HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
You would have to be a SERIOUS douchecanoe to get worked up about someone else posting your pictures of transit buses on a forum thread about transit buses.

Especially considering that they are already watermarked with the photographers name.
He technically posted code that links to the source material much like google does. Users' browsers interpret that code and display the image that is residing on the copywrite owners server. I understand skyscraper forum rules and the law are two different things but it's not infringing on any copywrites by inline linking (in the US anyway, Perfect10 sued Google for showing linked images and it was ruled it was not inviolation of copywright law since google did not have a copy of said image. That's my understanding anyway, could be wrong).

Last edited by cheswick; Feb 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 7:13 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
He technically posted code that links to the source material much like google does. Users' browsers interpret that code and display the image that is residing on the copywrite owners server. I understand skyscraper forum rules and the law are two different things but it's not infringing on any copywrites by inline linking (in the US anyway, Perfect10 sued Google for showing linked images and it was ruled it was not inviolation of copywright law since google did not have a copy of said image. That's my understanding anyway, could be wrong).
Yes, but isnt this site for educational purposes mostly and harmless discussion??

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Yes, but isnt this site for educational purposes mostly and harmless discussion??
What cheswick is getting at (I think) is that hotlinking those images is potentially costing the person who has hosted them money.

Those photos are coming from http://www.busdrawings.com/, http://www.barp.ca and http://www.kevinsbusrail.com, not something like imgur, flickr or imageshack.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 9:20 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
What cheswick is getting at (I think) is that hotlinking those images is potentially costing the person who has hosted them money.

Those photos are coming from http://www.busdrawings.com/, http://www.barp.ca and http://www.kevinsbusrail.com, not something like imgur, flickr or imageshack.
Money? I asked the host of busdrawings myself if I can borrow one of his pics, and he agreed, no money owed or anything. One guy on the other forum i'm on, used a TONNE of pics from these guys. He got banned fast. What I'm saying, is just ask these guys if you can use the pic. And also to not pass them of as your own what-so-ever

And also, don't need to call me a "douchecanoe" hotwired. we all know what happened to tupac-shakur and his personal attack. also haven't really turned it personal on you either, although you've been the main critic of my posts on this section since i joined. just saying...

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Money? I asked the host of busdrawings myself if I can borrow one of his pics, and he agreed, no money owed or anything. One guy on the other forum i'm on, used a TONNE of pics from these guys. He got banned fast. What I'm saying, is just ask these guys if you can use the pic. And also to not pass them of as your own what-so-ever

And also, don't need to call me a "douchecanoe" hotwired. we all know what happened to tupac-shakur and his personal attack. also haven't really turned it personal on you either, although you've been the main critic of my posts on this section since i joined. just saying...
A. I wasn't talking about your comment, I was talking about cheswick's.
B. hotwired was not calling you a douchcanoe, he was referring to the people on the main forum that host the images.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:40 PM

Further to mine and cheswick's posts, (way off topic, sorry) there's two issues involved:

1. Copyright
2. Hotlinking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline_linking)

In 1, the person who takes the photo has control (unless they've given it up) over who copies and displays the photo.

In 2, the person who hosts the image file on their server doesn't always want others to link directly to that exact file, because they have to pay their ISP by the MB that is downloaded. If someone goes and links that actual image file on this discussion board, then every person who views the thread just cost the person 200KB of bandwidth.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
A. I wasn't talking about your comment, I was talking about cheswick's.
B. hotwired was not calling you a douchcanoe, he was referring to the people on the main forum that host the images.
And C. Douchecanoe is a hilarious insult

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollswpg View Post
And C. Douchecanoe is a hilarious insult
Yes, I enjoyed it too.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 11:56 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
In 1, the person who takes the photo has control (unless they've given it up) over who copies and displays the photo.
The exception of this of course is if it is part of a discussion for information purposes and used in a way that generates no profit. It is called "fair use" and that is what we've done in this discussion.

Quote:
In 2, the person who hosts the image file on their server doesn't always want others to link directly to that exact file, because they have to pay their ISP by the MB that is downloaded. If someone goes and links that actual image file on this discussion board, then every person who views the thread just cost the person 200KB of bandwidth.
Then do they want people to see the photos or not?

Honestly, the people at CPTDB are so extremely protective of their bus photos that it borders on the absurd.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 2:23 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The exception of this of course is if it is part of a discussion for information purposes and used in a way that generates no profit. It is called "fair use" and that is what we've done in this discussion.

Then do they want people to see the photos or not?

Honestly, the people at CPTDB are so extremely protective of their bus photos that it borders on the absurd.
A+

Seriously. They are pictures of BUSES. Not exactly celebrity nudes or anything here.

The whole "bandwidth being used" logic makes no sense whatsoever. You can easily program your website to disallow hot linking without a local referrer if you are that protective of your bandwidth.

That said. I pay about $9/month for my web hosting. I get unlimited domains, unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth. Perhaps they should move their hosting if bandwidth is so precious. Even then it makes no sense since they are the ones that put their images online to begin with.

I have a feeling these guys are so protective of their bus photos because their ego gets stroked when others ask them for permission to use their pictures.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
A+

Seriously. They are pictures of BUSES. Not exactly celebrity nudes or anything here.

The whole "bandwidth being used" logic makes no sense whatsoever. You can easily program your website to disallow hot linking without a local referrer if you are that protective of your bandwidth.

That said. I pay about $9/month for my web hosting. I get unlimited domains, unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth. Perhaps they should move their hosting if bandwidth is so precious. Even then it makes no sense since they are the ones that put their images online to begin with.

I have a feeling these guys are so protective of their bus photos because their ego gets stroked when others ask them for permission to use their pictures.
I completely agree, I was just making sure all points were known.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 3:57 PM

Interesting reading the justification from the Public works committee on buying the used buses, where Winnipeg Transit says these buses require a spare ratio of 20% compared to the normal ratio of 11% for the normal 40 ft buses.

It looks like they expect twice as many of them to be out of service at dispatch time than the existing ones they own.

Transit also said they want to start replacing them at the rate of 1 or 2 a year in 2016 so it could take 10 to 20 years before these used ones are all off the street.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 5:06 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Interesting reading the justification from the Public works committee on buying the used buses, where Winnipeg Transit says these buses require a spare ratio of 20% compared to the normal ratio of 11% for the normal 40 ft buses.

It looks like they expect twice as many of them to be out of service at dispatch time than the existing ones they own.

Transit also said they want to start replacing them at the rate of 1 or 2 a year in 2016 so it could take 10 to 20 years before these used ones are all off the street.
20 years on a used bus?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:08 PM

That's what I was thinking, why would there not be a more aggressive budget for replacement of them? Unless this is a numbers game to slide the purchase through this year, and in the coming years there will be an "emergency" budget amount requested for replacement.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 6:53 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
That's what I was thinking, why would there not be a more aggressive budget for replacement of them? Unless this is a numbers game to slide the purchase through this year, and in the coming years there will be an "emergency" budget amount requested for replacement.
Or another 20 cent fare hike

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:04 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Bendy buses deemed 'lemons'
City considers used vehicles with history of catching fire
By: Jen Skerritt
Posted: 03/6/2012 1:00 AM | Comments: 51 (including replies)
0 0 0 SHARENEW PRINT E–MAIL REPORT ERROR
PAT MCGRATH / POSTMEDIA NEWS ARCHIVES Enlarge Image

The City of Ottawa plans to replace its aging fleet with these new articulated buses. Winnipeg has first dibs on the old buses that were traded in.
The used bendy buses Winnipeg wants to buy have been called "lemons" and were part of Ottawa's old fleet that had faulty parts that caused some buses to catch fire.
Last week, Winnipeg Transit announced it wants to spend $1.1 million to purchase the articulated buses at a discounted rate from New Flyer Industries after Ottawa traded them in for new buses. The buses will cost $53,000 each, instead of the $625,000 they would cost if purchased new.
In total, it will cost Winnipeg $2.2 million to buy and fix up the buses.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...141546263.html

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:16 AM

Reminds me of when the feds bought those used subs from Britain.

We all know what happened with that!!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:22 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post

Reminds me of when the feds bought those used subs from Britain.

We all know what happened with that!!!
We all sink in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 12:36 AM

Winnipeg Transit has posted the new timetables for the rapid transit.

A couple of sample trips:
It would hard to compare the 60/160 since they have different routing through the downtown.

UofM - Downtown

Current 60 - Leaves:

UoM @ 7:43 am
Pembina / Oakenwald - 7:57 am
Osborne Junction - 8:07 am
Osborne/Broadway - 8:12 am
Garry/ Portage - 8:22 am

New 160

UofM - 7:44 am
Pembina / Oakenwald - 7:56 am
FortRouge Station - 8:00 am (about 8:02 at Osborne Station)
Union Station - 8:06 am
UofW - 8:16 am

Downtown - UofM

Gary / Portage - 15:44
Osborne/Broadway - 15:54
Osborne Junction - 16:00
Pembina / McGillivary - 16:11
UofM - 16:26

160 -
UofW - 3:51 pm
Main / Broadway - 4:01 pm
Fort Rouge Station - 4:07 pm (around 4:05 at Osborne Station)
Pembina / McGillivary - 16:11
UofM - 16:26

----
As of right now the 162 schedule has not been posted, (170 is posted)

I check route 185 (UofM to Osborne Village)

from the time it enters the Transitway @ Jubille to Harkness Station is 4 minutes

Jubilee to Fort Rouge Station - 1 Minute
Fort Rouge Station to Harkness - 3 minutes.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:18 AM

So....tell me again, how much did it cost me (The Taxpayer) for some University student to save 6 minutes?

I'm waiting.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan