HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
I see it in person almost every day. The antenna is horrifying.
horrifying ? come on would you please stop exaggerating ! the antennae is no way that bad for such a remark to be made .

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 3:38 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The antenna kind of looks like a hookah. lol
Wow !!

Glad I don't know anything about a "hookah" (and please don't tell me (ignorance is bliss)).

It is my hope that the circular platforms on each section of the spire to be removed when it has been fully assembled.

Those platforms might be needed for constructing other elements that is not visibly noticeable to the public.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
horrifying ? come on would you please stop exaggerating ! the antennae is no way that bad for such a remark to be made .
Probably meant horrible and I agree. It looks much much worse in person. Though, I wonder if the ring will help a little.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheadroom View Post
Probably meant horrible and I agree. It looks much much worse in person. Though, I wonder if the ring will help a little.
There is still a lot left of the antenna to be done the ring; the guyed wires; etc,then once it's Finnish then is when we should past judgment.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 4:57 PM

It would be AWESOME if this forum could drop all of the rancor going back-and-forth and get back to a mature discussion about this wonderful tower. It seems like everyone is so busy being pissed off at one another, that only 10% of the posts these days are actually about construction progress. More pics and videos!!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 4:58 PM

[QUOTE=TechTalkGuy;6020365]Wow !!

Glad I don't know anything about a "hookah" (and please don't tell me (ignorance is bliss)).

A hookah (hukkā or huqqah)[1][2] also known as a waterpipe,[3] arghile, or qalyān is a single or multi-stemmed instrument for smoking flavored tobacco called shisha in which the smoke is passed through a water basin (often glass based) before inhalation.

Anyway, I do not have a problem with 1WTC having a mast instead of a spire. My problem is that the design of this mast is very ugly due to the fact that it was meant to be covered. If it looked like like the masts on Sears or JHC then I think it would be more appropriate. But removing the covering and leaving the skeletal form on top of such a sleek building seems really inappropriate.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
You sound very misinformed and seem to have drifted off topic because I hurt your feelings.

I'm 27, and yes the WTC is only expensive because of New York incompetence and bureaucracy. Massive fines levied on this building for missing deadlines, enormous union costs, etc. That and over-the-top security measures to protect this building against another terrorist attack. The design of the exterior has nothing to do with it. So bravo! After 11 years, confusion and incompetence, this is your big reveal! A tapered box being topped with a ratty antenna! The most expensive building in the world, ladies and gents. Lol.

Go on, keep showering paradise on this heap of shit being placed on the top of this building.
Seriously, you hit the nail on the head. This tower is emblematic of EVERYTHING that is wrong with the US today--wasteful spending with an end result that is incredibly sub-par. It's a travesty that $4 BILLION DOLLARS were spent on this stupid building.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 5:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

MOR BASS!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 5:58 PM

Enough!!!!!!!!! If you lost a loved one in 9/11 you wouldn't think it's a waste of money. It's a sign of hope. Welcome to America, it's a capitalist county and I'm glad they built this building to reassure America we stand united and strong. Now put aside your ambivalence and move forward with actual good quality discussions about this building.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:02 PM

Since this forum is starting to sound like the squaking on the hillbilly antique auto restoration forums I check out once in awhile
.....the childish Ford vs. Chevy arguements over there are now becoming the Antenna vs. Spire rants on here.
I Guess I'll add my 2cents while the bitchin is going on.

I agree I also think we lost a "joint" on top and gained a "hooka pipe".

To me the odd bumps and tapers of the mast look odd, I dont think the
guywires will have enough thickness to distract the viewer from the goofy mast shape.

It tells the post 9/11 story perfectly....."Its not done because we ran out of money".
I prefer to think of 1WTC as being perpetually unfinished....like the unfinished bell towers on a catherdal or spanish mission.

The base glass looks good so far, I wish the tapered corners were still there, its such a massive wall of steel & concrete
I can see why the taper was put there in the first place....to add some intrest & design at street level.

I wish they would just hurry up and finish the friggin thing.

Last edited by rack776; Feb 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire state of mind View Post
Enough!!!!!!!!! If you lost a loved one in 9/11 you wouldn't think it's a waste of money. It's a sign of hope. Welcome to America, it's a capitalist county and I'm glad they built this building to reassure America we stand united and strong. Now put aside your ambivalence and move forward with actual good quality discussions about this building.
I lost a love one and suffered with friends who also lost loved ones. I still think the PA wasted a ton of money and ruined a beautiful and thoughtfully designed building.

I'm also not going to pretend my opinion of the building is controlling because I'm one of the thousands of unlucky New Yorkers to be touched by tragedy.

If you like the antenna, good. If you like the base, good. But, please don't pretend the PA's execution of this project is infallible because it's the World Trade Center.

Also, I don't know why people seem so against complaining? I thought we were allowed to talk about our opinion on the design? Or is this forum only for "AWESOME PICTURE CARLOS!"? "EARTHCAM IS DOWN/BACK"

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:13 PM

Yeah, it's becoming annoying with all these complaints regarding the dumb antenna/spire. If they don't count it, Durst will hear a mouth full, if they do, they do. Move on already. To me, this building is amazing, regardless of what the base or spire looks like. The fact that this building got built is a miracle in itself, but either way, I love to see the Downtown skyline restored with the height. This is the resting place of thousands of people, so the tower does deserve beauty, but the power of it is there, which is important IMO.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
You sound very misinformed and seem to have drifted off topic because I hurt your feelings.

I'm 27, and yes the WTC is only unbelievably expensive because of New York/US incompetence and bureaucracy. Massive fines levied on this building for missing deadlines, enormous union costs, etc. That and over-the-top security measures to protect this building against another terrorist attack. The design of the exterior has nothing to do with it. So bravo! After 11 years, confusion and incompetence, this is your big reveal! A tapered box being topped with a ratty antenna! The most expensive building in the world, ladies and gents. Lol.

Go on, keep showering paradise on this heap of shit being placed on the top of this building.
Right On! Why would any terrorist attack this new "fortress" when there are a million other places in the country they could cause problems at.

Even if the site was left as a park with flat dirt & grass, you'd have wackos protesting or getting into trouble there. Idiots mess everything up.

So sad to see this is what we waited for, 2 out of 4 towers, no museum, and perpetual construction.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

wait, why is anyone still debating spire vs antenna? i thought we dodged, i mean compromised to call it a mast.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:17 PM

JUST STOP THE ANTENNA/SPIRE/MAST NONSENSE!

Enjoy the new WTC tower for what it is.. as much as we're frustrated at the lack of Radome, etc. It's not happening!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:19 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
There is still a lot left of the antenna to be done the ring; the guyed wires; etc,then once it's Finnish then is when we should past judgment.
I'm sorry but unless this was autocorrected on your iPhone I can't take seriously the opinion of someone who mistakes finishing something with a Norse Culture.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:34 PM
Mr. Technology

Just give this tower to Donald Trump and I would be pleased with his name in gold at the base with a golden spire at the top in the shape of a "T" for Trump !!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:48 PM

"One WTC has some of the world’s largest elevator motors tipping in at 50,000 pounds each."

Courtesy of WTC Progress on Facebook

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 6:50 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
wait, why is anyone still debating spire vs antenna? i thought we dodged, i mean compromised to call it a mast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
Well, in that case...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 9:51 PM

This is quite possibly the most out of order and disrespectful thread I have ever seen. People have opinions. Whether or not you agree with them is up to you. Does that mean that they are wrong for not thinking exactly what you were? No, it doesn't. How many of you are sitting at a desk, nowhere near New York City, and will most likely never see the tower? Seriously, if it really looked that bad (which my own, personal opinion, which I am entitled to, says it does not) how much would it impact your life? Do you wake up everyday and think, "I'm going to just give up on everything if this mast looks bad"? Try not to take yourself too seriously. It's a building, and a piece of metal on top of said building. Get over it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive