HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Welcome to the surveillance society. They said that everyone would love their servitude.
Considering most people walk around willing carrying GPS trackers and giving away every detail of their life on social media not exactly a big lose of privacy having your use of transit tracked electronically.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:15 PM

Tried my new Peggo card this morning for the first time. It was pretty finicky...driver took it and had to reposition it a couple of times and hold it for about 3 seconds and it worked. Still, RFID's a pretty well-established technology - it's kind of disappointing these Peggo cards are the equivalent of the yellow strips on the bus back door...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:20 PM

haha, those damn yellow strips. You need to use the same train of thought. Hold it and keep holding. I see people at the back door tapping those yellow things in a panic, then yell at the driver because it's not working. The next guy leans in and holds it, door opens.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:23 PM
Heart of the Continent

Some RFID readers are fast, some are slow. The mobile kind tend to be slow.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Some RFID readers are fast, some are slow. The mobile kind tend to be slow.
I thought the Peggo system didn't communicate with the mothership.

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/fares/...o/about-peggo/

"Our buses are not in constant wireless contact with a central fare collection database. Rides taken throughout the day are stored on the bus and processed overnight when the bus returns to the garage for servicing."

Reading the rest of that section on loading online, it sounds like the balance is stored on the card. I suppose if it's writing data to the card it'll take a bit of extra time compared to an office keypass or something.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:58 PM

My take on these cards are as follows and would include writing data to the card.

-The card stores all of the information with respect to fares and passes.
-When you load fares or passes to the card online, it will not be active until the card receives this information from the fare box when boarding. This is where the 24-48 hour delay could occur, as the bus needs to update the fare boxes at the transit garage. It would then write the updated fare information to your card.
-When fares are loaded at a Transit kiosk, they put the card on a reader and the fare is loaded automatically.
-When tapping your card at boarding, it seems the fare box is checking for updates to your card, which could cause the few second delay, in addition to checking to see if your card has adequate fares.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 4:32 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I thought the Peggo system didn't communicate with the mothership.

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/fares/...o/about-peggo/

"Our buses are not in constant wireless contact with a central fare collection database. Rides taken throughout the day are stored on the bus and processed overnight when the bus returns to the garage for servicing."

Reading the rest of that section on loading online, it sounds like the balance is stored on the card. I suppose if it's writing data to the card it'll take a bit of extra time compared to an office keypass or something.
I mean the time it takes the RFID reader to read the chip, not to communicate with the base. There seems to be different speeds.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:27 PM

I don't have a cell-phone that might track me. My car has a GPS map system that knows the car's location at all times. I have no idea how the GPS system works. I asked the dealer if the car was spying on me and he said "no". The bus has a GPS system that announces the stops.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:38 PM

If someone really feels the need to track my movements, then go right ahead. What's going to happen? They'll know I go to work than go home? People can easily figure that out sitting outside my house with no electronic devices.. I really don't care because it makes no difference to me. We're all trapped in this endless cycle of needing money. It will not end anytime soon, so really who cares.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:48 PM

^Agreed bomberjet.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:34 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I don't have a cell-phone that might track me. My car has a GPS map system that knows the car's location at all times. I have no idea how the GPS system works. I asked the dealer if the car was spying on me and he said "no". The bus has a GPS system that announces the stops.
GPS units are merely receivers, they do not have the ability to transmit at all.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:50 PM

Reg: Tracking of individuals be it Peggo, cellular or other devices.

AS long as we have the CHOICE, whether our location is known, what locations we frequent, so on and so forth, I'm fine with it. The information gained and who has the ability to access it becomes quite hazy legally, and the ability to use it for whatever reasons, by those that shouldn't have access to it, which becomes easier everyday, is becoming an increasing problem..

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 6:17 AM

Also, since we have a one-price-fits-all system, you don't have to scan where you get off.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Also, since we have a one-price-fits-all system, you don't have to scan where you get off.
The Transit camera system takes care of knowing where you got off and which door you used.

Somebody just has to watch the video starting where Peggo says you scanned in to see when you leave the bus and then switch to the windshield camera to see the street location.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 7:30 PM

Sure, but that would mean the person that wanted to "invade your privacy" [even though you're in public] would have to be the Transit Security operator.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 8:55 PM

People have been fired from other govt agencies for doing t stuff like that.

Two that come to mind: looking at relatives prescriptions/ medical records at the new Pharmacare program and staff looking up drivers licenses at MPI to find birthdays and addresses to mail the cards to.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 3:36 PM

On Sunday, September 4th Winnipeg Transit is making some schedule changes including a realignment of routes 84, 86 & 94. Click here. These reroutes increase journey times to both Lindenwoods and Whyte Ridge on routes 84 & 86 but add greater transit connectivity to IKEA. Route 94 becomes a circlular clockwise operation providing new westbound service along Scurfield Blvd upto Columbia.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 2:39 PM

I've tried the Peggo a few times.

When it works, it does take 2 seconds to read.

I've had two situations where it's been finnicky enough that the driver's had to take it and try to position it himself. Worked once. On the other bus, the driver eventually gave up and just said 'don't worry about it', and had me board without paying.

Unless I was just dealing with a bad card or bad reader, this is going to be a nightmare when it scales up, particularly since we don't have off-board payment/proof-of-payment/all-door-boarding/etc.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 2:52 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

I'm glad they introduced the card in the Summer months rather than in mid-Winter.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 3:38 PM

I've found if you scan it with the large peggo symbol face down, it works better than face up. Shouldn't make a difference and maybe was just coincidence. The driver told me to do it. Anyways, haven't had any issue for the last week or so when scanning that way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan