HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 4:27 PM

Hello,

I just found this thread and wanted to add my two cents, especially to symmetryd (who hopefully is still checking the forum), but also to anyone else who has the wherewithal to develop condos.

This building has fascinated me for years. I don’t know quite what it is about it, although I think it’s to do with the enchanting mix of styles (the ‘Dutch colonial’ bit mixed in with the more traditional warehousy bits and the Victorian bit with the nice storefront at the back). I am so fascinated, in fact, that I decided to poke around about it and found this thread. If this building were converted to condos that work with the original features of the building (so, maintaining the exterior – and hopefully some interior – features that make the building so charming), I would DEFINITELY buy, pretty much the day the signs went up.

My thoughts are in line with emge’s – ideally I would want to be able to customize the space (including size, layout and finishes), and I think that high condo fees are a turnoff in a city where property costs more generally are low. Good soundproofing between units, as well as from the street, would be important. BTW, I’m not a huge fan of the Film Work Lofts, because I feel like they’ve skimped out on the windows, reducing the curb appeal and the “warehouse” feel of the building – I haven’t seen a model suite or anything though, so can’t speak to the interior. And yes, detached housing in Hamilton is CHEAP – but I think there would be a niche for people who are looking for a more urban/modern feel and who would prefer to do without yard maintenance etc. (not to mention renovation headaches…)

The traffic on Cannon is loud and steady, but no worse than other major downtown streets. Parking could be a problem - there are lots nearby of course. Key downtown amenities are very close by (the farmer’s market, James St. N. shops, Copps/Hamilton Place, art galleries); it is a reasonable distance to the downtown GO station (and I hear rumours that the Liuna Station – another urban gem – may be pressed back into service, which would make the GO an easy walk); and Bayfront Park/waterfront trail is not at all far. The park that skirts the south and east side of the building is a real plus. And who knows, maybe a café could run out of the store front? One can only hope…

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton