HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:56 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Is Cap Hill still Denver's best urban neighborhood?

Urbanistically speaking, in terms of day-to-day walkability (not nightlife), is Cap Hill still Denver's best neighborhood? Excluding the immediate downtown skyscraper core.

Or has the torch passed to LoDo/CPV? Or Cherry Creek North? I assume 5 Points, Lincoln Park, Baker, Highlands, Uptown, etc are still behind, but maybe not. It's now been 8 years since I was in Denver, and a lot has changed.

Yes I am asking the same question as in this thread.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:35 PM
Landbarge Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Urbanistically speaking, in terms of day-to-day walkability (not nightlife), is Cap Hill still Denver's best neighborhood? Excluding the immediate downtown skyscraper core.

Or has the torch passed to LoDo/CPV? Or Cherry Creek North? I assume 5 Points, Lincoln Park, Baker, Highlands, Uptown, etc are still behind, but maybe not. It's now been 8 years since I was in Denver, and a lot has changed.

Yes I am asking the same question as in this thread.
Now that there are two grocery stores in the CPV, I would vote for the CPV/everything between LoHi and LoDo - it has better access to transit, more restaurant and shopping options, and a general pedestrian experience that is much better.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 10:12 PM

I definitely don't see Cap Hill as Denver's best urban neighborhood. Maybe 10-20 years ago before the urban Renaissance swept across the city, when it was the best Denver had to offer. However, things are now much different.

I have lived here three years, and have observed dramatic changes just in that short time frame.
1.) The Union Station neighborhood is now almost built out with two full grocery stores, instant transit access to the entire metro area, and close access to the river and trails. Not to mention the numerous bars/restaurants that have opened.
2.) Central Platte has continued to refine itself as an extension of the LoDo area where new office space is sprouting up, along with a handful of new bars.
3.) Highlands continues to add new housing, restaurants, and bars. I live in Jefferson Park, which up until a few years ago, was not a favorable place to live.
4.) With the A line 38th and Blake station and Brighton redone, RiNo is the neighborhood I have witnessed change the most. Numerous residential projects going in, tons of great bars and restaurants, along with existing places.

No offense to Cap Hill, but it really isn't changing much compared to what I have listed above. It doesn't have close access to mass transit like you get with LoDo, RiNo, and even the Highlands. Further, there aren't many large-scale projects in the books for this area as well. Whereas we have heard about ambitious plans in the Elitch's area, along with the parking lots around Mile High and across from Coors Field.

I remember before I moved to Denver, someone telling me about how awesome Cap Hill was. My impression though when I first drove down Colfax was underwhelming. I am sure if Colfax is redone to incorporate BRT and mulit-modal transit, we may see a sway towards more development. But for now, other neighborhoods have the momentum behind them......

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiferous View Post
Now that there are two grocery stores in the CPV, I would vote for the CPV/everything between LoHi and LoDo - it has better access to transit, more restaurant and shopping options, and a general pedestrian experience that is much better.
I agree with this. Although I think Cap Hill has a more diverse group of residents (in terms of age and income) due to the presence of older, less expensive rentals, which makes it a more interesting neighborhood to me. But that's not what you asked for.

Also--as someone so interested in Denver, why not come out for a long weekend? You can get a sub-200$ flight on Frontier out of DCA pretty easily.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:10 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I agree with this. Although I think Cap Hill has a more diverse group of residents (in terms of age and income) due to the presence of older, less expensive rentals, whicuh makes it a more interesting neighborhood to me. But that's not what you asked for.

Also--as someone so interested in Denver, why not come out for a long weekend? You can get a sub-200$ flight on Frontier out of DCA pretty easily.
I think Cirrus wears his “haven’t been to Denver in a decade” as a badge of honor.

Or maybe he’s just waiting for Boulder to host a Pac 12 Championship Game. Yes, it must be that.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 5:54 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I think Cirrus wears his “haven’t been to Denver in a decade” as a badge of honor.
Nah. I'll be happy to tell you. It's all of these factors together:

1. Most of my previous trips to Denver were for family events that now happen in Florida instead (in fact I'm going to Florida next month on a trip that would surely have been Colorado a decade ago).

2. I have a wife and kid now, so flying somewhere generally requires 3 tickets instead of one.

3. I can fly to Europe for roughly the same cost as flying to Denver*, and, uh, I'd rather vacation in Paris. (Although I will admit that I didn't know Frontier tickets were that cheap; I can't get to Europe for that little.)

At this point in my life, absent a grandparent funeral, general curiosity is just about the only reason for me to go to Denver, and that's not enough unless I lucked into a super cheap flight deal. Someday my kid will be old enough to remember the trip, and we'll take a family pilgrimage car trip, but that's years away still.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
2. I have a wife and kid now, so flying somewhere generally requires 3 tickets instead of one.
Curious minds want to know. Can I assume you're not talking about a puppy dog? What is 'it'?

Perhaps an opportunity will come along where you could put a Denver trip on the 'company' tab?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West