HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 2:10 PM

Grabbed a screen cap from my dashcam video since I was on the Chief Peguis bridge yesterday.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:37 PM

I grew up in NK, hence my resistance to the EK label haha! Nothing against EK really, just some humble local snobbery you absorb living there!

As a current resident of Fraser's Grove, I declare my independence from the Kildonans! Technically falls within east kildonan I think, though it's right on that border between NK/EK... but dammit if i have to choose a Kildonan I choose North! *raises fist*

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:47 PM

haha some good local bantering never hurt anyone! I do have a desire to acquire property on Kildonan Dr. one of these days. We can then *fist raise* to the lowly residents of the Kildonans!

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:59 PM

Just to confuse things further, the NK ward for the city actually runs down into EK on the west side of Henderson down to the north side of Elmwood Park.

So Wolf13 is sort of correct of being in the "new NK" if you look at it that way.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 3:10 AM

Does anybody know if the new units are going to have the sunken living rooms etc. like the existing buildings?

I helped one of my friends in-laws move from a 2 bed room to a 1 bedroom in one of the existing buildings a few weeks ago, and kept tripping as I was caring furniture, as I was not use to that style of apartment.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 2:24 PM

I know 2 people who have "filled in" the sunken living rooms in their homes. 1 in Lindenwoods who've lived there for 20 years. Another family who moved into a home built in the 80's. I think the glory days of sunken living rooms are over. Most times now it's just straight up 9' ceilings on the main floor.

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I know 2 people who have "filled in" the sunken living rooms in their homes. 1 in Lindenwoods who've lived there for 20 years. Another family who moved into a home built in the 80's. I think the glory days of sunken living rooms are over. Most times now it's just straight up 9' ceilings on the main floor.
This

Sunken rooms are a thing of the past.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 7:21 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Grew up in Riverbend, and my parents had a house that had a sunken living room with an actual wood burning fireplace.

It was a tripping hazard for kids like myself at the time when running around the house. Thankfully, it was all carpet, but even then, my grandpa was not fond of it at all.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 8:43 PM

Becoming a thing of the past, although there are reno's of older homes returning to the feature..I can't see it happening in many of the newer builds, (Estates). It really depends on the make-up of the family unit at the time of purchase/lease..Sunken areas, work in some homes, still available in many of the older residential units, the South Broadway area being a good example..

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 12:34 AM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 2:55 PM
What could go wrong?

They are near topping out of another whole wing that is not yet started in those photos. Attached directly to the left of the finished construction is an addition about half as big but just as tall (I believe as it is not yet topped out).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 3:30 PM

I hadn't drove by there in a while, until this past week. Quite a large building they put up, including the other wing as you mentioned.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 3:54 PM
BANNED

I will call this "the projects".

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 3:59 PM

haha, Looks like a projects kind of thing. Except they're a bit nicer apartments in there. Def not low end type place. Not high end either. I wonder if there's any renos planned, or been done, to the existing buildings.

Also, what would be the problem if they built that thing another 20 storeys tall, like they originally wanted to? It's already the full height of the other apartments so is blocking the views already. Not really right next to any other streets or houses either. My love for tall buildings, oooyyyyyy.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 4:09 PM

^ vike killed it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 4:43 PM

Weird how they called the topped out side "North tower" when it is possibly better described as "West tower." They are currently building up the "South Tower" which would probably be better described as "East Tower." Unless of course the pre-existing buildings already use "east" and "west" as monikers. How would that conversation go if you were to direct visitors to the "South tower" that towers over the northeast side of the property? That's a little awkward.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 6:53 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWednesday View Post
Weird how they called the topped out side "North tower" when it is possibly better described as "West tower." They are currently building up the "South Tower" which would probably be better described as "East Tower." Unless of course the pre-existing buildings already use "east" and "west" as monikers. How would that conversation go if you were to direct visitors to the "South tower" that towers over the northeast side of the property? That's a little awkward.
I guess the only compromise to both new towers would be "northwest" and "southeast" towers, but they'd either be half wrong, or half right on both fronts!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWednesday View Post
They are probably aligning their buildings to the Kildonan compass rose.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They are near topping out of another whole wing that is not yet started in those photos. Attached directly to the left of the finished construction is an addition about half as big but just as tall (I believe as it is not yet topped out).

Thx. for this Biff, havent been in the area for months.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 6:01 PM

Found a 2016 oblique air photo buried in a recent planning report for the site dealing with changes to garbage pick-up area and canopies for parking.
It's from earlier than the last set of photos posted by Cyro.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan