HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 2:58 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGrandeOurse View Post
What ski resort is worth going to from Montreal?
True-up vertical descent
http://mountainvertical.com/best-ski...owboarding.php
Saint-Sauveur: 0h54; 605 feet
Bromont: 0h57; 790 feet
Orford: 1h19; 905 feet
Sutton: 1h22; 1472 feet
Mont-Blanc: 1h22; 683 feet
Owl's head: 1h35; 1410 feet
Tremblant: 1h41; 2031 feet
Jay Peak: 1h47; 1936 feet
Whiteface: 2h04; 3216 feet
Base on the numbers, I would probably only do Saint-Sauveur or Bromont without sleepover. I've only been to Temblant out of those.
With a sleepover (if you're in Montreal), 2 ski resorts worth visiting :
Ste-Anne : ~3h00; 2068 feet
Le Massif : ~3h30 : 2220 feet

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 3:01 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
What ski resort is worth going to from Montreal?
Single or double plank? (board or ski)
And what's your ability level??

And no idea what the border is like now, but the US resorts may take a little longer to get to.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post

And no idea what the border is like now, but the US resorts may take a little longer to get to.
I do snowboard and my ability level is average I guess, I'll do double black diamond just no off-piste and no snow park.
I was just wondering what ski resort people here go or would go from Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 4:21 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
I was just wondering what ski resort people here go or would go from Montreal.
While I don't do Montreal anymore, I always thought that it would have been great to have a "ski train" to one of the hills. I know that a couple tour groups used to organize bus day trips to various hills - anyone know if this is still the case? Having someone else do the driving makes a 2+ hour trek each way easily doable.

EDIT: don't forget lift ticket pricing - something else that can influence a day. BTW, a walk up day ticket at Whistler is $139. Ouch

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
EDIT: don't forget lift ticket pricing - something else that can influence a day. BTW, a walk up day ticket at Whistler is $139. Ouch
That's brutal! I was pissed about the $98 I paid for Louise and Sunshine, Imagine Fernie will be the same this weekend (though I'm getting Costco tickets, so I should save about $20). I love that Castle only charges $74 for a lift pass, a pair from Costco is only $110.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
While I don't do Montreal anymore, I always thought that it would have been great to have a "ski train" to one of the hills. I know that a couple tour groups used to organize bus day trips to various hills - anyone know if this is still the case? Having someone else do the driving makes a 2+ hour trek each way easily doable.

I always thought Vancouver should get a train to Whistler but there is the downside that the resort would be even more crowded than it already is. The capacity is 69,939 skiers per hour but I don't know if it is saturated, if there is potential for capacity growth or if they limit the number of lift ticket beyond a certain point.

The obvious resort near Montreal that could get a ski train is Tremblant. Although, I don't know if the capacity justifies it. I guess they could do a scenic ski train like the one at Le Massif.

Tremblant: 27,230 skiers/hour
Saint-Sauveur: 15,604 skiers/hour
Owl's Head: 14,400 skers/hour
Whiteface: 13,279 skiers/hour
Jay Peak: 12,820 skiers/hour
Sutton: 11,800 skiers/hour
Orford: 11,400 skiers/hour
Bromont: 7,150 skiers/hour

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:

I've never had a problem going to Jay Peak on a Saturday morning, the customs are usually far from crowded in the winter. (total waiting/processing time usually don't exceed 10 min, except during the Christmas holidays probably) If you were referring to the new Trump's policy, I think that's pretty obvious what the purpose of your trip is and tons of people cross the border for ski trips. There really shouldn't be any hassle. (I hate to say it, but that might be different if your name is Muhammad)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:

I used to do Rod Roy Ski School as a teen that bused from various locations around Montreal to hills all over. They're still around.

http://www.rodroy.com/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
That video really made me resent sitting at my desk... especially knowing they just got over a meter of snow with another half meter on the way.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:
I always thought Vancouver should get a train to Whistler but there is the downside that the resort would be even more crowded than it already is. The capacity is 69,939 skiers per hour but I don't know if it is saturated, if there is potential for capacity growth or if they limit the number of lift ticket beyond a certain point.

The obvious resort near Montreal that could get a ski train is Tremblant. Although, I don't know if the capacity justifies it. I guess they could do a scenic ski train like the one at Le Massif.

Tremblant: 27,230 skiers/hour
Saint-Sauveur: 15,604 skiers/hour
Owl's Head: 14,400 skers/hour
Whiteface: 13,279 skiers/hour
Jay Peak: 12,820 skiers/hour
Sutton: 11,800 skiers/hour
Orford: 11,400 skiers/hour
Bromont: 7,150 skiers/hour
There was a train service to Whistler for decades by provincially owned BC Rail, until it was shut down by the douchey premier Gordon Campbell.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:31 PM

Sounds like a lot of freezing rain hit the south BC interior this weekend, lots of the massive snowfall from last week was converted into a layer of ice a couple inches thick. I went to kicking Horse Saturday and fortunately they only got snow, so the conditions were pretty awesome still.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 7:39 PM

This house listing kind of summarizes the difference between Whistler and other Canadian ski resorts:
http://www.rew.ca/news/photo-gallery...home-1.9744936

Old Posted Feb 19, 2017, 7:27 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
This house listing kind of summarizes the difference between Whistler and other Canadian ski resorts:
Seriously - do you even ski?

FWIW - Louise was good (not great) today. Sunshine tomorrow - fingers crossed

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 3:11 AM
Beer me Captain

For any Calgarians planning on heading out on Family day - both Louise and Sunshine are in good shape. Nice snow, though visibility at Sunshine was hit and miss today. Plus side was that Delirium Dive was open and in fantastic shape - tons of powder and few skiers. Downside was wind blown snow came in around 230 so it was an early close

Have fun ...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Seriously - do you even ski?

FWIW - Louise was good (not great) today. Sunshine tomorrow - fingers crossed
Obviously that went right over your head.

Whistler is in an international league of ski resorts that other Canadian ski areas aren't. Get it now?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 12:56 PM

Living in the Maritimes......we usually drive to Maine, NH, VT or Quebec for a ski vacation but where I live in Nova Scotia......another option is Marble Mountain in Corner Brook, Newfoundland: 520m vertical and 5m of snow. We usually make a couple of trips each winter. Over on the ferry Friday night....two days skiing.....ferry back on Sunday night and at work by 10 on Monday morning. Check out the video here:

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/...MountainResort

It’s also popular with UK Skiers with transatlantic charters direct to Deer Lake Airport

The ferry at North Sydney NS then arriving at Port-aux-Basques early the next morning from Nova Scotia:

Marble Mountain Resort is located along the Trans Canada Highway in the Humber River Valley.

Apres-ski in the lodge with typical Newfoundland hospitality....where you’ll even find Moose Stew on the menu!

And those unique Newfoundland names are even on the ski trails.

Heading home Sunday on the overnight ferry:

Last edited by ghYHZ; Feb 20, 2017 at 1:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:34 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Obviously that went right over your head.

Whistler is in an international league of ski resorts that other Canadian ski areas aren't. Get it now?
Seriously, you are comparing resorts due to the price of chalets?? What a uniquely "Vancouver" thing to do. Maybe we should also compare the price of parking at the skil hill? Price for a latte? Or how about how many Gucci stores there are in the base hotels?? (all things I believe Whistler leads in)

Whistler certainly is a big ski hill with lots of options - no doubt about that. But if you insist in measuring d!cks - how about this:

Which ski resort in Canada has consistently hosted the best skiers in the world more than any other?? Hint - it's Louise. Home to a men's/women's world cup since the 80's (one of only two FIS hosts to do so). While the Olympics were at Whistler, Louise has hosted 42 Mens and Women's world cup downhills since the last one at Whistler.

Now I'm not saying Louise is the best, or that how many World Cups you've hosted means you're a fantastic mountain or not. But if we're going to have to rate a ski resort, I think I'll take the number of FIS races hosted over the price of chalets any day.

Again I ask, do you even ski??

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:36 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Living in the Maritimes......we usually drive to Maine, NH, VT or Quebec for a ski vacation but where I live in Nova Scotia......another option is Marble Mountain in Corner Brook, Newfoundland: 520m vertical and 5m of snow.
I loved Marble! Skied there twice in the 90's and had a blast. Too bad it is so isolated from the eastern cities, otherwise I think it could have been more of a destination resort. Then again, maybe it has become so.

Love the pictures!!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:47 AM
Beer me Captain

Speaking of pictures ... skied at Louise and Sunshine over the weekend - both are in good shape.

Louise - Alphabet chutes were in nice shape and paradise bowl was perfectly bumpy. Didn't make it to Brown shirt, so no idea on what that was like.

Sunshine - Decent snow on Lookout, but the westside chutes on Goats Eye need snow. Avalanche danger in Eagle meadows meant that area was closed. Delirium Dive was open however and in great shape!

The view in Delirium just below the upper drop in ...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 11:22 PM

Its great getting to ski at one of those big mountains.....but let’s hear for all those small hills across the country. Here in the Nova Scotia we make do with what we’ve got and boy can I have fun on those 250m of vertical at Ski Wentworth:

http://skiwentworth.ca/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada