HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Wow. That proposal's been dead for at least 3-4 years. Interesting that it'd come out of nowhere. If I do recall, the original proposal for that area was quite an attractive, mid-sized 6 floor building. It'd definitely be some nice in-fill building in the area.
I agree that this location needs to be filled and its a nice design, however being in this area where the highrises will be I think it could be like double the originally proposed height (with the same architecture) and that would be perfect! (plus I dont think hotels would need as much parking, I'm curious to see in what form it's been approved recently.

Also I think that we will see competing developments emerging,such as these office buildings geting built in a rush competing (with each other) for tenents, a similar thing may be happening because of the Hilton proposal and it may have sparked this stale proprosal back to life ... wouldnt be surprised if we see a revised hilton proposal very soon

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 1:50 AM

Wondering if anyones heard of Newfound Mechanical. Im a trades guy and they are looking for journeymen and apprentice plumbers. Wondering if its for work on any of these new projects.

Last edited by ajcoffey; Apr 3, 2012 at 2:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 2:55 AM

I found this website....but to be honest it's a little..er, really sketchy. None the less, it's worth a call to inquire. Even if they're not involved with the downtown developments, they could be involved in other places, such as Kenmount Terrace, which is booming just as quickly as anywhere else in the area

http://newfoundmechanical.tripod.com/index.html

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 3:00 AM

Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 2:01 PM

Steele Hotels Moving Forward With Project

Quote:
Steele Hotels is moving forward with a project in downtown St. John's. The hotel application originally came before council in December 2007 but was put on hold. Steele is looking to build a five storey, 89 room hotel on Water Street next door to the Magic Wok. Council has approved the project, but it must fall in line with new downtown parking standards. The developer is hoping to begin construction this summer
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=22101&latest=1

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:55 PM

Does anybody have any information on St. John's Landing? That building, if placed directly on the waterfront as suggested, could be an absolute landmark in the city. Currently, we really don't have a piece of architecture that is instantly recognized as "Newfoundland." It was designed by the same architect that designed the new MUN residence. Was this ever seriously proposed?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 12:43 AM

The architect's name is John Hearn, you can google his name to find his website with renderings of many ideas, including the landing.

I think the landing, while nicely designed, was only a concept and never a serious proposal. That piece of land is owned by the same company which owns Atlantic Place, and is currently the site of a dead hotel proposal. It's ideal land, it'd be nice to see SOMETHING go there.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnotout View Post
Does anybody have any information on St. John's Landing? That building, if placed directly on the waterfront as suggested, could be an absolute landmark in the city. Currently, we really don't have a piece of architecture that is instantly recognized as "Newfoundland." It was designed by the same architect that designed the new MUN residence. Was this ever seriously proposed?
I have never heard of this until you mentioned it and did some research. Here is a link to it:

http://www.jharchitect.ca/landing1.htm

This would look great down on Water Street. I really hope someone can provide some further information on whether there have been any proposals submitted to the city!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnotout View Post
Currently, we really don't have a piece of architecture that is instantly recognized as "Newfoundland."
I would suggest the Marconi tower on Signal Hill is pretty recognizable. Also, the Rooms are rather iconic.....

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I would suggest the Marconi tower on Signal Hill is pretty recognizable. Also, the Rooms are rather iconic.....
I would much rather the Rooms not one of St. John's iconic buildings When I think St. John's, I think the Marconi House and The Basilica, but no other architecture around town really screams St. John's, besides the row houses.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:10 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

The rows instantly come to mind when I think of St. John's. But the colourful ones like on Gower and Kings, not the beige and grey ones on my street.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The architect's name is John Hearn, you can google his name to find his website with renderings of many ideas, including the landing.

I think the landing, while nicely designed, was only a concept and never a serious proposal. That piece of land is owned by the same company which owns Atlantic Place, and is currently the site of a dead hotel proposal. It's ideal land, it'd be nice to see SOMETHING go there.
I friggin' love the idea of the landing. I would love to see something like that exist there AND, dear I say, containing a small farmers market, amongst other things. I say this because I was at the farmers market in Halifax on the water front last summer. It blew my mind how nice it was and, at least in my mind, how we should use that idea to have a smaller one somehwere along our waterfront.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 11:43 PM

I guess I should clarify. Cabot Tower is instantly recognizable as a Newfoundland landmark, but not necessarily because of unique architecture. I would just like to have a really amazing, unique piece of more modern architecture here in the city. I think with developments like Fortis Place and Job Street, we're headed in the right direction for sure.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 10:51 AM

Looks like the Majestic Theatre is turning over yet another new leaf.

Pentecostal Assemblies buy The Majestic
Source: The Telegram, April 4 2012:

Quote:
It will be the end of an era in St. John’s next month, when The Majestic closes its doors for good.
The live theatre, which has seen numerous revivals over the past decade, has been sold to the Pentecostal Assemblies of Newfoundland for $1,050,000, The Telegram has learned.
Since the paperwork is still being done, the organization declined to say how it will use the building, but there’s speculation it will be turned into a soup kitchen. “I can confirm that yes, we have bought it. We don’t have ownership yet; the deal hasn’t been closed,” Pastor Gary Andrews said late Wednesday afternoon.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...The-Majestic/1

I think a soup kitchen is a great idea for downtown St. John's. It's location and size will maximize the help to those less fortunate. The unfortunate side with economic prosperity is that the wealth doesn't get distributed evenly and the gap between rich and poor grows wider. I think the Pentecostal church has taken a great initiative here...

Last edited by statbass; Apr 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:41 PM

Re: St. John's Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I have never heard of this until you mentioned it and did some research. Here is a link to it:

http://www.jharchitect.ca/landing1.htm

This would look great down on Water Street. I really hope someone can provide some further information on whether there have been any proposals submitted to the city!

OMG That is so cool !

Would that ever look great on the corner of Prescott & Water!

JJ

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:59 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I think a soup kitchen is a great idea for downtown St. John's. It's location and size will maximize the help to those less fortunate.
From the people I've seen huddled in it's entrance on New Gower, I kinda thought it was a shelter or soup kitchen of some sort already.

In my year and a half here, I've noticed quite the number of people that could use such a place, so I think this is definitely a good thing.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:12 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Ayreonaut, I don't want to bump the other thread, but I just saw your photos of St. John's that you linked in your signature. Gorgeous shots my friend.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 7:25 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Ayreonaut, I don't want to bump the other thread, but I just saw your photos of St. John's that you linked in your signature. Gorgeous shots my friend.
Thanks. I'll be doing one every year that I'm here. Though I would say that year 2 likely won't be as good as the first. I haven't gotten out nearly as much this year.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 12:55 AM

A big piece of the parking garage is up is at 351.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
A big piece of the parking garage is up is at 351.
Drove past there today: there's about 2-3 floors high of something in one corner of the site, which is visible on water street. Visible progress, finally!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's