HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 7:35 AM
Transit Nerd

My god... if they do go ahead, they seriously need to cut out the Sargent "spirit" section - that'll eat away the MOST revenue and maybe chop down Route 15 service even MORE beyond the 1990s service cuts...

Osborne would be the best bet, Marion the second best bet. And maybe then, the Route 99 Misericordia branch, can become Spirit Route 4, and with free fares, eliminate the need for a Route 185, and actually fill the bus beyond just a few people.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 8:11 PM

Osborne would be the best bet, Marion the second best bet. And maybe then, the Route 99 Misericordia branch, can become Spirit Route 4, and with free fares, eliminate the need for a Route 185, and actually fill the bus beyond just a few people. [/QUOTE]

I am not sure what your deal is with the 185. I have caught that bus on a semi-regular basis since they introduced it since I like just across the Donald bridge in downtown and am a grad student at U of M. The bus is routinely filled seat wise (not sardine filled mind you), by the time it leaves Fort Rouge station. Going back downtown, there is usually at least half a bus of people getting off along River as well. For students trying to get out to U of M who catch the bus at Osborne it is a huge help because in the mornings, the 160 and 161 are always packed by Broadway even, so the 185 provides relief at the Harkness and Osborne stations, and down Pembina for the major express stops (particularly Windemere, McGillvary and Pembina at University). They aren't going to get rid of that route any time soon (only perhaps do re-routing for the non express portion in the village).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 7:59 PM

There is going to an open house for Phase 2 of SW Transit Way
• Monday, November 18th: 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm and 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
• Tuesday, November 19th: 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm and 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
CanadInns Fort Garry (1824 Pembina Highway)

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/southw...est-transitway

I notice that the 185 today was packed (standing room) leaving the UofM around 2 pm. However the 185 leaving downtown at the same time had only a few passengers on board.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
There is going to an open house for Phase 2 of SW Transit Way
• Monday, November 18th: 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm and 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
• Tuesday, November 19th: 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm and 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
CanadInns Fort Garry (1824 Pembina Highway)

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/southw...est-transitway
Could/should be some interesting stuff come out of those open houses. In terms of what's going to be built.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 10:43 PM

I wrote out some thoughts on the transitway alignment in order to bring to the open house. I figured I'd post them here too

- Along Parker Ave: Remove 2 transitway stations, combine into a big one at Beaumont and Parker. Provide drop off loop, some park and ride, and make it the connection point for routes 29, 84, 86, 94, etc…

- Why are lights necessary at Beaumont but not Chevrier, Clarence, etc…

- McGillivray Overpass should be built immediately; otherwise it will never get built. City has long history of not building “proposed future grade-seperation”

- McGillivray station should be built on south side of McGillivray: closer to residential, on same side as McGillivray’s AT Path, etc. Will require far less people to cross street, which means shorter light cycle for transitway: less delay for McGillivray traffic

- An Active Transportation Pathway must be built along entire corridor including in all the grade separations, and preferably on the east side (near residential populations). Potentially, closed stretch of Parker Avenue could be turned into AT pathway

- Plaza Drive station needs to have sidewalk built between it and Pembina. Plaza Drive west of Pembina is essentially a parking lot

- Best University of Manitoba connection is Markham, provides transit for future Southwood lands redevelopment, and does not require expropriation or major reconfiguration of University Crescent intersection. Would also be fastest option (least trafficked road) as long as University & Markham intersection has lights put up

- Lights at Bison Drive & Transitway seem very poorly thought out. Busses turning right will stack up and block transitway when there is a train, busses turning left will not be able to turn left as traffic stopped on Bison at Pembina regularly backs up past train tracks. Is there any other solution?
o City owns (or at least used to own) land just west of train tracks, could potentially be useful to provide more room to work with.
o Bring Bison Drive underground, build train underpass and diamond interchange with Pembina (Pembina freeflowing), integrate Transitway into traffic lights for west ramps. Potentially best solution, but extremely expensive. However, traffic volumes on Bison are only going to get higher, due to development of Waverley West

Sorry for the wall of text... Anyone else have any thoughts on the alignment? The open houses should be interesting.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 5:35 PM

I agree, I feel there are too many stations for it to really end up being "rapid". I would even suggest removing the Clarence and Chevrier stations and combining them into one at Chevrier, and you are right, moving the McGillvary stop to the south side.

With regards to the Bison problem, I think a cheaper option considering the limited space at that intersection would be to make Markham the terminus. That easily allows for buses continuing south to get out there back onto Pembina, and for those that are heading west to the WW development, just take Markham to Bison. I find that the congestion on Pembina in the right hand lane going south during rush hour isn't that bad once you are south of Bishop. If it does become an issue, plop a diamond lane and it would be golden.

My only concern is with the Plaza drive stop because as you say, that is a giant (and UGLY) parking lot right now. Considering how many times the businesses in that section have turned over and gone under, I think this would be an awesome time to redevelop that entire square, including a pedestrian corridor/shops from the stop to Pembina and maybe even some high density housing in there as well...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 6:22 PM

^^Very good points on the stations. That's a tough thing to plan for, especially around Parker, when you're banking on TOD... But I agree the Clarence/Chevrier stations could become one.

Structures and whether they will be built or not should be a little more clear at the open house. I'm thinking some type of funding announcement may come prior to the open houses, but maybe I'm living in dream land. IMO, the future structures will be built now, and there may even be another structure added. Again, may be living in dream land. It just seems so stupid to have rapid transit with stop lights. Especially since the project is now included with Pembina Widening and the combined sewer replacement, putting the total project to $500M-$600M.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 9:27 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I have long left that Winnipeg would be better served if there was local and express routes. Express routes would have less than five stops between ends, say downtown and St Vital, Kildonan Place, etc Service on the express routes would be frequent at peak points. You would then transfer at a hub close to your destination. My thinking is if the bus does not stop even ten feet you would make it to your final destination quicker. This would also solve the issue of five buses leaving downtown within minutes of each other heading to the same suburb except for the last kilometer. This could solve solve the problem with missing the bus group by a brief period and then needing to wait the long interval for the next group of buses.
That's the concept I came up with in the late 1990s for the SuperExpress route.

Next.

Quote:
The other benefit is the local routes would ideally have a much more limited set of drivers running them as there would be fewer buses needed on the local routes as they would be much shorter. This would give the bus drivers a better chance to get to know the people in their neighbourhoods. One bus driver stood out from my time as a commuter rider. The driver knew I was there pretty much every day and they actually took time to check if I was caught on the wrong side of the intersection waiting for the light to cross. If they saw me there they would wait the extra 30 seconds for me. Having drivers build that connection with the riders is a huge thing.

The reality is my plan is but a pipe dream that will never happen sadly. I think though it would greatly improve service and ride times while not needing a lot more resources.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 9:34 PM

Looks like the Bendy buses are finally in town! Can't come soon enough. The 160 route is long overdue for one!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...eets-1.2419789

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 9:46 PM

According to the Free Press:

"Transit Tom has picked the following four routes for the buses' first passenger runs: Routes 36, 54, 58 and 59, which run through the Maples and St. Vital neighbourhoods."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...231185421.html

I was hoping they would put these into service on the Portage Ave. Routes: 11, 21, etc. It is almost always standing room only on these routes.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
According to the Free Press:

"Transit Tom has picked the following four routes for the buses' first passenger runs: Routes 36, 54, 58 and 59, which run through the Maples and St. Vital neighbourhoods."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...231185421.html

I was hoping they would put these into service on the Portage Ave. Routes: 11, 21, etc. It is almost always standing room only on these routes.
I live in South Osborne and can take either the 16 or the 58 (one of the designated bendy-bus routes). Thing is, the 16 is generally jam-packed while the 58 tends to have a bit of breathing room... I wonder why they decided to put the extra space on the 58?

Based on what I've seen, I would have expected the 11 and the 21 to be the first routes to get this bus.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 9:52 PM

I can't believe they are focusing in on those routes first! Such a waste! I have ridden the 54, 59 and 58 and during peak hours while they are filled, they aren't routinely skipping passengers. Same with the routes down portage. Again, packed like sardines, but not skipping passengers. The 75, 160 and 161 on the other hand are almost always having to skip stops because there is simply no more room. Hopefully once the remaining busses come through down the line, they will go where they are sorely needed. I could see during rush hour having them on the following lines: 160, 161, 162, 36, 11, 21, 14, 19, 47 and 75. Those 10 routes, with 2 buses over rush hour would be extremely helpful!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 10:01 PM

If I recall from previous articles, the articulated buses are not planned to be used on the rapid transit corridor.

I assume it is because frequency is high enough on those routes to not require larger buses. Buses may be full, but you only have to wait a minute or two.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 10:08 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR_Chick View Post
I can't believe they are focusing in on those routes first! Such a waste! I have ridden the 54, 59 and 58 and during peak hours while they are filled, they aren't routinely skipping passengers. Same with the routes down portage. Again, packed like sardines, but not skipping passengers. The 75, 160 and 161 on the other hand are almost always having to skip stops because there is simply no more room. Hopefully once the remaining busses come through down the line, they will go where they are sorely needed. I could see during rush hour having them on the following lines: 160, 161, 162, 36, 11, 21, 14, 19, 47 and 75. Those 10 routes, with 2 buses over rush hour would be extremely helpful!
The 21 would be hard to impliment because of the small corner radius of the turn-arounds at the end of the routes... Just a thought, but the turn around on Rouge I couldn't see one of these buses turn around on.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 1:26 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
The 21 would be hard to impliment because of the small corner radius of the turn-arounds at the end of the routes... Just a thought, but the turn around on Rouge I couldn't see one of these buses turn around on.
21 rush hour service to the Grace Hospital has PLENTY of turning radius room. believe me, I ride it daily haha. Plus the Grace can handle a D60LF. So rush hour service would work, but mid-day might be an issue...

Route 11 - Polo Park to Downtown would work. North Kildonan would be an issue...

Route 24 EB trips - thanks to John Taylor and Sturgeon, any buses going EB from 3:30 to 4:30pm are usually sardine-packed. I hope Transit places these on school trippers.

I'd also recommend the 47 mid-day.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 3:35 AM

I hope that these new bendy buses have more tip up seats. I travel with four wheel walker that doesn't fold up well. Frequently there are insufficient tip up seats at the front of the bus when I want to travel at midday. On some of my bus trips this year, the driver has had to leave passengers behind because there isn't enough room on the bus to house two wheelchairs, a pram and me with my walker.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 5:44 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

WRT the routes chosen, perhaps training and familiarisation is the objective, not customer service? I think the routes that need the bendy busses will get them eventually but Transit wants to roll them out slowly, in a controlled fashion. They surely don't want any mistakes or bad press.

From what I've seen, Transit is run pretty well and they will do this bit right.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 6:46 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised they chose those routes when it should be the 11, 21, and perhaps even the 18.

At least they're starting to roll them out now. They look good, all refurbished by New Flyer.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 6:31 PM

The 36 is a cross-town university commuter router. This has me wondering if the routes may have been selected as their is potential to maintain passenger volumes with less frequent service.

The other interesting observation is all the initial routes are peak-service ones which would limit the time the buses are on the street, perhaps allowing for minor tweaks to their operation to be occurring mid-day.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:09 PM

Here is what transit proposed for scheduling of the refurbished buses from the March 21/2012 Public Works committee meeting:

Limiting the operation of these buses to weekday peak periods would help manage future operating
costs, provide much needed additional peak capacity to the system, and would limit the annual mileage
accumulated on the pre-owned units. The added capacity of 60-foot articulated buses will reduce the
need to add extra trips to the schedules of some routes and may free up some standard buses for use
elsewhere in the system. Given the pre-owned nature of the articulated buses, a spare bus ratio of 20%
would be employed, as opposed to Winnipeg Transit’s current spare bus ratio of approximately 11%.
Operating 16 articulated buses for 7 hours each weekday could relieve many instances of peak period
overcrowding on several of the City’s most heavily used routes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan