HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Please don't tell me this thread will turn into transit thread pt 2 again
Dude, what can I say? Transit _to the airport_ is sort of relevant to the Airport thread.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Dude, what can I say? Transit _to the airport_ is sort of relevant to the Airport thread.
Agreed but I got a little off topic last time.

@427MM, the 2014 rail line would have ended at Riverside and Grove but it would have been a potential spur for future expansion to the airport. I really hope that a commuter rail to the airport using the downtown rail station is the future rail connection and not an urban light rail connection but we are years away from that. Adding the Airport Line, Green line to east austin, manor and eldgin and Mokan line to Pflugerville, Round Rock and Georgetown would be a really great commuter rail system.

Quote:

Pfft 5x daily A380 at AUS, that's it?! I can see a highly successful 7x daily Concorde flight to Seoul and a 7x daily A380 flight to Seoul. I have been personally told by Korean Air's CEO this is what they plan to do with AUS.
I'll be happy to see ABIA be able to support the A380 but isn't the future of the plane in jeopardy? I think Airbus is praying China starts buying them all. Don't get me wrong, would be SUPER DOPE to see one at the port.

Last edited by freerover; Jan 12, 2018 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I'll be happy to see ABIA be able to support the A380 but isn't the future of the plane in jeopardy? I think Airbus is praying China starts buying them all. Don't get me wrong, would be SUPER DOPE to see one at the port.
It’s not certain if they’ll keep being made, but the frames that are around will likely continue to be used for a couple more decades. Surely long enough for EK to start its inevitable A380 service to AUS once we hit the twenty million passenger mark.

Mason and I are having a bit of an inside joke: there’s a guy on airliners.net who was, for a while, infamous for the most pointless speculation about new services. Kind of his crowning achievement was his insistence that Korean Air would do well to end service to DFW and start AUS instead because of all the passengers KE would be able to carry between AUS and places like Uzbekistan — capturing the lucrative .0005 PDEW between Austin and Tashkent is clearly the path to success!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 10:14 PM

If any of you guys need confirmation that a Delta Sky Club is coming, here it is:

Credit to ABIA Twitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Yes the future is in jeopardy, there are talks that production might be stopped if Airbus can't get an order from Emirates or a Chinese Airline that is substantial. I agree it would be a cool plane to see but I would much rather see a 748, I find it to be the better looking aircraft.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 1:25 AM

So logistically is it going to be worth basically retrofitting the airport to accommodate the A380. I'm pretty sure the long runway can handle the weight since it did handle a 747 with a space shuttle on its back. But what about taxiway widths, longer and double stacked sky bridges and enough terminal space to handle 500 + passengers boarding and deboarding and getting them through customs. And what if the route fails or there is a downgrade to a 747 or 777? And I agree that aesthetically, it is not the most attractive plane in the sky, but it would look amazing at the airport just due to is sheer size.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
So logistically is it going to be worth basically retrofitting the airport to accommodate the A380. I'm pretty sure the long runway can handle the weight since it did handle a 747 with a space shuttle on its back. But what about taxiway widths, longer and double stacked sky bridges and enough terminal space to handle 500 + passengers boarding and deboarding and getting them through customs. And what if the route fails or there is a downgrade to a 747 or 777? And I agree that aesthetically, it is not the most attractive plane in the sky, but it would look amazing at the airport just due to is sheer size.
I'm pretty sure the runway is fine in terms of handling the A380, taxiways' would likely have to be widened and I believe the A380 required a specifically built A380 gate like the one pictures in the top here:

The terminal needs more space inside too, the current international side becomes a crowded mess when a 787 flies in, I can only imagine what would happen if an A380 did. I know the new terminal extension is wider than the old so we'll have to see. I have heard that there is the capacity of up to 600pax per hour at its current state, so it might just be enough. If ABIA goes through all the effort upgrading just to see the plane downgraded or the route disappear, that would be awful. I'm glad you and I have the same taste in aircraft, the Queen can never be replaced.

In other words, thanks to a link posted on a.net, I have found the outbound and inbound passenger between several Canadian cities and Austin for the year 2016, here they are.
  • Toronto, 55,400 pax per year
  • Vancouver, 26,030 pax per year
  • Montréal, 18,690 pax per year
  • Calgary, 11,980 pax per year
  • Ottawa, 7,470 pax per year
  • Edmonton, 4,000 pax per year
source

One could only assume these numbers will be up for 2017 once they are posted, makes me hope that Air Canada will link Montréal and Vancouver to Austin.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
The runway can, yes — we’ve handled A380 diversions from IAH before (presumably that means that at least some of the taxiways and ramps can handle the weight).

The terminal would need adaptations to handle it - the extension will have double jetbridges on two gates, but I don’t believe they’re stacked for the 380. And, yeah, that’d be a lot of people at customs...but so will the 744!

I doubt that we’re looking at imminent A380 service here - by the time we’re ready to handle an aircraft of that size, the infrastructure will be built into the terminal improvements for that phase of expansion, most likely.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:42 AM
World Traveler

That's a big plane. I can't recall if I've flown on one of those yet or not on my trans-Pacific flights...I don't pay as much attention to that as I perhaps should.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:08 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

If I am not mistaken, ABIA's main (longest) runway is big enough to handle the A388. However, it is my understanding that it (the runway and airport terminal) would still require a signifiant amount of improvements for that type of regular service.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
If I am not mistaken, ABIA's main (longest) runway is big enough to handle the A388. However, it is my understanding that it (the runway and airport terminal) would still require a signifiant amount of improvements for that type of regular service.
The ramp and terminal would, yes. The runway (35L/17R) can take it—we’ve had A380 diversions and the C5-A supporting a few presidential visits.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:01 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
The ramp and terminal would, yes. The runway (35L/17R) can take it—we’ve had A380 diversions and the C5-A supporting a few presidential visits.
True dat, that runway can handle the largest planes in the world easily.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
B-52s and KC-135s were once stationed at Bergstrom back in the 60s, so if the runway could support those fully loaded along with the couple of times the shuttle on top of a 747 came to visit, then it can handle anything currently flying today. When I had base privileges back in the 80s, I used to sit on the flight line (far enough back to keep the SPs from harrassing me) and see what was in for a visit, saw everything from A-7s, F-15s and the occasional C-5, even an E-3 AWACS. In addition to the A-380 diversions from Houston, there have been An-124s as well

The only thing holding back an A-380 is probably the terminal and lack of A-380 jetways and possibly the ramp right in front of the terminal. Most of the ramps and taxiways left over from the days of the USAF can probably support the weight of an A-380.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:47 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiffers View Post
B-52s and KC-135s were once stationed at Bergstrom back in the 60s, so if the runway could support those fully loaded along with the couple of times the shuttle on top of a 747 came to visit, then it can handle anything currently flying today. When I had base privileges back in the 80s, I used to sit on the flight line (far enough back to keep the SPs from harrassing me) and see what was in for a visit, saw everything from A-7s, F-15s and the occasional C-5, even an E-3 AWACS. In addition to the A-380 diversions from Houston, there have been An-124s as well

The only thing holding back an A-380 is probably the terminal and lack of A-380 jetways and possibly the ramp right in front of the terminal. Most of the ramps and taxiways left over from the days of the USAF can probably support the weight of an A-380.
Very true. I remember seeing the 747 with the shuttle land as a kid, also saw those massive military planes land and take off. The great thing about converting Bergstrom AFB into the airport is much of the runway infrastructure was already in place and you can't ask for a better runway than our longest.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 1:11 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Is it the Korean Air 5x daily A380 service between AUS-ICN that the fanboy over on airliners.net insists would be super duper successful? Go on, you can tell me
Judging by Austin1971's use of words, I'm inclined to think that whatever is in store is much bigger than a specific trans-oceanic route. I won't speculate what it could be but he's not one to post statements lightly. If he says it's going to be HUGE in bold and to hold on to our hats (though I don't wear hats lol) then it's gonna be a big deal whatever it is.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Judging by Austin1971's use of words, I'm inclined to think that whatever is in store is much bigger than a specific trans-oceanic route. I won't speculate what it could be but he's not one to post statements lightly. If he says it's going to be HUGE in bold and to hold on to our hats (though I don't wear hats lol) then it's gonna be a big deal whatever it is.
7x daily A380 service to Seoul, called it! Joking aside, here are my thoughts about what 2018 has in store for AUS. Judging by Austin1971's comments, I agree with you, Jdawgboy, in that 2018 have a heck of a lot more news than 2017 did, and 2017 was fantastic. My guesses for what happens in 2018 are as follows, feel free to agree or disagree.

1. Delta airlines up gauges aircraft on existing routes as well as adding a few new routes, I’m thinking MCO and PDX. BOS is being up gauged from a A319 to A320 and then up to a 738. SEA has already been up gauged to a 738 as well. These can be found by searching for flights at:https://www.delta.com/

2. Delta airlines builds a hangar for line maintenance as stated previously by an a.netter at AUS, the post can be found here. Delta will have plenty of land and will likely receive a nice compensation from ABIA. There is a sizable gap in the Texas region between Delta maintenance stations.

3. The 9 gate expansion opens up early, late 2018. Originally set to open 2019 per ABIA , would be big news indeed if it opened this year. Once this opens, I feel a rush of news would follow.

4. If the extension does open this year, we could likely see the rumored Amex Connect flights to GDL and MTY, along with mainline to MEX.

5. The AMS flight comes to fruit, starting late 2018, praying that it will be operated by KLM and not Delta (who can resist the KLM livery). Service will be 3x weekly on an A332 aircraft seating 243

6. This is far fetched but I can dream, Korean Air 3x weekly to ICN, operated by an A332 seating 218

7. Air Canada begins daily YVR flights to AUS operated by a E175 seating 76. Judging by 2016 pax numbers from AUS to YVR found here, Air Canada will eventually connect YVR to AUS, hopefully happening 2018.

8. Norwegian promptly expand at AUS, I'm hoping that the LGW flight does well and Norwegian will expand to their other bases in Europe like BCN and CDG, operated 3x weekly by 788 aircraft.

9. Icelandair and/or WOW come to AUS, one or both of these carriers announce seasonal summer service to AUS operated 4x weekly by a 752 on Icelandair and a A321neo by WOW

10. ViaAir bases most of their aircraft at AUS, opens a matienance hangar to serve them, and adds many new routes. This could very well happen this year, ViaAir has stated that they want to be known as Austin's hometown airline and planes to base crews and maintenance at AUS.

These are my thoughts about what could happen in 2018, I know these ideas are far fetched and few will actually happen, but I find it nice to speculate about what is coming up as AUS continues to grow at a feverish pace.

Last edited by masonh2479; Jan 19, 2018 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:12 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but are there any links to ABIA cams? ...and will the new expansion be complete by late May? This boy is going back to Europe

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:16 AM

Chamber of Commerce promoting a big Delta "announcement" at the Annual Meeting on Feb 6. The last big announcement at a Chamber meeting was Sen. Watson's Capital Express announcement back in October. The Gov quickly crushed that one.

Any guesses as to which of the things you guys have already talked about will be announced in February?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but are there any links to ABIA cams? ...and will the new expansion be complete by late May? This boy is going back to Europe
New expansion to be completed in 2019 per ABIA construction. I found some cameras here: http://www.earthcam.net/projects/abia/terminal/

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
Chamber of Commerce promoting a big Delta "announcement" at the Annual Meeting on Feb 6. The last big announcement at a Chamber meeting was Sen. Watson's Capital Express announcement back in October. The Gov quickly crushed that one.

Any guesses as to which of the things you guys have already talked about will be announced in February?
If there is a link could you post it please, thank you in advance. Could be the opening of a focus city, or the AMS flight, or the maintenance hangar. Hopefully all 3

Last edited by masonh2479; Jan 19, 2018 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:20 AM

Quote:
If there is a link could you post it please, thank you in advance. Could be the opening of a focus city, or the AMS flight, or the maintenance ce hangar. Hopefully all 3
No link. Verbal announcement at a meeting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin