HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
no way jose.

they cook the chicken, steak and pork right there on a grill, where you can see it. They chop it up with knives, right there on the counter, in front of people. Then they put it in the stainless tray and it goes on the steam table.

I have, while in line, watched the dude make the rice. It's, like, rice, with some veggies in it. Dude puts some salt and pepper in it, a leafy herb and then squeezes a couple of limes in it. That's it.

I garauntee it, they make their own salsa and gucamole there, pretty much the way you would.

And, you can have as much, or as little rice as you want. Or no beans. Whatever you want. They make the danged thing right in front of you.

It is miles and miles away from McDonalds. Its not authentic Mexican food either, but I dont think it ever claimed to be.

And just to prove Im not getting too far OT, they are also willing to go into and rehab existing buildings for their spaces. Im thinking specifically of the location at Lake and Franklin which is an an historic/over 100 year old building, and they fit right in. There are others. I seriously doubt a MCD or Wendys or whatever else would go to all the trouble and expense, not to mention deal with the non-custom floorplan. Furthermore, they mix up their designs for each location; they all have the similar industrial theme, sure, but they're all a little different and feature local artwork and at least look like someone gave a partial damn while designing it.
McDonald's was a majority stakeholder in Chipotle during their rapid expansion.....that's why he said "literally." I disagree with your statement highlighted in bold, because McDonalds provided a surge of investment to build out these spaces. The finishes, fixtures, equipment, and furniture they use are also standardized, so dealing with an unusual floorplan is really using more or less of these items, not a total re-design. However, it's likely the ideas behind the restaurant designs and food preparation were from Chipotle's upper management....that of which I agree with you. And while most of Chipotle locations aren't franchised, they are ubiquitous.....nearly as much so as McDonald's in what I'll call Chicago's "central city area."

Whether their food is good or not (I personally like Chipotle) is for a separate debate. This is about the poor design delivered by the developer, not the tenant.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
And while most of Chipotle locations aren't franchised, they are ubiquitous.....nearly as much so as McDonald's in what I'll call Chicago's "central city area."
This I do agree with. Unforunately the Loop has more or less turned into a mall food court over the past 15 years. Same could be said of Corner Bakery, Jimmy Johns, Jamba Juice, Dunkin Doughnuts, etc. Threres one on every god damn block.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 12:28 AM
TL;DR

Surprisingly, Panera and Noodles have not expanded like crazy downtown. I think there's only one of each.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ To compare North Avenue collection to a strip shopping center with acres of surface parking and to imply that one is not an improvement over the other just really baffles me.

Yes, they both have a lot of parking, and yes they both will encourage automobile traffic. But if you cannot recognize that, from the standpoint of urban design, one is not vastly superior to the other, then I guess we have nothing to discuss. Some of you here are FAR too purist in your urbanism: you HAVE to have some parking in a big box shopping district, but if you're going to do it then at least go vertical. The large surface parking lot is really what offends the pedestrian environment the most.
If North Avenue Collection plugged a gap in an otherwise dense streetscape, it wouldn't be (as much of) a problem. But that's not the case. It was built in an area where there was already more than enough surface and garage parking, strengthening (rather than chipping away at) the neighborhood's auto-centric character.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 12:47 AM

Sales office at the end of upper E Wacker - no more.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 1:35 AM

501 N Clark

The old bland brick building has been transformed into a geometric composition of rectangular hole with complementary pile of rubble. The old sheet pile fits nicely with the facade across the street.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
The old bland brick building has been transformed into a geometric composition of rectangular hole with complementary pile of rubble. The old sheet pile fits nicely with the facade across the street.

Oh wow, I never noticed that disaster across the street. The bank probably blocked the sightline enough.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 1:49 AM

Burberry

Oct 25

Oct 28

A worker on the site told me they were going to use "spread footings" for the foundation. Looked like they were still digging out sand when they stopped.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 2:05 AM

462 E Ontario ??

Well it's Not a prefab in a surface lot anymore (was a MRI clinic)

Impressive ceiling for a garage.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 3:16 AM
The City

There seems to be some construction going on at the NW corner of Peterson and Richmond.

Anybody know what's going up?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 3:18 AM
The City

Quote:
Well it's Not a prefab in a surface lot anymore (was a MRI clinic)
^ What project is this?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 4:55 AM

Quote:
The old sheet pile fits nicely with the facade across the street.
Great pun.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 5:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
There seems to be some construction going on at the NW corner of Peterson and Richmond.

Anybody know what's going up?
http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...189334742.html

http://www.firstfcu.org/new-branch/#new

It's essentially another branch bank...just what we need. I am so sick of development style in WR and RP . This is just west of where I grew up and my parents still live in the area closer to western.....

I have not seen a render but i'd bet 10,000 that it is autocentric crap.

OT...but the lots on western near peterson...the old CJ ames and ZFrank lots on both sides of western could be developed into nice density near transit.....but I doubt it will happen we'll probably see craptastic shit like the new Walgreens at Granville and Western....

The part of western looks like the west side right now.. I get that there has been a systemic shock to the part of western given the the car dealerships moving after some 75 years or whatever of being there so adjustment takes some time.....

but this is a once in a 2 or 3 generation moment that could change the character of that part of WR for the better but the soporific leadership of O'Connor abd Silverstein (formerly Stone) will almost assure a worst case outcome......

...ahhh the future of my old neighborhood is I think dire.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Surprisingly, Panera and Noodles have not expanded like crazy downtown. I think there's only one of each.
Only 1 noodles downtown, but 4 Paneras. Panera and Corner Bakery seem to distribute evenly downtown, and there's probably a greater demand for even more. You pretty much have to order in advance at the Corner Bakery at 360 North Michigan. In the weekday mornings, the line goes nearly out the door.

The only new chain I anticipate entering the Chicago market soon is ShopHouse, which is having its pilot run in DC.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 5:38 AM

^ I was just thinking the other day with the bright yellow trees on Michigan Ave how striking that will look when they return out front of that sleek black facade. It should be quite the sight.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Sales office at the end of upper E Wacker - no more.
End of an era as LSE is reaching maturity. I wonder what kind of streetscaping will be put there.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Love the mixer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 8:36 AM

A Yo article from yesterday quotes Crain's as having an Oct. 30 story behind its paywall reporting the following:

Quote:
Major development plan for site north of McCormick Place
by Joe Zekas on 10/30/11

An Arizona developer aims to jump-start a massive hotel, retail and entertainment project next to McCormick Place and turn the nearby Motor Row area into a nightlife hot spot.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 12:37 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
^ What project is this?
Northwestern's newest garage....

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 2:07 PM

Is there a proposed completion date for Burberry?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development