HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
Why would that be due to a lack of trains? The P3 contract specified a travel time between Waterfront and YVR so they are running slower to match the travel time once the future stations are added.
I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the Canada didn't have enough trains for a complete circuit at 45kph average.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
These new trains will be the same model that was delivered in 2009 as part of the system’s initial fleet, but there will be a handful of upgrades to the passenger experience. This includes a more powerful air conditioning system and retractable seating areas at both ends of the train to increase standing capacity during the busy peak periods.
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/new-c...ns-design-2020

Looks like we're getting some nice things for the Canada Line.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:45 AM

Even better: http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canad...ons-escalators

Quote:
More escalators to be installed at every Canada Line station in downtown Vancouver

Not only is TransLink ordering a dozen additional two-car car trains for the Canada Line, it is also providing the busy stations in downtown Vancouver with an accessibility upgrade.

TransLink spokesperson Jill Drews told Daily Hive that the upgrades include new escalators at Waterfront Station, Vancouver City Centre Station, and Yaletown-Roundhouse Station.

Construction is anticipated to start in early-2019.

She was unable to specify the exact locations of the new, additional escalators, which will provide much-needed vertical foot traffic circulation capacity within the stations. More details about all of the station upgrades will be announced at a later time.
Now, how long until demand fully induces and Waterfront & City Centre are packed again?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:03 AM

Good news, but Van City Centre still needs an entirely new south entrance to Robson Street to really improve passenger flow.

Still boggles my mind it wasn’t originally built with one.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:25 AM

So 3 new down escalators.

I hope Translink adds 2 down escalators at Granville station to go from Inbout to Outbound.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Good news, but Van City Centre still needs an entirely new south entrance to Robson Street to really improve passenger flow.

Still boggles my mind it wasn’t originally built with one.
I agree. The two major entrances should be at Georgia and Robson and if possible, having a connection to Robson Square.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:42 AM

I am seriously hoping that TransLink contracts a research organization that can simulate passenger flow in accordance to growth when planning new stations and upgrades to existing ones.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
I agree. The two major entrances should be at Georgia and Robson and if possible, having a connection to Robson Square.
Both these places can easily be reached now via Pacific Centre completely covered. It's really an extra couple minutes walk, so it's highly unlikely we will ever see new entrances built in our lifetime.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothediu View Post
Both these places can easily be reached now via Pacific Centre completely covered. It's really an extra couple minutes walk, so it's highly unlikely we will ever see new entrances built in our lifetime.
Kind of missed the point, it has far less to do with reaching Robson Square while remaining covered than relieving the overcrowding and pinch point issues accessing VCC station.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Kind of missed the point, it has far less to do with reaching Robson Square while remaining covered than relieving the overcrowding and pinch point issues accessing VCC station.
Yeah, Pacific Centre isn't available during the entire operating hours of the Canada Line.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, Pacific Centre isn't available during the entire operating hours of the Canada Line.
They could do something akin to several stations in Paris, such as Nation; it's$$$$$ messy and I could never imagine them doing it, but anyway...
In mid platform, an escalator goes DOWN to a tunnel that takes one under the southbound track of Canada Line, and comes up the Robson / Howe side of PC.
Other big cities have such, but we'll never see it, I rather think.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
They could do something akin to several stations in Paris, such as Nation; it's$$$$$ messy and I could never imagine them doing it, but anyway...
In mid platform, an escalator goes DOWN to a tunnel that takes one under the southbound track of Canada Line, and comes up the Robson / Howe side of PC.
Other big cities have such, but we'll never see it, I rather think.
Perhaps they could do that with a connection between Granville and Vancouver City Centre, complete with a moving sidewalk. Perhaps they could see about installing a pair of moving sidewalks in the walkway to the SeaBus and the tunnel to the Waterfront Canada line station.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Perhaps they could do that with a connection between Granville and Vancouver City Centre, complete with a moving sidewalk. Perhaps they could see about installing a pair of moving sidewalks in the walkway to the SeaBus and the tunnel to the Waterfront Canada line station.

there already is a connection - through the bay, the food court, and pacific centre

outside business hours is it really so difficult to walk half a block between Granville (expo line) and van city (canada line)?

the perils of living in the first world ... you might have to use an umbrella

or you can stay on the expo train to waterfront if you want the seabus or canada line

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:37 AM

Not sure where to put this. For the transit geek who has everything: if you want to live in the powerhouse originally built for BC Electric's interurban system up the Valley, now is your chance:

http://www.richmond-news.com/would-y...tos-1.23365084

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:56 AM
SkyTrain Nut

I remember snoopping around the Sumas substation when it was still mostly boarded up. Words cannot describe how ugly it looks now that it has been "lavishly" renovated.

Image courtesy of Strawhomes.com

Also the peicetag is five and a half million dollars. For that much money could you of at least had your service pole somewhere better than next to the door?

Last edited by MIPS; Jul 13, 2018 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
there already is a connection - through the bay, the food court, and pacific centre

outside business hours is it really so difficult to walk half a block between Granville (expo line) and van city (canada line)?

or you can stay on the expo train to waterfront if you want the seabus or canada line
Night time in winter though...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Night time in winter though...
Yeah, wasn't it in the plans to have a direct connection to Granville Station?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 5:10 AM

Card skimmers found at 2 Canada Line stations, transit police warn

Customers who used debit and credit cards on Sunday, July 8 asked to check with their banks

CBC News · Posted: Jul 12, 2018

Metro Vancouver Transit Police are investigating after debit- and credit-card skimmers were found at two Canada Line stations.

Investigators say the skimmers were located on Compass Card vending machines at the Vancouver International Airport and Vancouver City Centre stations.

The skimmers were found on Sunday, July 8. Police have determined the device at the airport wasn't there before Sunday but it's unclear when the one at Vancouver City Centre was placed on the vending machine.

Investigators say the skimmers are undergoing forensic analysis. So far, it's unclear whether or not data from customers' cards was stolen.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...warn-1.4743637

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, wasn't it in the plans to have a direct connection to Granville Station?
Not quite.

Originally there were proposed to be 2 stations (before the bidding stage) -
at Dunsmuir and at Nelson. The Dunsmuir station would have connected to Granville Station.

Instead, for the RFP stage, they were combined into 1 station at Robson.
The Robson station was then moved to Georgia to better connect to West Vancouver buses.
Robson Station was never intended to connect to Granville Station.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I remember snoopping around the Sumas substation when it was still mostly boarded up. Words cannot describe how ugly it looks now that it has been "lavishly" renovated.

Image courtesy of Strawhomes.com

Also the peicetag is five and a half million dollars. For that much money could you of at least had your service pole somewhere better than next to the door?

That Picture doesn't show the road next to the house and train track in the front yard. LOL
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.01697...7i13312!8i6656

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure