HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 4:21 PM
Hindrance to Development

Second Saturday

Considering that there is so much else going on in the realm of nightlife, arts and entertainment, it seems like Second Saturday itself deserves a separate thread. Here's a bit of news I got this morning:
Quote:
Second Saturday shuttle planned for art walk
Sacramento Business Journal - by Melanie Turner Staff writer
Beginning Saturday the Midtown Business Association and Sacramento City Councilman Steve Cohn are sponsoring a free shuttle during the Second Saturday art walk.

The shuttle will run every 15 minutes from 6 to 10 p.m. with stops along J and L streets and Capitol Avenue. The shuttle aims to help relieve traffic and assist with pedestrian flow.

"The city and the midtown businesses are deploying the shuttle to emphasize that Second Saturday is all about people enjoying walking around the Central City," Cohn said in a news release. "You can bike or park your car and walk everywhere. It's a great pedestrian experience."

There will be no parking on J Street between 19th and 21st streets, and street closures on 20th Street between I and K streets. Available parking lots include the East End Garage at 17th and L streets ($2 prepaid) and Sutter Parking Garage at 29th Street and Capitol Avenue ($5 prepaid).

To learn more about the shuttle, go to www.mbasac.com. To learn more about Second Saturday, go to midtowngrid.com and sacramento-second-saturday.org.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 1:26 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Second Saturday is, hands down, the coolest thing going in Sacramento. Even cooler than the Friday summer concerts downtown, which are pretty damn cool.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 1:30 AM
them bones

^And both events all the better if Streets of London and a bicycle are involved!!!

Truthfully those two things are a huge part of what made living in DT Sacramento palatable for me.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 3:12 AM

How is second saturday?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 2:36 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjfox View Post
How is second saturday?
Great question: It started out as an art walk, really not very exciting in the very beginning. Then, it has exploded over the years into more of a street festival, something comparable to a little more sober and sophisticated Halloween in Isla Vista (UC Santa Barbara) with mixed crowds and ages (smaller of course). You will find art walks, live bands in the streets, hip hop shows in the streets, belly dancers with fire and something new and different every time. Its really cool, and something Sacramento should be proud of..

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 4:18 PM
Ugliest Lamps on Earth!

I remember in the 90's, it was just that. 'The Art Walk'. At that time, you would see a small groups of people going from gallery to gallery. I liked it though. From that, it grew to more than just the art walk. Now simply known as 'Second Saturday' . I really like the energy it brings to midtown. It would be great to have the same vibrancy at all times. Daytime as well.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 8:22 PM
Hindrance to Development

It used to be a lot more spread out: there were galleries throughout downtown and midtown, more along Del Paso (the Phantom Galleries) that were actually busier than downtown/midtown and open later, plus a few outliers like the Dubnick (now in MARRS) that was out on Howe Avenue.

The way I like to put it is that Saturdays now are about as busy as Second Saturdays were 15 years ago, Tuesdays now are about as busy as Saturdays were 15 years ago, and Second Saturdays are about as busy as Thursday Night Market was 15 years ago.

Much of what drives Second Saturday are the kind of things you see on the street that you should really be able to see anytime: musicians, street vendors, people walking just to walk and to see the street scene. It's busy enough to be safe.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 8:26 PM

sweet. so i hear the next one is on oct. 11th? i think im gonna check it out. i agree with you wburg. that is how every saturday should be in sacramento. thanks for all the great info!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hindrance to Development

I'm not sure if every Saturday should be like Second Saturday, but every day should be considerably busier, a point that would be far easier to achieve just by expanding permits for street vending and street music.

Personally I steer clear of the Second Saturday epicenter around 20th and I/J/K unless I'm flyering for something--there are a lot of other events going on at some of the farther-out galleries, like the cluster around 19th and P (plus the gallery that did the Circus exhibit last month, on 19th and V) and a few other outliers. Once the crowd gets beyond a certain density you can't really see much of the art or do much but jostle around. But as the central mess gets bigger, the outlying stuff at other galleries gets more attention too.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 4:20 AM

yea dude definatley. like i could totally see midtown becoming more of an entertainment district. street musicians would give this place some good character points. i think i might try and play at second saturday sometime. that would be pretty rad.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 4:51 AM
Hindrance to Development

Even on Second Saturday you can't just set up and play, there are permit limits--you have to be on a specific half-block, for instance.

Where such activity is desperately needed is farther downtown. Midtown's doing just fine these days, but downtown really needs a shot in the arm. Obviously with the housing market the way it is, we can't build our way to a busy street right now (and, if history is any indication, that way generally doesn't work.) Moving some of that Second Saturday mojo a few blocks east (and there are already some galleries there, like the one above Bud's Buffet) would put foot traffic where it's really needed, and maybe provide more incentive for all those restaurants that close at 5:00 to stay open a little longer.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 6:40 AM

And it does not have to be actual galleries. On SS, I've seen everything from restaurants to clothing stores to fitness gyms to yoga studios to real estate offices and more become temporary galleries displaying artwork.

Again, I'd certainly like to see Second Saturdays someday breakup into Second and Fourth Saturdays.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 10:42 PM

Speaking of restaurants showing art, feel free to swing by Tuli bistro to check out some paintings of mine on the walls. They will be up for another two weeks until the Second Sat in October.

In October I will be one among many area artists with work up at Bows and Arrows on L street. All proceeds will be donated to the Obama campaign.

In November I will have a solo show at Cuffs on J street. Show will be dj by Sam I Jam.

End of shameless promotion.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 3:33 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
All proceeds will be donated to the Obama campaign.
Maybe

Last edited by travis bickle; Nov 17, 2008 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 3:54 AM

Why would the Obama campaing pay for Rezko's legal bills?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 9:54 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactownTom View Post
Why would the Obama campaing pay for Rezko's legal bills?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...riends-office/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 12:26 AM

Dude Econgrad why?
First that article has nothing to do with Rezko and does not mention him once. Did you read it? Second, the old title and at present web address claims that this guy's office was raided. It was not, if you read the article it actual says: 'According to Chicago authorities, the FBI visited the offices in Joliet, Ill., of a Will County auditor to ask questions about Larry Walsh". They never went to Walsh's office and didn't raid a thing. Third, if you notice the source for the above quote it states: "According to Chicago authorities" which depict a possible reliable source. If you read further once they start to address why Walsh is being investigated, it changes to an invalid and unreliable source: "According to sources, the Walsh investigation may be tied to lobbying firm Smith Dawson and Andrews, which was hired in 2006 for $10,000 per month to help Will County acquire federal grants." When a news article uses language such as "according to sources," is should be suspect, as sources that can not be accounted for should be taken with a grain of salt. But the most important part of this is that the author of the article uses the word "may" in this above quote. Thus, he is taking what is said from these unreliable sources and formulating this heirsay and opinion into news. Also, a reader must be suspect of the article's source and as one can see it comes from the washington post, a media outlet one step above people magazine when it prints this type of opinionated garbage in the attempt at cause guilt by association for Obama. Do we need to talk about Doolittle and Abrimoff. Maybe we should because perhaps Doolittle has gone to a Second Saturday event and that would tie into this forum topic better.

How about a response that has something to do with Second Saturday.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 4:09 AM
Edge_City

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjfox View Post
How is second saturday?
Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf8278 View Post
Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.
Nice...good ol' Yogi.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 7:33 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronblue View Post
Dude Econgrad why?
First that article has nothing to do with Rezko and does not mention him once. Did you read it? Second, the old title and at present web address claims that this guy's office was raided. It was not, if you read the article it actual says: 'According to Chicago authorities, the FBI visited the offices in Joliet, Ill., of a Will County auditor to ask questions about Larry Walsh". They never went to Walsh's office and didn't raid a thing. Third, if you notice the source for the above quote it states: "According to Chicago authorities" which depict a possible reliable source. If you read further once they start to address why Walsh is being investigated, it changes to an invalid and unreliable source: "According to sources, the Walsh investigation may be tied to lobbying firm Smith Dawson and Andrews, which was hired in 2006 for $10,000 per month to help Will County acquire federal grants." When a news article uses language such as "according to sources," is should be suspect, as sources that can not be accounted for should be taken with a grain of salt. But the most important part of this is that the author of the article uses the word "may" in this above quote. Thus, he is taking what is said from these unreliable sources and formulating this heirsay and opinion into news. Also, a reader must be suspect of the article's source and as one can see it comes from the washington post, a media outlet one step above people magazine when it prints this type of opinionated garbage in the attempt at cause guilt by association for Obama. Do we need to talk about Doolittle and Abrimoff. Maybe we should because perhaps Doolittle has gone to a Second Saturday event and that would tie into this forum topic better.

How about a response that has something to do with Second Saturday.
Dude, I was just responding to sactown Toms question. That is why I didn't bother to print out the entire article. I really do not care about the issue. Get over yourself, the only reason I vote or not vote for someone is their beliefs, not some stupid scandal. Argue with whoever is writing these articles, send them an email. There are many articles about this scandal, before I typed in the entire first word yahoo automatically suggested to articles. Quit worrying, your man is going to win the election. Then you can go out the 2nd Saturday following the election and celebrate.

Last edited by econgrad; Oct 5, 2008 at 8:07 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area