HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:26 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The Jays aren't really a home market of 37M when you take into account the proximity of other teams to other Canadians (Seattle/BC, Minnesota/MB, Boston/East Coast...not even including the complete black hole that is Quebec for the Jays). Why would someone in BC be a Jays fan when they have Seattle nearby on a timezone that works better for them? It's not as if Canadians are afraid to support NFL teams despite there being no presence for the league in Canada whatsoever in the team category. The Jays are a great bandwagon team for Canada as a whole (except Quebec) but that's about it. They're a nifty thing to do for Canadian tourists visiting Toronto in the summer, that's for sure.

The Blue Jays are a Toronto team that happen to be the only Canadian team in the MLB. Pretty much ends there IMO.
That may be the case where you live but it certainly wasn't while I was growing up in Halifax. The Jays were very much followed like it was our own team. If one was ignorant of geography you'd never know that Toronto was 2000 km away. It wasn't some nifty thing to do when visiting Toronto either. It was more like a great day to finally see your team live after watching 500 Blue Jays games on television.

Perhaps baseball just isn't part of the culture where you are in Ottawa. I don't think basketball is either. I certainly noticed the cultural gulf between Ottawa and Halifax when attending the Final 8 in Ottawa. It was immediately evident that basketball wasn't part of Ottawa culture. The arena was half empty (Ottawa fans only outnumbered Nova Scotians by about 2:1) and most of the Ottawa crowd looked like they'd never been to a game before.

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 9, 2019 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Perhaps baseball just isn't part of the culture where you are in Ottawa. I don't think basketball is either. I certainly noticed the cultural gulf between Ottawa and Halifax when attending the Final 8 in Ottawa. It was immediately evident that basketball wasn't part of Ottawa culture. The arena was half empty (Ottawa fans only outnumbered Nova Scotians by about 2:1) and most of the Ottawa crowd looked like they'd never been to a game before.
There is definitely a decent baseball culture in Ottawa. Basketball not so much, though it's growing there as it is in most places.

In terms of basketball culture in Ottawa it's probably somewhere in between Montreal and Toronto (similar to where the city sits geographically).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Basketball in Quebec is where the sport was in Ontario about 10 years ago. The number of quality players coming out of Quebec has grown substantially in just the last 5 years. Fast forward to say 2025-2030, the Raptors will likely still be #1 in Quebec (unless Montreal lands its own team) and it will mean something.
It will mean about the same as what it means that the Blue Jays are number 1 by default in Quebec at the moment. Which is to say... not that much.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:36 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Perhaps baseball just isn't part of the culture where you are in Ottawa. I don't think basketball is either.
I was certainly surrounded by baseball culture on the East Coast and the Red Sox sure seemed to be the predominant team, at least around Saint John. Maybe things have changed in the past five or ten years.

I've gone to Champions games and the crowds are decent given where the stadium is and the level of play it is. Stadium is crammed between the 417 and a Canadian Tire parking lot so it's not exactly scenic and certainly not walkable for most.

Quote:
I certainly noticed the cultural gulf between Ottawa and Halifax when attending the Final 8 in Ottawa. It was immediately evident that basketball wasn't part of Ottawa culture. The arena was half empty (Ottawa fans only outnumbered Nova Scotians by about 2:1) and most of the Ottawa crowd looked like they'd never been to a game before.
Which is funny given that Ottawa has had two of the strongest CIS basketball programs the past few years. Most basketball fans I know in Ottawa are recent immigrants...

Halifax is a good basketball town, though, comparably.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I was certainly surrounded by baseball culture on the East Coast and the Red Sox sure seemed to be the predominant team, at least around Saint John. Maybe things have changed in the past five or ten years.

My sense is that the shift to the Blue Jays as the predominant MLB team in Atlantic Canada took hold sooner than 5-10 years ago. More like 20-25?

The shift to the Patriots as the predominant football/NFL team in the region is IMO fairly recent, though. And obviously totally related to their 21st century success. Despite their proximity I don't recall hearing about them much at all when I was a kid living in the Maritimes. There was *some* NFL interest for sure, but no specific team stood out.

I do remember the Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins noticeably having some fans though, likely for "regional" reasons. One of my teachers was a huge Celtics fans and often wore their gear. He was of Irish origin too, so that probably helped!

Last edited by Acajack; Jan 8, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 4:16 PM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My sense is that the shift to the Blue Jays as the predominant MLB team in Atlantic Canada took hold sooner than 5-10 years ago. More like 20-25?

The shift to the Patriots as the predominant football/NFL team in the region is IMO fairly recent, though. And obviously totally related to their 21st century success. Despite their proximity I don't recall hearing about them much at all when I was a kid living in the Maritimes. There was *some* NFL interest for sure, but no specific team stood out.

I do remember the Boston Celtics and Boston Bruins noticeably having some fans though, likely for "regional" reasons. One of my teachers was a huge Celtics fans and often wore their gear. He was of Irish origin too, so that probably helped!
Growing up on PEI, I noted the following affinities:

Hockey was definitely Montreal vs Toronto, and the fan loyalties to either team were as intense as Man City vs Man United. The Bruins weren't on the radar. They might have been more so in Saint John (Boston is a lot closer to them). I'm pretty sure Moncton was a Habs town.

Football was all CFL. The NFL didn't really register on PEI when I was a kid. I don't think any one team had a particularly loyal following.

Baseball was all Expos on PEI. Even after the Jays entered the league, it took them about 10 years or so to make any dent in the Expos following.

Basketball didn't register at all on the Island (except for the Harlem Globetrotters).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 8:57 PM

Quote:
I've gone to Champions games and the crowds are decent given where the stadium is and the level of play it is. Stadium is crammed between the 417 and a Canadian Tire parking lot so it's not exactly scenic and certainly not walkable for most.
I believe the Champions stadium is in a relatively convenient location and will be even better once the Confederation Line is up and running.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 4:16 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
I believe the Champions stadium is in a relatively convenient location and will be even better once the Confederation Line is up and running.
Yeah. No one will go there for the charm, but it's not really that hard to get to.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 3:53 AM
GQMF

I don't watch too much tennis but will Raonic ever win any big tournaments? He has a killer serve but can be very frustrating to watch some times.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:37 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
I don't watch too much tennis but will Raonic ever win any big tournaments? He has a killer serve but can be very frustrating to watch some times.
He has the ability to win majors. Whether or not he will win majors depends on his composure, consistency, and ability not to get injured. He's a top five player when he's on, and beating Kyrgios and Wawrinka back to back is a good sign for his year, although it's an incredibly tough draw.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 6:53 PM

It just seems as if the matches that he puts it ALL together are few and far between

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 5:36 AM

Raonic advances to quarter finals.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:50 PM
The New Republic

Luck of the draw plays a part in results. When top players like Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are upset it opens the door for players like Raonic. The stars have never aligned for him so he might have to do it the old fashioned way: beat one of those top 3 guys. If he plays as well as he did against Zverev will it be enough?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 10:40 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Luck of the draw plays a part in results. When top players like Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are upset it opens the door for players like Raonic. The stars have never aligned for him so he might have to do it the old fashioned way: beat one of those top 3 guys. If he plays as well as he did against Zverev will it be enough?
Zverev has a habit of not doing well in majors, though. He's never made a major semifinal despite having incredibly favourable draws to do so. Raonic's wins over Kyrgios and Wawrinka were more impressive, IMO.

I agree that Raonic needs to step up against Nadal/Federer/Djokovic at some point but he's also had incredible injury issues in the past which restricted him from even facing them in the first place. As it stands Federer is already out and it wouldn't shock me to see Tiafoe give Nadal a good run for his money or Nishikori giving Djokovic a good match.

Raonic has looked incredibly good this week in Australia so we'll see how he manages Pouille and possibly Djokovic/Nishikori. Exciting times, regardless.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 1:11 PM
arf

^Especially Wawrinka. Coming back from injury or not Wawrinka has the head to make you work even if he's not on. Not an easy out there. Kyrgios, while very dangerous some days could also just gift you a couple of sets. There's a player I would give a hard time too. Raonic has played pretty well, done well with his skillset and had a lot of very good results.

Shapovalov had a pretty good tournament too. Taking a set off Djokovic in the third round. That's a tough draw.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:06 AM
The New Republic

If Raonic advances to the Semi it likely won't matter who he faces. He's 0-9 against Djokovic but hasn't done much better against Nishikori: 2-5. Regardless it's nice having a horse in the race. That said, it was much easier watching when I didn't care who one.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 2:08 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Shapovalov had a pretty good tournament too. Taking a set off Djokovic in the third round. That's a tough draw.
Quite right. Some forget how young Shapovalov is. Getting to the Round of 32 is a huge accomplishment. As long as he continues to make incremental improvements he'll be just fine.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:51 PM
The New Republic

I have a tennis question I haven't been able to answer so I'll pose it here. The Canadian Open (Rogers Cup) is listed as the 3rd oldest tournament in all of tennis (behind only Wimbledon and the US Open). I looked into it online which listed 1881 as when both the US Open and Canadian Open began. Intrigued, I wanted to see by how many days the US Open is older than the Canadian Open but the information suggests the opposite.

The 1st Canadian National Championship (original name) occurred July 18th - 24th while the 1st US National Championship (original name) occurred August 31st - September 3rd. If this is correct why is the US Open considered older? I provided the links to this information below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Open_(tennis)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1881_Men%27s_Tennis_tour

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
If Raonic advances to the Semi it likely won't matter who he faces.
Lost to Pouille in the QFs anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada