HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 6:26 AM
of Gnomeregan

if I could invent a new curse I would

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 1:36 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
^As I head to bed after typing for the past three hours, I only have two things to say: Dammit acw007, why did you have go there with Eeyore?

and

Eeyore, Jesus titty f**ckin' Christ.
This thread is definitely FTW! I agree with you, wong... acw007, why the hell did you have to go there with Eeyore? Hahahaha

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 7:44 PM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Over zombies? Maybe amongst the tween crowd who are beginning to meddle with sexual fantasies. Kind of like Justin Beiber being "in" for pop music.

Zombies and the zombie apocalypse are the current trend.
And it's all so fucking stupid. At least zombies have gotten more badass, whereas vampires have had an almost complete and total regression.

Ever see that one episode of Bob's Burgers where the oldest daughter has that messed up dream with the zombies? Haha.

Also, Chingy fuckin blows. This is good:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 19, 2011, 11:06 PM
Arachnid Wrangler

I’m a tad ashamed of Eeyore’s mess but I had to know. Anywho has anyone been to Jax Fish House? They bought one of my favorite restaurants to open a location here and I was pretty bummed. Is this place good?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 12:05 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acw007 View Post
I’m a tad ashamed of Eeyore’s mess but I had to know. Anywho has anyone been to Jax Fish House? They bought one of my favorite restaurants to open a location here and I was pretty bummed. Is this place good?
Yeah, I've had good meals at Jax the few times I ate there! Similar to a McCormick and Schmick's...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 5:53 AM

My furry friend decided to make another appearance tonight.

When I was taking the dog out, I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye. This - urban - fox was sitting, calmly, like a statue and staring at us. There was nothing sinister in his gaze. He just looked curious. I was curious, too, so I grabbed my trusty camera and decided to observe the observer. When I got everything together, he had already climbed down to the fence where I could barely make him out. Luckily, in my graceless attempts at being discreet, he decided to jump down to the driveway below. There wasn't a trace of fear as he stared at me snapping photo after photo. Before I knew it, he was gone.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:07 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

I'll just leave this here. Fast-forward to 1:02.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 8:53 AM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
My furry friend decided to make another appearance tonight.

When I was taking the dog out, I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye. This - urban - fox was sitting, calmly, like a statue and staring at us. There was nothing sinister in his gaze. He just looked curious. I was curious, too, so I grabbed my trusty camera and decided to observe the observer. When I got everything together, he had already climbed down to the fence where I could barely make him out. Luckily, in my graceless attempts at being discreet, he decided to jump down to the driveway below. There wasn't a trace of fear as he stared at me snapping photo after photo. Before I knew it, he was gone.
I've seen a few urban foxes (ok not going in to the pun on that one...) around town, but, they've been off of Speer, around Auraria (seen that one a few times), the one off of Federal and 44th (a few times as well) and then one off Detroit and 14th (just once).

Wonder if it's the same one.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 2:53 PM

We must have a lot more foxes in and around downtown than I thought. I figured that they would stick to the suburbs where the bunnies live. I don't mean to turn this into a nature thread, but the fox keeps hanging around. I snapped these this morning.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 3:44 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Nice. Love it. Reminds me of that BBC story a few months back about the fox they found hanging out on the 72nd floor of the under construction London Spire, eating leftover lunch scraps and whatnot.

Downtown and the inner city neighborhoods are definitely fox country. You get out into the "suburbs" and the predators get much larger. I've got a drainageway outside my place in southwest Denver. It's only a couple hundred feet wide, but apparently that's big enough to support a rather large pack of mini-wolves. These damn things bark and howl and yip and are generally quite loud at all hours of the day and night. But entertaining! I imagine that places like Stapleton (my drainageway isn't any wider than that Westerly Creek greenway, and certainly not as big as Sand Creek) will also have good sized coyote packs soon, if they don't already.

These are off my balcony (blurry due to poor/quick resizing effort, sorry).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 4:45 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Beautiful animals.

I had a fox living near me when I lived in the Mayfair neighborhood, and once when I was visiting someone near Washington Park, as I was getting out of my car, three baby foxes crawled out of the storm gutter and sat on the tree lawn. I watched them for a few minutes, and when a car finally came to that intersection, they scampered back down into the drain. Otherwise, they seemed pretty relaxed and curious about the urban life around them.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:02 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

You know what's awesome? Being told that your afternoon task at work is to head to the Rockies game and sit behind the dugout drinking beer.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:13 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Has mankind ever attempted to domesticate the fox?

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:16 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Has mankind ever attempted to domesticate the fox?
Yes! That was the cover story of last month's National Geographic! (cover photo: fox, title: Designing the Perfect Pet)

article: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...s/ratliff-text

It's a super interesting article. How within a few generations the foxes start to take on traits that are familiar to us from dogs, but completely unknown in wild foxes (like wagging tails). Apparently it's a genetic response to please humans, or something like that if I remember correctly.

And if you wanted to buy one from the group in Siberia that's doing it: http://www.sibfox.com/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:35 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Thanks, bunt. Wow, I had no idea!

Hey Dirt, why not welcome that fox of yours into your home and see if he'll stick around as the family pet?

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:49 PM

Lol! According to the wikipedia page on foxes, the domesticated foxes lose their distinctive musk. I assume that my friend is a bit stinky.

Brent, those are awesome photos! Did these wolves come down from the mountain area where they were reintroduced a few years back? I didn't realize that they were actually thriving.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:55 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Haha, they're coyotes. They are just very big city-coyotes. Not those little scrawny things you see out on the prairie. I'm told by my brother (who's studying wildlife/natural resources) that traditionally coyotes were diurnal and mostly solitary. It's a fairly new (probably human/city-induced) response that they are forming packs and becoming more nocturnal. They are doing some evening presentations at REI on the urban coyotes. I've been meaning to go to one, just have to find the right time.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 6:58 PM

Damn, I couldn't tell the difference. It must be big from the winter coat, as well.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q
Haha, they're coyotes. They are just very big city-coyotes. Not those little scrawny things you see out on the prairie. I'm told by my brother (who's studying wildlife/natural resources) that traditionally coyotes were diurnal and mostly solitary. It's a fairly new (probably human/city-induced) response that they are forming packs and becoming more nocturnal. They are doing some evening presentations at REI on the urban coyotes. I've been meaning to go to one, just have to find the right time.
There are plenty of them down in SW Denver as well. In my brother's neighborhood people have to watch their pets closely due to the prevalence of coyotes. Alot of vanishing cats in particular. I witnessed one about the size of a small German Shepherd hanging out in his backyard garden.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 9:38 PM
cities|transit|croissants

That penguin video is a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e. It's been around facebook a few days, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West