HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 10:29 PM
still here

North Fargo. If you stick a couple of nice chain resaurants up there, retail, big box store, and some parks, this would be such a nice place. There are so many trees up there and it's close to downtown, NDSU, Fargodome, Newman Outdoor Field, dog park, Edgewood golf course, hotels, technology park, airport, and the interstate. There are two new hotels up there. Candlewood Suites and Homewood Suites by Hilton. The city of Fargo has talked about building some parks and more retail up there to encourage growth. I personally love North Fargo. It has the north woods feel to it.

The annexation thing is stupid. Yes, Fargo has lots of people moving to the south east along the Red River and near Bennet elementery but don't forget about southwest Fargo. From my understanding the SW part of the city is growing more rapidly. Annex south south of 52nd people. Who cares about the Barnes Township.

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
People with who have lots of money will also shop at botiques. Have you been to Uptown Cottage in Downtown Fargo. It does extremely well with their neat cape cod style furniture. I know plenty of botiques in downtown that have done well. Rich people don't just want to shop at Home Depot or Big Box retailers at all. That is a horibble stereotype. There are plenty of wealthy people walking downtown everyday. Believe me. I've seen it. I visit my dad in downtown a lot and there is a lot of wealthy people walking in downtown Fargo & Moorhead. How do you think those stores stay open. Use your noodle.
Yeah, that and the small scandenavian furniture store and a few thrift shops are the botiques I guess. Fargo's retail sector downtown is less then that of our sister city in the state to our South and once you take the alcohol serving establishments out its about the same as Grand Forks, which is really redevoloping their downtown fast just look at their paper. The Great Northern and that other restaurant next to the half-block long presently plywooded building sure did well didn't they because they closed!!

I can sure see the crowds of birds in downtown Fargo but I see few people.

Just out of curiousity what is your definition of "plenty" and "alot" of people walking around downtown? It can mean different things to different people, some say one is plenty others say 1,000 is plenty.

In my experience downtown it seems like usually other then cars and lots of them trying to get from Interstate 94 to North Fargo after a day of shopping at the mall!! and you see hardly anybody walking around like one would see in other cities. Sure is great walking on a street that people are driving past at 40 mph to whip the dirt and debris that the cities doesnt tend to clean up!!

I think what would make Downtown Fargo nice is a SuperTarget and Border's (im dreaming), keep the 10 or so bars also. They would have more people downtown and alot (not all) of the stuff they have downtown is currently unoccupied anyway or has hardly any customers it would bring in more taxes to the city by bringing more of the people from West dowtown.

They should also declare the neighborhoods just north and east downtown as blighted, seriously I have biked through some of these areas and they are the reason government's can excercise eminent domain in the first-place. Those homes almost have a shack like appearence and are wood-framed anyway, they have few brick homes in this city also, and not a brick home ive seen in these blighted neighborhoods.

Last edited by Midwesterner19; May 31, 2006 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 11:46 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner19
Yeah, that and the small scandenavian furniture store and a few thrift shops are the botiques I guess. Fargo's retail sector downtown is less then that our sister city in the state to our South and once you take the alcohol serving establishments out its about the same as Grand Forks. The restaurants downtown usually are waiting for people to come in and buy something to eat!! The Great Northern and that other restaurant next to the half-block long plywooded building sure did well didn't they because they closed!!

Just out of curiousity what is your definition of "plenty" and "alot" of people walking around downtown? It can mean different things to different people, some say one is plenty others say 1,000 is plenty.

In my experience downtown it seems like usually other then cars and lots of then trying to get from Interstate 94 to North Fargo after a day of shopping at the mall!! and you see hardly anybody walking around like one would see in other cities. Sure is great walking on a street that people are driving past at 40 mph to whip the dirt and debris that they dont clean up!!

I think what would make Downtown Fargo nice is a SuperTarget and Border's, keep the 10 or so bars also they would have more people downtown and alot of stuff they have downtown is currently unoccupied anyway or has hardly any customers it would bring in more taxes to the city by bringing more of the people from West dowtown.

They should also declare the neighborhoods just north and east downtown as blighted, seriously I have biked through some of these areas and they are the reason government's can excercise eminent domain in the first-place. Those homes almost have a shack like appearence and are wood-framed anyway, they have few brick homes in this city also, and not a brick home ive seen in these blighted neighborhoods.
NanoBison, I'm gonna let you deal with this one. Good Luck!

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 11:52 PM
still here

Quote:
Yeah, that and the small scandenavian furniture store and a few thrift shops are the botiques I guess. Fargo's retail sector downtown is less then that of our sister city in the state to our South and once you take the alcohol serving establishments out its about the same as Grand Forks, which is really redevoloping their downtown fast just look at their paper. The Great Northern and that other restaurant next to the half-block long presently plywooded building sure did well didn't they because they closed!!

In my experience downtown it seems like usually other then cars and lots of them trying to get from Interstate 94 to North Fargo after a day of shopping at the mall!! and you see hardly anybody walking around like one would see in other cities. Sure is great walking on a street that people are driving past at 40 mph to whip the dirt and debris that the cities doesnt tend to clean up!!

I think what would make Downtown Fargo nice is a SuperTarget and Border's (im dreaming), keep the 10 or so bars also. They would have more people downtown and alot (not all) of the stuff they have downtown is currently unoccupied anyway or has hardly any customers it would bring in more taxes to the city by bringing more of the people from West dowtown.

There's only one thing that I agree with. Huh. You said that downtown needs a nice SuperTarget. Maybe something nicer for a downtown. Duh. It's downtown. Maybe a Von Maur like a said in an earlier post. The one where I told everyone about my skyscraper idea for downtown.

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 11:54 PM
still here

Quote:

There's only one thing that I agree with. Huh. You said that downtown needs a nice SuperTarget. Maybe something nicer for a downtown. Duh. It's downtown. Maybe a Von Maur like a said in an earlier post. The one where I told everyone about my skyscraper idea for downtown.

Sorry, I thought that the first post didnt' go through.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 4:24 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

I submit, my novela...

Quote:

Hello again,

I see we are all online tonight at the same time. How ironic huh?
Anyways, to begin, when you say Fargo's downtown retail is weaker than our sister city in the state to the south, what are you referring to? Wahpeton? In terms of Grand Forks developing their downtown, well, truthfully there really isn't that much space and property that has to be developed. If you take a look at Aerial Photos of the two downtown areas of Grand Forks-East Grand Forks and Fargo-Moorhead, you can easily see the actual land area of the two downtowns is significantly different. The FM downtown area is easily approaching 3 times the size of the Grand Forks one. So if they were even doing just a little bit of development, in a small area, that would appear to be larger than if it was happening in say FM downtown.

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree once again with you Midwesterner. You seem to think that the national chains and big box retailers are what’s really going to set downtown Fargo apart from every other downtown area. You seem to think it’s success depends on it. While, yes, as the number of people in the downtown core continues to increase, I would expect to see some big box retailers setup shop in the vicinity, like with what is happening in downtown Moorhead with Walgreens building a new store (getting closed to finished too…). But, in my opinion, to copy that which is happening on 13th and 45th and every other American suburban community is not what a downtown is about. It’s about commercial services. It’s about Centralized government services (like our library, city hall, courthouses, police, fire, etc…). It’s about a central place of commerce (banks, legal firms, tech companies, service based companies). It’s not about building a retail giant. Yes, I want to see retail in the downtown core and a decent amount, but it should be the types that your not going to find at West Acres, or Osgood, or the Brandt Development, or the Las Vegas development. It’s about the A.K.A., The Red Shoe, Bone Appetit, Catherine's Collectibles, Christian Eggert Violins, Lena. K’s, Old Broadway, HoDo, Fort Knox, Juano’s, Monte’s, One World Imports, Uptown Cottage, Fantasy’s, The Broken Axe, etc… It’s about the places where the general public can congregate, the Plains Museum, the Rourke Museum, the Hjemkomst Center, Island Park, etc. Downtown is meant to be a destination and central business district. Any retail that would spin-off from that would be icing on the cake. What downtown needs is originality and the rest will follow.

In terms of the areas that should be blighted. I’m not sure why you said directly east of downtown. Directly east would be the Red River. If you’re talking directly east of downtown Moorhead, there’s nothing there. They tore down the two grain elevators to make way for commercial developments. For the area directly north of downtown are you referring to the area north of MeritCare, or the line of houses between the hospital and the train-tracks. If it’s the later, then yes, they should be torn down. If it’s farther north, your talking maybe 1 or 2 homes in certain areas that might need some work, but don’t necessarily need to be torn down. I was driving around today around 13th and the other areas you we’re talking about. I saw a few FOR SALE signs, but not as many as you made it out to be. I also saw a few SOLD signs. Go figure huh?

Anyways, if you’re looking for the areas of town that need the most work in terms of fixing up some run down houses or those that are simply past the point of fixing, you need to drive along the areas right next to NDSU. There are several beautiful homes, but they are the exception. There are many homes that have been housing students for several decades with no upkeep being done on them. I don’t blame the students, because it’s not their responsibility to fix the places up. I hold the renters accountable. Those bastards know they can pack 6 students into a 3 bedroom home, charge $1,200/month (whereas a normal person would scuff at the concept of more than $250/month if you saw the property you’d be renting) on the place and never have to worry, because they know the students keep coming back every year. They also know and take advantage of the fact that the students are willing to pay that price for the convenience of living that close to campus. Many of those houses are becoming eyesores for the campus area, which overall is beautiful. What they should do, is raze a couple of blocks of those homes leading towards the downtown area. Turn it into a sort of Dinkytown. Put some clubs/bars/hangouts, and other student services in high demand (books, laundry, etc….). That way you’d have a connectivity from NDSU to the downtown. I realize that there are families in there that consider that area their home, but I fear as NDSU continues to grow, them getting pushed out by newer developments will be the norm.

The other of town is directly WEST of downtown along 5th Ave N, going towards 15th St. That’s not exactly a nice part of town. I went looking for a home to rent with a friend for college. It was a great deal, $400/month for a 3 bedroom home. We’ll we drove into that area and once we saw the house, it’s door was torn off, hanging on it’s last hinge, the windows were barred up, the yard looked like it hadn’t been cut in over a year, and their was 3-4 junked vehicles in the backyard, and we could have swarn that they were bullet holes in the entry way of the house. Anyways, we didn’t stop to look, we kept driving on. Note to those not familiar with Fargo, this example is an exception to the norm. You usually don’t find this unless you look very hard.

If retail develops it should be at the first couple of floors of several new high-rise towers that I hope become a reality down the road. In terms of parking, the city is going to desperately need to build some more ramps, because parking will become more and more of a problem. The city should have deals too for shoppers that get discounts on the parking when they shop downtown. With as much as you say there’s plenty of parking Midwesterner, I remember reading about and listening to several hundred people complaining about the lack of parking downtown, when they proposed the CityScapes Plaza/ Arena development. So if we do have plenty of parking, any new development will consume that instantly, the way other individuals were indicating.

But Midwesterner, other than that, most of the downtown area is fine in my honest opinion and will only continue to grow and prosper, in the right direction, not towards suburban big box retailer normalcy.

I look forward to hearing your, what seems to be, improving stance on downtown. (you even offered an idea in your last post.... )

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 6:49 AM

Sorry, I meant the West (west of university) of Downtown and not East.

Anyway, it seems like a majority of the country's downtowns that are successful have alot of chain stores in them. This seems cold but national retailers just tend to usually do things better then locally owned ones because they are using successful business models rather then experimenting. I bike around these places you mention and they just dont seem to have many people inside at all shopping at all, but if they stay open with a small customer base more power to them I guess. I guess even though the number of people who come downtown to shop is very low those who come downtown to shop are big customers which is great.

I dont see the area south of NDSU changing at all, they have alot of blight but it doesnt get truely blighted enough for a government to declare eminent domain until you get to 7th and 8th avenue north and those are 35 mph roads. Entertainment corridors cant work along 35mph thoroughfares.

19th avenue north is in decent shape, just not that many customers unless they offer things like 99 cent waffle cones and 2 for 1 expresso's. Any new devolopment on the North Side should be 19th avenue North. It seems like to draw customers though in that area they have to big promotions such as those 99 cent waffle cones.

Eminent domain I doubt would go over as big here in ND as is it does in Ohio where middle-class attractive neighborhoods are being delcared blighted to build lofts.

13th avenue south is in decent shape, those homes are very small but that area has more of a retiree demographic, its north of their until Main when the run-down homes start to become very common.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 8:56 PM
still here

You sound like someone who only shops at the Wal-Mart Supercenters and never ever would shop at a place like Uptown Cottage. Just saying. And please just at least say one good thing about downtown Fargo-Moorhead. Maybe on a thread entitled "Fargo-Moorhead developments information" you could say some good things about the area. It's a great place to live and work in, not to mention visit. Please, say some good comments about the Fargo-Moorhead area. And yes, we are a little larger then Sioux Falls.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 9:18 PM

Quote:
You sound like someone who only shops at the Wal-Mart Supercenters and never ever would shop at a place like Uptown Cottage. Just saying. And please just at least say one good thing about downtown Fargo-Moorhead. Maybe on a thread entitled "Fargo-Moorhead developments information" you could say some good things about the area. It's a great place to live and work in, not to mention visit. Please, say some good comments about the Fargo-Moorhead area. And yes, we are a little larger then Sioux Falls.
You know I wish they did have alot of progress being made in Downtown Fargo, I wish it was vibrant. I live near downtown and believe me I try to avoid it as much as possible because it just has nothing to offer as opposed to West Acres or the 13th avenue corridor past 32nd. It seems like even the strip-mall at 13th avenue and 25th street is only half occupied also that just goes to show how this city is moving west, away from downtown.

I think the corridor between NP and 4th along Broadway Ave has potential, they have two martini bars (I dont go to them, too expensive for me) and several other taverns also that can be kinda fun on Friday and Saturday nights when college is in session in the Fall and Spring. Anything outside of Broadway ave area downtown is parking lots and "for lease" signs though.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 9:24 PM
still here

Quote:
You know I wish they did have alot of progress being made in Downtown Fargo, I wish it was vibrant. I live near downtown and believe me I try to avoid it as much as possible because it just has nothing to offer as opposed to West Acres or the 13th avenue corridor past 32nd. It seems like even the strip-mall at 13th avenue and 25th street is only half occupied also that just goes to show how this city is moving west, away from downtown.

I think the corridor between NP and 4th along Broadway Ave has potential, they have two martini bars (I dont go to them, too expensive for me) and several other taverns also that can be kinda fun on Friday and Saturday nights when college is in session in the Fall and Spring. Anything outside of Broadway ave area downtown is parking lots and "for lease" signs though.
Hi, if you do not like downtown Fargo because it's "not vibrant" why do you live near downtown. Move closer to West Acres if you LOVE it so much. Downtowns are supposed to have more government buildings, banks, museums, etc. as NanoBison said. Downtowns are supposed to have some busisness and for Fargo's population (and Fargo's population alone) of 102,254 it has just what it needs if not more.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Hi, if you do not like downtown Fargo because it's "not vibrant" why do you live near downtown. Move closer to West Acres if you LOVE it so much. Downtowns are supposed to have more government buildings, banks, museums, etc. as NanoBison said. Downtowns are supposed to have some busisness and for Fargo's population (and Fargo's population alone) of 102,254 it has just what it needs if not more.
A good solution to downtown lack of vibrancy issue is for an Applebee's, Paradiso or Buffalo Wild wings to move in, each of those restaurants in the surbubs have more people in the evening shopping/eating then the whole downtown area of Fargo have shopping/eating.

The plains art museum is more a wedding hall masquerading as a museum, they have a good cafe though.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 10:14 PM
still here

Actually, an Applebee's and a Starbuck's is going into downtown Moorhead as part of their new downtown plan. I think it is pretty cool.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 10:29 PM

These places (Starbucks and Applebees) cant come soon enough because the lack of vibrancy is amazing here with the excpetion of a few hours on Friday and Saturday nights when colleges are in session.

I was just reading these posts on all these high-rises that another forumer is talking about, these ideas come up all the time. Its funny because they cant even keep the roads in good shape or sidwalks clean downtown of course the west side is has first-rate roads and is extremely clean!

I moved here in 2004 and most (even tiny) projects they attempt to build here (on the east side north of I-94) requires tons of TIF financing because not even the devolopers in my opinion have much faith on the east side of this city with-out the city issuing massive subsidies which have caused a property tax crisis.

Besides, what is the last time worker built a 10 story plus building downtown by the looks of it probubly decades ago.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 11:26 PM

There has not been another building 10 storeys or above built since the 19 storey radisson was built back in 1989 (I think that was the year). We've built several tall structures like the Multiband Tower, but that is only 7 floors. The CityScapes proposal was to be an 11 storey tower. But that had problems from the get go.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 11:37 PM

By the way, I just drove past the Old Kmart building on 13th. It has a Roer's Semi in front of it, two large trash dumpsters, a payloader, etc... It looks like they've begun working on that building, or are at least getting ready to do so.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 1:53 AM
Honored Member

here's my 1/50th of a dollar: (I was at work all day. )

I think downtown Fargo compared to other cities of its general size, like Green Bay, Cedar Rapids, Lincoln, Sioux Falls, etc. is doing just FINE. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's doing BETTER than most JUST YET, but with a little more work, it can definitely become that way. I think though that it's absolutely crazy to think that downtown Fargo is doing worse off than other comparable cities. And even Grand Forks?? Midwesterner, have you ever even been to downtown Grand Forks?? There's no comparison whatsoever. Downtown GF is PATHETIC. There's no one there!! There's no pedestrian activity, there's TONS of empty storefronts, and lots of office vacancies. I believe that Downtown Fargo is a little more of a historic, yet upscale version of downtown Sioux Falls. I think as city, we're very comparable with our peers in most categories. Some categories we're a little behind (like homeownership and mean income), and in some categories we're ahead (like the labour force and economy). This relationship we have with our peer cities of being very comparable and competitive should not be mistaken with "Falling behind the Joneses". As places like SF and Cedar Rapids improve, so does F-M improve. We already have some of the right people in place in our city government to make downtown an even better place than it is now. Let's just see what happens in the future. Change does not happen overnight. It happens over years and years. I mean, look at downtown 5-6 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 3:57 AM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison
By the way, I just drove past the Old Kmart building on 13th. It has a Roer's Semi in front of it, two large trash dumpsters, a payloader, etc... It looks like they've begun working on that building, or are at least getting ready to do so.
Yah, on the doors of the building it says that the Burlington Coat Factory is coming soon. That's exciting!!!!!!!!!! Also in front of the Lowes they are building something else. It kind of looks like another restaurant. If it the Convention and Visitors Beauro will have to update again.

Last edited by F-Misthebest; Aug 19, 2006 at 6:40 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy
here's my 1/50th of a dollar: (I was at work all day. )

I think downtown Fargo compared to other cities of its general size, like Green Bay, Cedar Rapids, Lincoln, Sioux Falls, etc. is doing just FINE. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's doing BETTER than most JUST YET, but with a little more work, it can definitely become that way. I think though that it's absolutely crazy to think that downtown Fargo is doing worse off than other comparable cities. And even Grand Forks?? Midwesterner, have you ever even been to downtown Grand Forks?? There's no comparison whatsoever. Downtown GF is PATHETIC. There's no one there!! There's no pedestrian activity, there's TONS of empty storefronts, and lots of office vacancies. I believe that Downtown Fargo is a little more of a historic, yet upscale version of downtown Sioux Falls. I think as city, we're very comparable with our peers in most categories. Some categories we're a little behind (like homeownership and mean income), and in some categories we're ahead (like the labour force and economy). This relationship we have with our peer cities of being very comparable and competitive should not be mistaken with "Falling behind the Joneses". As places like SF and Cedar Rapids improve, so does F-M improve. We already have some of the right people in place in our city government to make downtown an even better place than it is now. Let's just see what happens in the future. Change does not happen overnight. It happens over years and years. I mean, look at downtown 5-6 years ago.
Why arent you more postivie on Grand Forks, they have alot to offer with a 13,000 student university in a city of around 50,000 people. College students make up 25% of the people, thats a big college town and have read their paper they seem to have alot of good plans.

I think that was a very accurate way of portraying the current condition of Fargo that you just talked about

I dont think Fargo "Is Falling behind the Joneses" its got a strong economy with an unemployment rate of about 3 percent vs. the national average of about 5 percent. Wages are lower here then other mid-western cities of comperable size though and the cost of living by midwestern standards of cities of comperable size is about average.

You and I both agree downtown Fargo is about on the same level as peer cities. I would say the majority of neighborhoods in Fargo though lag-behind a majority of places of similar size as far as being clean and well-set up. I would rate Fargo as having very attractive suburbs though.

Last edited by Midwesterner19; Jun 2, 2006 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 6:00 AM
Honored Member

Some more vision for downtown...

Sharing visions for downtown
By Joe Whetham, The Forum
Published Friday, June 02, 2006

Fargo-Moorhead officials, business owners and community members met Thursday night to discuss their visions for each city’s downtown, including what they want in the next five years.

The Metropolitan Council of Governments hosted the first of at least three public meetings to evaluate its F-M downtown framework plan.

MetroCOG developed separate downtown plans for Fargo and Moorhead in 2000, although officials have essentially treated them as one, said Dave Anderson, president of the Downtown Community Partnership.

Several projects outlined in the plan have been completed or nearly finished in the past six years, notably the Main Avenue bridge, the North Dakota State University architecture building and the Fargo-Moorhead quiet zone.

MetroCOG, which hired Short Elliott Hendrickson Inc. – a Minneapolis-based urban design consulting firm – for the project, began the first step of updating the plan in April.

A draft is expected in August, and a final version will be headed to city leaders and downtown communities in November, Anderson said.

The purpose of Thursday’s meeting was to evaluate the plan, spur ideas for new projects and outline challenges for each city.

“The idea from the very start was to put our heads together,” Anderson said.

Those who attended were split into five teams of six to 10 people. Each team answered questions drafted by consultants, including “What’s changed in the past five years?” and “What do you want to see in the next five years?”

Ideas included:

- Building a town square at the US Bank plaza and a performing arts center in Fargo.

- Consolidating the two sets of train tracks.

- Developing riverfront property and creating better communications between Fargo and Moorhead.

- Developing the empty space along the east side of Broadway in Fargo.

- Improving flood control by erecting a permanent dike in Fargo, which could be integrated into housing developments.

- Providing more parking in the Fargo and Moorhead downtowns.

Randy Thorson, owner of Old Broadway in downtown Fargo, said the first priority in developing downtowns should be parking.

“I think all the ideas and thoughts they had were good,” Thorson said. “But parking should be the first priority, and everything else will follow.”

Not having sufficient parking will slow down the development of downtowns, he said.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2006, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Why arent you more postivie on Grand Forks, they have alot to offer with a 13,000 student university in a city of around 50,000 people. College students make up 25% of the people, thats a big college town and have read their paper they seem to have alot of good plans.
Would that be why their students head down here once they graduate? Becuase Grand Forks has so much to offer?

I think I've figured out what you've declared as a "Big College City". You need a high ratio of students to the general population. I don't think students enjoy towns like that. They're only there for the school. Then they get out of Dodge when their done. I'd say the Fargo-Moorhead area is, by far, more of a college town than Grand Forks. You don't need to have a HIGH RATIO of students. You just need A LARGE NUMBER of them. We've got somewhere around 25,000. Grand Forks, has about 13,000. We've also got more than three times the population of the Grand Forks metro area. The Grand Forks metro is losing population at an alarming rate. We all thought it was going to stop a few years after the flood. It's nearly a decade later and the problem is still there. They lost another 1,500 over the last 5 years.

Everything in terms of success to you appears to be in the form of a ratio. In your case, Grand Forks is more of a college town than Fargo Moorhead. More than the MSP area. More than Boston. It just seems that your perfect college town would have a population of 1000 people and 25,000 students. In that case, as Grand Forks continues to decline in population, that ratio will only get better. So according to your definition, Grand Forks is doing great!

Now I see how you are thinking....

Grand Forks is a welfare city and UND is a welfare campus. They ironically built the Alerus Center after everything else was covered by FEMA funds. Now UND just received $18,000,000 for a parking ramp??? The only reason, from your thinking that Grand Forks has alot to offer, is becuase everyone else is paying for it...

Kind of like the West Fargo - Fargo situation... but I won't go into that again...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest