HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Totally possible but it would have to be removed, hauled away and stored every fall. Just like the Forks docks, and we know what happened to them.
Forgot about those, what did happen to them?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 6:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

They were stored on Forks land just south of the Boine. Someone set them on fire.

They were replaced and set on fire again. That was the end of docks at the Forks.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 6:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
They were stored on Forks land just south of the Boine. Someone set them on fire.

They were replaced and set on fire again. That was the end of docks at the Forks.
Ok, now I remember, proving once again that you just can't have good stuff in Winnipeg!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 9:58 PM

Yeah, they'd be better off storing them out in the country with the warming huts. Storing them in an open, yet poorly visible place next to a housing project wasn't smart.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Shellmouth resevoir can only store so much water an then it is basically a just a straight through river. ND, Sask and MB are all part of the problem. We drain, we flood. There is only the physical barrier of gravity - the land is too flat for the water to get out of its own way. As BJ said the only way to mitigate this is to reverse drainage projects.
Lake of the Prairies (made by the Shellmouth dam) is drained over the winter to provide storage for the spring run-off and as Riverman said, it can only store so much.
As a former farmer in SW MB pothole country there has been a lot of drainage happening over the years. I seem to recall that my land was taxed on the entire farm instead of cultivated acres, so it stands to reason that wetlands would be drained to maximize production. I advocate for an incentive for farmers to retain wetlands or create holding ponds (maybe 10 to 20 acres per 360 acres) that will slow the advance of water downstream.
I still shake my head at Brandon allowing the development of Grand Valley which is located on the flood plain in the city. All developments on flood plains should be halted it is just dumb and only increases the problem of flooding.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:

I would think the City could make better use of that land, South Point Park. Right on the peninsula of the Red and Assiniboine. Clean it up, remove the garbage, upgrade the pathways to asphalt. Put in a few benches or something. Maybe a statue of someone or something. Right now it's a wasteland.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 9:38 PM

^ I think in the original Forks plan there was supposed to be some sort of Aboriginal-themed development, but it never materialized.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I think in the original Forks plan there was supposed to be some sort of Aboriginal-themed development, but it never materialized.
As long as someone else pays for it, builds it and maintains it the First Nations are all in on that plan!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I would think the City could make better use of that land, South Point Park. Right on the peninsula of the Red and Assiniboine. Clean it up, remove the garbage, upgrade the pathways to asphalt. Put in a few benches or something. Maybe a statue of someone or something. Right now it's a wasteland.
I live close by and walk through that spot often over the old rail bridge. on several occasions I have seen deer, foxes and even a couple bald eagles along the river. I'm ok with it staying wild.. the animals seem to know how to find it and use it as an inner city refuge. other inner city "inhabitants" can also be found amongst the bushes on other occasions

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
As long as someone else pays for it, builds it and maintains it the First Nations are all in on that plan!

so you mean like the rest of the Forks is for non-aboriginals?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I live close by and walk through that spot often over the old rail bridge. on several occasions I have seen deer, foxes and even a couple bald eagles along the river. I'm ok with it staying wild.. the animals seem to know how to find it and use it as an inner city refuge. other inner city "inhabitants" can also be found amongst the bushes on other occasions
Awesome. I wouldn't want to get rid of any trees or anything like that. Just clean it up a bit.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 12:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

The area in that peninsula is full of geothermal wells

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 10:51 PM

Isn't the Forks food court composting vessel and the bio fuel plant for the grounds keeping equipment being run in that same area?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 11:00 PM

Good News. We've had some more snow since this forecast but with the heat wave much of it has melted again. Many areas outside of the SE corner are bare. Unless we get a lot more precipitation in the next 6 weeks, there will be little runoff from SK, except in the Souris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
First runoff forecast just issued. I think the is underestimating things. Sure most of the snow melted in January but a lot of the moisture is still in the ground.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan