HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 8:40 PM

I see the old st b residents group lost their appeal yesterday to block the development at 825 Tache. now they are threatening court action. good grief..

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 8:59 PM

It's amazing to what lengths they'll go for a simple apartment building. Actually condo building, which is probably better for the neighbourhood.

They said its too close to the tracks, too close to the river, doesn't meet the secondary plan (which may be the only legit reason they have), doesn't fit the neighbourhood, etc.

Or let it rot as a wasteland. Okay.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 9:25 PM

^ Yeah, I'm kind of torn over that f-cluster. On one hand I am irritated by the resident group's insistence on making North St B continue to look like a little piece of the backwoods Ozarks for the rest of time by obstructing any and all development, but on the other hand they do have a point with respect to the city having an actual plan that they aren't sticking to.

The city was spineless to cave to this resident group whenever the plan was created, but now it's turning into another example of the city just amending its plans pretty well whenever it feels like it which is also annoying.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Yeah, I'm kind of torn over that f-cluster. On one hand I am irritated by the resident group's insistence on making North St B continue to look like a little piece of the backwoods Ozarks for the rest of time by obstructing any and all development, but on the other hand they do have a point with respect to the city having an actual plan that they aren't sticking to.

The city was spineless to cave to this resident group whenever the plan was created, but now it's turning into another example of the city just amending its plans pretty well whenever it feels like it which is also annoying.
If the group successfully challenges the development in court, the city should just reopen the yard and pay a guy to drive a front-end loader backwards in circles all night long. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:05 PM

Apartments proposed for 376 Marion (just east of Des Meurons), across from the new A&W by the Dairy Whip or whatever name they are using now.

3 storeys, 30 suites. Cement stucco, cement fibre siding and cultured stone, with parking in front/sides and the building set back from Marion. Looks like they will leave that little CRU in the front (some hair place).

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:25 PM

No thanks.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:34 PM

^ They need to try harder. I'm not even going to mention the building itself, but the site plan... at least push it up a bit closer to Marion. That area deserves something better than what you'd expect out by the Perimeter somewhere.

Thanks for posting these proposals, Endofthebeginning.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:46 PM

If you want to live in a place that looks like a down on its luck Super 8, then these are the apartments for you.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:50 PM

I think that building fronts onto Horace. The added density is welcome.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:50 PM

I always find the sloped roofs cheap. Looks cheap, feels cheap, usually is cheap. This whole building is on the cheap.

The site though. Such a waste of space whats happening on Marion/Goulet. All these places, some of which are super expensive, sit back on the lanes, not the front street. Just cheap cheap cheap feel to the area.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I think that building fronts onto Horace. The added density is welcome.
Not sure if there's sarcasm in there. Nice for Horace, shitty for Marion.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
If you want to live in a place that looks like a down on its luck Super 8, then these are the apartments for you.
Will a penthouse suite there be over or under 1 million dollars?

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Not sure if there's sarcasm in there. Nice for Horace, shitty for Marion.
I don't think it has much to do with Marion. Maybe I am looking at the diagram wrong..

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I always find the sloped roofs cheap. Looks cheap, feels cheap, usually is cheap. This whole building is on the cheap.

The site though. Such a waste of space whats happening on Marion/Goulet. All these places, some of which are super expensive, sit back on the lanes, not the front street. Just cheap cheap cheap feel to the area.
There are some nice older buildings on Marion and Goulet and even a few nice newer ones, but when every other new build is mediocre like this, you kind of wonder why the developers of the good projects bother. I wish the city had higher standards for this strip and treated it more like, say, Osborne and less like McPhillips.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
I don't think it has much to do with Marion. Maybe I am looking at the diagram wrong..
The address is 376 Marion. They're parking lot is on Marion. So it has just as much to do with Horace as it does with Marion.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:42 PM

If you go to the Riel committee report you will see that the property is being sub dived between a commercial component that will front onto Marion and a residential component that fronts onto Horace. The city report by Richard Mahe' sets out the reasoning behind it.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:45 PM

17 yrs ago i use to take my dog to Agility class in that dilapetated shack in behind the hair shop. the area doesn't scream high end, but middle of the road apartments are desired / required in the area, so i agree, density is welcome

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:54 PM

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
If you go to the Riel committee report you will see that the property is being sub dived between a commercial component that will front onto Marion and a residential component that fronts onto Horace. The city report by Richard Mahe' sets out the reasoning behind it.
Yeah, the property address is officially 376 Marion, but it looks like in order not to be seen to be "backing onto" one of Marion or Horace, they are going to leave that little CRU to front Marion. The apartment will be oriented to front Horace. That compromise seems to have satisfied the City planner in this case.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:46 PM
There is always a way

What a garbage plan. this should be facing marion and filling the whole section on the street with access off horace. Essentially same plan but they move the apartments to face marion and put CRUs on the ground floor in the front. How f'n hard is it to do that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan