HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 5:17 PM
I worship Led Zeppelin

The BC Buds?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
If you want to resurrect another one...
How about Vancouver Mounties?

After the recent embarrassment caused by the short-skirt versions of the mountie uniforms at the Olympic closing ceremonies, how could this be any worse?
That was proposed for the first team and the RCMP rejected it, or, at least opposed it enough to have it changed.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
That was proposed for the first team and the RCMP rejected it, or, at least opposed it enough to have it changed.
They (RCMP) threatened to sue. (thank heavens for that cause Mounties is/was a horrible name for a sports team).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 6:53 PM

I'd support the Vancouver Rain for a name, except that I abhor team names that are singular nouns--like the Magic, Heat, Jazz (although that one is fine).

One of the main reasons many NBA players don't like playing in Canada is having to go through customs a few dozen times a year. It is a well-known open secret that a majority of players in the NBA smoke pot. They don't want the added burden of being caught bringing in into the US.

Vancouver is a basketball town and had we not had the worst general manager--Stu Jackson--in the history of professional sports in North America foisted upon us by David Stern, the Grizzlies may very well still be here. As other posters have mentioned, we never won more than 23 games in a season and still were averaging over 13,000 in the final year, which is better than many NBA times today. In addition, at the time the exchange rate with the US dollar was another noose hanging around our necks.

How different would things have been had the Grizzlies made an effort to draft Steve Nash, or sign him subsequently as a free agent?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 7:14 PM

Here's a name, j/k

Vancouver BC = Vancouver Basketball Club

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 7:36 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Vancouver Reefer Madness

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 7:43 PM

Hey guys. This guy seems pretty serious about what he's doing. He just recently started up his site, and he has some pretty ambitious goals, but I would support him. Who says that one man can't make a difference? This guy's doing it. It's pretty recent, but the more support we can show, that NBA basketball does belong in our beloved town, the better our chances of showing the Aquilini's that there is a market here for pro basketball at a high level of play.

Check out this guy's site. His name is Damir --> www.vancouvernba.org

SPREAD THE WORD!

Last edited by Vancity; Apr 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 7:46 PM

I think bringing the Grizzlies back would be awesome. There would be a sense of justice, but it's true too, that too many people here would remember all the negativity that surrounded that team. But they are already a better team now, than they were when they left. The GM there has got to get the team winning asap. Another 6 years of losing, with NO sense of improvement would be devastating to the community. They need to draft an exciting (Vince Carter) type of player for fans to be at least entertained (even if they lost). The previous Grizz team were neither entertaining, nor did they win very much. That is a deadly combination.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 8:11 PM
A.H.-Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
  • Vancouver Mermen

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 8:38 PM

How Bought the Vancouver VooDoo and there wicked uniforms too LOL not that the Grizzlies uniforms were much better ugh.

Seriously though I would love to see the Grizzlies come back, the name is great just need to improve the uniforms and logos. Besides the Money Aqualinni could make of new uniforms is huge if he gets it right.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 8:47 PM

Someone encourage Aquilini to make a move!!

There were reports a few months ago about Aquilini interested in aquiring the Pacers? Was there any truth to that rumor? I am curious too, whether the Aquilini's have any plans to build the Canucks Sports & Entertainment (like MLSE has done) and incorporate other major league sports teams in the fold? As of right now, they only have the NHL, but they could easily bring in the NBA.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 8:54 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
Here's a name, j/k

Vancouver BC = Vancouver Basketball Club
i love it.

VBC

like TFC except cooler

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 8:55 PM

i got it, the vancouver downpours

Old Posted Apr 1, 2010, 8:59 PM

The Vancouver Lemons!

Sponsored by Lululemon. Think of all of the witty puns the journalists could use.

Lemons squeeze out victory. Lemons turn sour in 4th quarter...

A good pun is one of the most important things when it comes to a sports franchise.

Plus Asian people love lemons.

It would be like the Sapporo Nippon Ham Fighters baseball team that is sponsored by a meat processing plant.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 4:26 AM
Vancouverite

i like SpiritBears!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Hey guys. This guy seems pretty serious about what he's doing. He just recently started up his site, and he has some pretty ambitious goals, but I would support him. Who says that one man can't make a difference? This guy's doing it. It's pretty recent, but the more support we can show, that NBA basketball does belong in our beloved town, the better our chances of showing the Aquilini's that there is a market here for pro basketball at a high level of play.

Check out this guy's site. His name is Damir --> www.vancouvernba.org

SPREAD THE WORD!
Wow! thanks for the info on that great website. Whomever that is has got a real good site and some even better merchandise. This guy could definitely be on to something here. Just look at the guy who produced the vintage Millionaires apparel. They have been hugely successful. This would also go a long way towards spreading the good word about basketball and maybe would get the local sports media to stop ignoring it (like they have been since the Grizz left).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 7:51 AM
Cheers!

Vancouver Rapters. With an e. A Rapter is a type of Zoid, a race of mechanical lifeforms from the fictional Zoids universe.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Wow! thanks for the info on that great website. Whomever that is has got a real good site and some even better merchandise. This guy could definitely be on to something here. Just look at the guy who produced the vintage Millionaires apparel. They have been hugely successful. This would also go a long way towards spreading the good word about basketball and maybe would get the local sports media to stop ignoring it (like they have been since the Grizz left).

Spread the Word!

They have a facebook page too. So make sure you join

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 9:03 AM

^ a rapeter?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 9:18 AM

im trying to think of a really good one, it doesnt have to make sense, I mean look at the BC Lions...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation