop". And all of the urban area is within 0.4km. If they have a car, why are they going to want to take a bus and have to walk 10 minutes at either end of the trip? And when you consider that almost everyone will need to transfer unless they're going in a straight line or along the edge of the look, that would be even more discouraging for transit users.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan