HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 2:02 AM

Sounds good

You do know a imperial pint is 20 oz. Many places now go 16 or 18. I will give this place a shot shortly.
The average pub price for a domestic pint is $4-6. Like Squires is around $5. I hope your correct.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 5:14 AM

16 to 18 ounces is not a pint, it's a joke. Any bar that calls something other than 20 imperial ounces a pint rids themselves of all credibility when me or any other serious beer drinker finds out.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 4:43 PM

Anyone know where the cheapest pints in Hamilton are (not counting legions or social clubs)? Last I checked, you could get a pint of 50 at the Prince Edward Tavern for $3.65 and that's the cheapest I know.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 5:59 PM

The cheapest I know if is $4 pints of Venom from This Ain't Hollywood.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 10:31 PM

i had some really really cheap pints at the engine house on barton. also, valley spring on cannon, just west of james.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhornich View Post
i had some really really cheap pints at the engine house on barton. also, valley spring on cannon, just west of james.
Didn't even know those places existed. I'll have to check them out and see if they're less than $3.65.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 2:07 AM

cheap beer

Check out the :Come by Chance" on Melvin.
It is under $6 for a mini jug of domestic.
Aceti's on Main East has $3 bottles and $4 pints from 4-7 daily and good daily deals.
Kelseys has $3.99 pints daily and 1/2 wings Thurs. Pints may be 18oz.
Boston Pizza has small pints.
I was really disappointed with Cottage Living with 16oz small Coors glasses at a regulat price. That was 2 yrs ago ain't been back since.
Nice decor but not worth the price plus parking is a bitch.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Anyone know where the cheapest pints in Hamilton are (not counting legions or social clubs)? Last I checked, you could get a pint of 50 at the Prince Edward Tavern for $3.65 and that's the cheapest I know.
Get outta here...pints of 50? Is that a misprint? I'd brave the Prince Edward for some of that sweetness.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 3:38 PM

I thought this was about "Hotel Development" not cuisine and drinking! Should this not be in Culture, Dining, Sports and Recreation?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 6:26 PM

the prince edward is actually quite nice inside. i grew up looking at that place through my school fence, and finally went for a drink there last year with a friend from school. we couldn't get in to a bachelor party at Dom Polski though.

Cottage Living... i believe has gone out of business, only to be replaced by
"4 BUCKS $ALOON", which looks like crap, based solely on the cheap sign. I would assume they have 4 dollar pints though.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhornich View Post
the prince edward is actually quite nice inside. i grew up looking at that place through my school fence, and finally went for a drink there last year with a friend from school. we couldn't get in to a bachelor party at Dom Polski though.

Cottage Living... i believe has gone out of business, only to be replaced by
"4 BUCKS $ALOON", which looks like crap, based solely on the cheap sign. I would assume they have 4 dollar pints though.
Really cheap food too with a bizarrely wide selection. Hands down the best place to go before a Ticat home game.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 10:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Vismeg duo brings new life to Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center in Hamilton

Dec 26, 2010
http://www.eturbonews.com/20213/vism...erence-center-

HAMILTON, Ontario, Canada - Darko Vranich, President and CEO of Vrancor Group of Companies, has welcomed Frank Vismeg as Director of Business Development and Marketing, as well as Sonia Vismeg as Director of Food and Beverage and as a Wedding Consultant, for the newly-refurbished Sheraton Hotel & Conference Center-Hamilton, effective this month.

As Director of Business Development and Marketing, Frank Vismeg will be responsible for all aspects of marketing and the generating of new business. Sonia Vismeg will assisting the Vrancor management team to bring a new vision for generating wedding business and revise the packages and menus for this newly-renovated prestigious property. In addition, both of them will continue to manage and operate the Pinestone Resort & Conference Centre in Haliburton, as well as assist with two new hotels under development in Hamilton.

Vismeg brings extensive industry experience and a strong network of relationships developed within the hotel industry, business community, service organization,s and various levels of government. He has been managing properties in the Toronto area, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Hamilton, Boca Raton, Florida, Bucharest, and Romania. Most recently, Frank and Sonia took over management - with Frank as the Managing Director and Sonia as the Director of Operations - of the Pinestone Resort Conference Centre in Haliburton, Ontario. Vismeg has successfully opened three new Hilton Garden Inns (Burlington, Niagara-on-the-Lake, and Ajax); Homewood Suites by Hilton, Burlington; and Hampton Inn London for the Vrancor Group of Hotels since 2005.

Frank Vismeg, President of Skål International Toronto North 2010, is an active member of several professional associations including the International Hotel & Restaurant Association, CSAE (Canadian Society of Association Executives), Tourism Advisory Committee, and a member of several Chambers of Commerce including Hamilton, Haliburton, and Oakville. Vismeg has met and mingled with royalty, celebrities, and dignitaries from around the world.

Frank and Sonia have organized functions from extravagant black-tie events to outdoor barbeques, and they will work to provide more options through food and beverage outlets within the hotel's operations. Menu selections will embrace the idea of thinking globally and acting locally, enabling local culinary treats to be included among a list of internationally-appreciated selections. The Vismeg’s have also made many key contacts and have been hands-on contributors to the Oakville community, serving on numerous associations, including the Chamber of Commerce, CEO, Rotary Club, and the Canadian Club of Halton Peel. Frank has received official recognition from the Prime Ministers of Canada, the Premiers of Ontario, the Ministers of Tourism, and for awards of business excellence.

“Having ... veteran hotelier[s] like Frank and Sonia Vismeg, with the international experience and relationships in all aspects of the hospitality and tourism industry, will add a positive driving force in our goal to strengthen the position and improve the performance of both elegantly-designed properties within the community, together with the management team of the Vrancor Hotels Group,” said Darko Vranich, President and CEO of Vrancor Group of Companies.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 4:24 PM

Ron Marini, director of Hamilton’s downtown renewal projects, was on Bill Kelly on Friday and he said he and staff had recently met with a developer and his Montreal based Architect. The developer wanted his Architect to talk to staff to find out the vision and direction the city wanted in the area so the approval process would be smother. He said this was on George Street (Hess Village) and included 2 Hotels!

(This is being posted in “Downtown Update” & “Hotel Developments”)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 11:29 PM

Hotelier quits downtown

By Steve Arnold / Hamilton Spectator

Hotel operator Oscar Kichi has walked away from downtown Hamilton.

After 15 years of trying to build a business in the heart of the city, Kichi has allowed the lease to lapse on the Crowne Plaza Hotel and plans to concentrate on more promising ventures.

“I put enough time into that hotel. I built it up and now it’s time to move on,” he said. “It’s not really profitable, but it’s doing OK. Downtown Hamilton is a very difficult environment for a hotel.”

While he is finished as a downtown hotel operator, Kichi retains one link to the core — he still owns the Lincoln Alexander Centre, a conference space he created in a former cinema next to the Crowne Plaza.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:01 AM
Hammer'd

Good riddance.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:07 AM

I'm sure there are some challenges running a hotel in downtown Hamilton, but I think that's too easy an excuse. The hotel was very poorly run, the service was terrible.

I stayed in that hotel once, because the Sheraton and the Visitors Inn on Main were full. No other half decent choices. It was the worst hotel I've stayed at, and I've stayed in enough hotels to know. First, the online booking service was broken so I had to call. When I arrived, there was nobody at the reception desk and we stood around waiting or someone to show up. The guy at the desk seemed confused and barely spoke. He was definitely not suited to a job dealing with the public. We found our room dirty. Although the hotel had been renovated just a few months before, several things were broken and the construction was extremely shabby. All the TV channels were fuzzy, the cable was not hooked up properly. We had reserved a crib for my daughter, but they did not have one ready. It took an hour for them to find one, it was already well past my daughter's bedtime. The crib came with no sheets, so she had to sleep in the bed with us anyway. But none of us slept, because there was noise coming from every direction as people partied till the wee hours of the morning. We were dog tired and had a wedding to attend the next day. Soon after that, the hotel temporarily lost the Crowne Plaza brand. Not surprising.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 2:48 PM

Does the Lincoln Alexander Centre see any use? It looks nice from the outside, but I've never heard of an event actually taking place there.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Small little events take place at the Lincoln Alexander Centre. The City uses the place for open houses as well, Gore Park Master plan.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 9:05 PM

Lincoln Alexander Centre was supposed to be used for live performances, but Concord wouldn't invest in a sound system so that killed any use of that type.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 2:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton