HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 10:17 PM

This is good news! With the original news and statements, they were removing 10 floors, but it looks like they will be adding four floors of office space to partially make up for the 10 floors of lost residential.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 10:19 PM

So when can the continue working on this?!?!?!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 10:20 PM

Does anyone know what's happening with the office space that was already leased? Is there news if any of those companies (like Stoel Rives, who was relocating from The Standard building) are still planning on moving in? If not, I wonder if some of them are going to move into First and Main instead.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 11:03 PM

Will it still be taller than Fox Tower?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 11:22 PM

^^^ Yes, by about 75 feet.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 11:44 PM
shozbot!

According to the proposal, it will only drop from 515 ft, to 450 ft, ...... which isn't too bad! It sure does look a lot like the original design. This is great news Get 'er done! (didn't see some prior posts on the height>>> too jacked about this good news! ) It'll be right between PacWest(418') and the KOIN tower(509'), so this tower will still give you a stiff neck as you're looking up at it!

It's also got it's sibling, the Fox Tower(372') by 78 ft, so even Moyer from his window will be glancing upward....

Last edited by RoseCtyRoks; Jul 22, 2009 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 1:05 AM

Nice.... Actually I am coming to terms with Portland being a city of 20-30+ floor towers.... a more human(e) scale.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 2:18 AM

Very Nice. Judging from the drawings, the top of the mechanical box still looks to be alittle over 400 ft, with the spire rising around 40 ft. above that. Pretty dog gone cool. Much better than what i thought would happen to the design. It will be a very nice addition to the skyline. NOW, git'er done!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:11 AM

20 more bike stalls and a slightly bigger shower/locker area is a bonus, plus each floor height looks to be increased as well. They are going to be nice offices.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 5:59 AM

While still a bit disappointed, I've now moved on from pissed to relieved. The design still looks top-notch and will be a great addition to the city.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that (someday) whatever is built on the block north of the Galleria will punch above 500 feet.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 7:02 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
A 26-story office building, that would put it in the 370-390' range?
Yeah, I have to say, the redesign still looks good...and from the drawings, it looks like the tower would be 411' which would still be a noticeable slender tower downtown.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 12:41 AM

Comparing building heights to get an idea of the impact on skyline, the mechanical top will be around 409' with the spire rising another 41' above that going off the magnified drawings. The Pac West Building is 418 feet tall so the PAW's top comes in just below. The spire rises to 450' so technically it's taller, but the building itself won't appear taller than Pac West. The height of the last office ceiling will top out at around 366', which brings it close to the total height(372') of the Fox Tower. So it's the mechanical structure that mainly will give it a pressence over Fox. Still very cool and should really stand out from the river towering over the Nordstrom store. Sorry for being so long winded, but i thought giving an idea of the height and it's affect on the skyline would be helpful to some.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 3:08 AM
momentum

is it just me, but why do the east and west look the same, and the north and south look the same? Maybe they could build half the model and just put a mirror to show the whole building. I like the top, and you have to love the Bob Thompson spire shooting up. I am sure it will be nice, but seems overly symmetrical for such a tall building that could do so much more. Then again, the Fox Tower is asymmetrical, and I personally do not care much for the composition of that tower.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 7:22 PM

height

According to the plans submitted, the first two floors will be 41', the next 24 floors are 15' each = 360, and the penthouse 43'. That makes the building
444' not counting the 41' spire. Not bad for Portland but I think the city's long overdue for another building over 500'.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
Does anyone know what's happening with the office space that was already leased? Is there news if any of those companies (like Stoel Rives, who was relocating from The Standard building) are still planning on moving in? If not, I wonder if some of them are going to move into First and Main instead.
From what I've seen and heard, Stoel Rives is still moving in. Though, I don't have an official confirmation.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
According to the plans submitted, the first two floors will be 41', the next 24 floors are 15' each = 360, and the penthouse 43'. That makes the building
444' not counting the 41' spire. Not bad for Portland but I think the city's long overdue for another building over 500'.
Thank you for your time analyzing this. Your math is correct, of course, but where did you find these numbers please? I must be blind or simply not looking in the right area. Are you getting this data from the tiny numbers on the blueprints towards the bottom right of the revised proposal? If true, this would only be a 30 foot reduction in absolute height for PAW from 515' to 485'. So where are they getting the 450' from? Possibly the new height was incorrecty typed on the notice and they did not include the spire? If so it should read 444' not 450'....HMMM a little mystery here?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 2:57 AM

I had to blow up the drawing 400% in order to read the numbers - which were still blurry.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 4:18 AM

Great to hear this will still have a pretty big impact on the skyline! Just can't wait to see something start to rise from that hole in the ground. Just as important is the added vitality this will bring to the adjacent streets -- and hopefully sooner-than-later the 10th and Yamhill garage will be blown into space, and we can have a quality building at the intersection of light rail and the streetcar. There is a proposal to renovate the old Carl Greve jewelers building, too -- one day Morrison will really have the feel of a great retail street when all is said and done.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 4:21 PM

There is quite a slope on the project site, depending on where the 'front door' is you will get a different height for this building.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 4:41 PM

Looks like a fine enough tower. Just hope the "skyscraper envy" thing in Portland doesn't get too strong - there's a lot of places that would kill for the amazing downtown areas you folks have, and I'd hope a quest for "more tall towers lolz" doesn't take priority.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland