HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:38 AM
Heart of the Continent

A good sign. My YWG - ORD and ORD - YWG flights in May have both changed from 50 seat jets (ERJ145) to 68 seat jets with business class (CRJ700).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 5:37 PM

WestJet is now doing a summer seasonal daily YWG flight to Abbotsford

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 5:39 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
WestJet is now doing a summer seasonal daily YWG flight to Abbotsford
I wonder who that's aimed at....

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 12:12 AM

Here is the link to the press release:
http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1215

Quote:
WestJet sweetens up summer schedule

Adds route between Winnipeg and Abbotsford, 21 additional flights

CALGARY, Feb. 20, 2017 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced plans to connect two long-standing WestJet destinations with the addition of service between Winnipeg and Abbotsford. WestJet today also announced 21 incremental flights across the network that will serve both business and leisure travellers.

WestJet is now connecting Winnipeg and Abbotsford (CNW Group/WestJet)

Starting April 30, 2017, WestJet will add Abbotsford as its 13th non-stop destination from Winnipeg and will increase frequency on routes to Edmonton and Hamilton. WestJet has served Abbotsford since 1997 and Winnipeg since 1996.

The airline will increase its number of non-stop flights between Abbotsford and Edmonton from 13 per week to 20 and service between Winnipeg and Edmonton will increase from 21 flights per week to 24 beginning April 30. Daily service between Winnipeg and Hamilton begins May 1. With these additions, WestJet will operate 60 weekly departures from Abbotsford and 204 departures from Winnipeg by May 2017, reinforcing WestJet's position as the number one air carrier in both these markets.

"WestJet has built its reputation as Canada's low-fare leader since 1996 and these flights further solidify this position," said Brian Znotins, WestJet Vice-President, Network Planning, Corporate Development and Alliances. "WestJet has proudly and consistently served the people of Abbotsford, the lower mainland and Winnipeg for more than 20 years while many other airlines have come and gone. Our reputation as Canada's low-fare leader is a position we will maintain as competition increases. We are pleased to connect two important WestJet markets this summer."

"WestJet's growth in Abbotsford is great news for our city, as our population continues to grow at record rates in the Fraser Valley," said Henry Braun, Abbotsford Mayor. "These new routes will ensure we continue to attract business investment and employment opportunities to the communities east of the Fraser. Cross-country routes solidify our international airport's role as a regional hub and as an integral part of the provincial transportation network."

"More air travel options for Winnipeg is always welcome news," said Pascal Bélanger, Vice-President and Chief Commercial Officer for the Winnipeg Airports Authority. "Today's announcement is a reflection of our growing partnership with WestJet and gives our community more options as we head into the busy summer travel season."

The airline also announced it will increase seasonal capacity on a number of other existing routes. Starting May 2, Edmonton and Hamilton will add six weekly flights for a total of 10 and on May 6, flights between Hamilton and Halifax will increase from seven to eight weekly flights.

All flights will be operated on board WestJet's Boeing 737 aircraft featuring Plus seating and WestJet Connect, WestJet's inflight entertainment system accessed directly through smartphones, tablets or computers. Almost 75 per cent of WestJet's Boeing fleet is equipped with WestJet Connect.

All flights provide WestJet Rewards members the opportunity to earn WestJet dollars to be used towards the payment of a WestJet-marketed flight or a WestJet Vacations package (excluding taxes, fees and charges).

Details of WestJet's service:

Route
Frequency
Departing
Arriving
Effective
Winnipeg – Abbotsford
Daily
7:25 a.m.
8:20 a.m.
April 30 – Oct 28
Abbotsford – Winnipeg
Daily
1:10 p.m.
5:48 p.m.
April 30 – Oct 28

Introductory one-way fares are available starting from:

Departing
Arriving
Air transportation charges (ATC)
Taxes, fees and charges
Total one-way price from
Base fare from
Other ATC
Winnipeg
Abbotsford
$34.00
$23.00
$36.58
$93.58* CAD
Abbotsford
Winnipeg
$54.00
$23.00
$16.58
$93.58* CAD
*Book by February 27, 2017. Some restrictions apply. See westjet.com/newroutes for full details.

About WestJet
We are proud to be Canada's most trusted airline, powered by an award-winning culture of care and recognized as one of the country's top employers. WestJet, and our regional airline, WestJet Encore, offer scheduled service to more than 100 destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe. Through our partnerships with airlines representing every major region of the world, we offer our guests more than 150 destinations in more than 20 countries. Leveraging WestJet's extensive network, flight schedule and remarkable guest experience, WestJet Vacations delivers affordable, flexible travel experiences with a variety of accommodation options for every guest. Members of our WestJet Rewards program earn WestJet dollars on flights, vacation packages and more. Our members use WestJet dollars towards the purchase of WestJet flights and vacations packages on any day, at any time, to any WestJet destination with no blackout periods ̶ even on seat sales. For more information about everything WestJet, please visit westjet.com.

Recent recognition includes:

2016 Canada's Most Trusted Airline (Gustavson School of Business at the University of Victoria)
2016 Canada's most reputable company for Corporate Social Responsibility (Reputation Institute)
2016/2015/2014/2013/2012 Ranked top three for Canadian Brands (Canadian Business Magazine)
2016/2015/2014/2013 WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard ranked #1 in Canada (MoneySense magazine)
2015/2011/2010/2008/2007/2006/2005 Canada's Most Admired Corporate Culture (Waterstone Human Capital)
2015 Best Employers in Canada (Aon Hewitt)

Connect with WestJet on Facebook at facebook.com/westjet
Follow WestJet on Twitter at twitter.com/westjet
Subscribe to WestJet on YouTube at youtube.com/westjet
Read the WestJet blog at blog.westjet.com

WestJet is now connecting Abbotsford and Winnipeg (CNW Group/WestJet)

SOURCE WestJet

For further information: To contact WestJet media relations, please email media@westjet.com.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Here is the link to the press release:
http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1215
Good work by WestJet.

New Leaf represents a race to the bottom and it is pricing model for fees is at best opportunistic and at worst deceptive as it is not consistent the industry norms that the average travel would expect.

WestJet is doing a public service by driving this model out of Canada as quickly as possible.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Good work by WestJet.

New Leaf represents a race to the bottom and it is pricing model for fees is at best opportunistic and at worst deceptive as it is not consistent the industry norms that the average travel would expect.

WestJet is doing a public service by driving this model out of Canada as quickly as possible.
Yeah, good work by Westjet to eliminate a competitive airline who's model is to provide lower costs of flying to Canadians.

Good work by Westjet to force it's competitors out so that it and Air Canada can continue to gouge the Canadian public in their practical monopoly in most of Canada; once a fat cat always a fat cat.

Good work by Westjet to throw these kinds of bones to markets like ours ONLY because of their current competition. And once that competition no longer exists, they will take this and all the other "new" non-stop destination flights away so they can focus on their larger more important markets because of the bloody hub/spoke/wheel/whatever garbage and biased model they have for providing citizens of certain cities better, more numerous flights whilst at the same time stifling our growth and ability to attract and maintain more significant domestic and international direct flights.

Yes, by all mean, good work Westjet.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Yeah, good work by Westjet to eliminate a competitive airline who's model is to provide lower costs of flying to Canadians.

Good work by Westjet to force it's competitors out so that it and Air Canada can continue to gouge the Canadian public in their practical monopoly in most of Canada; once a fat cat always a fat cat.

Good work by Westjet to throw these kinds of bones to markets like ours ONLY because of their current competition. And once that competition no longer exists, they will take this and all the other "new" non-stop destination flights away so they can focus on their larger more important markets because of the bloody hub/spoke/wheel/whatever garbage and biased model they have for providing citizens of certain cities better, more numerous flights whilst at the same time stifling our growth and ability to attract and maintain more significant domestic and international direct flights.

Right on the money!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post

almost an advertisement on why we should only book through New Leaf if anyone wants to go to those destinations!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Good work by WestJet.

Would you also call Ryanair and EasyJet opportunistic? They are at numbers 5 and 8 in the world at passengers caried. Let the customers decide if it is a race to the bottom as you put it.

I feel sorry for all the airport authorities that have to "welcome" WestJet on the local news knowing that what in fact WestJet is doing is eliminating new routes to their airports. Someone should make a Christmas video of WestJet's love affair with bringing down NewLeaf.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 2:30 PM

I understand why casper is not fond of NewLeaf's model, but at the end of the day they provide more choice and serve a segment of the population that otherwise might not have air travel within their reach. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

For what it's worth, AC and WS have done plenty on their own to diminish the level of service in Canadian skies. Remember when an economy seat to Toronto got you two checked bags free and a hot meal?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:34 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
For what it's worth, AC and WS have done plenty on their own to diminish the level of service in Canadian skies. Remember when an economy seat to Toronto got you two checked bags free and a hot meal?
That same seat also cost north of $500 though. Now you can do it for $360 on many days.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
That same seat also cost north of $500 though. Now you can do it for $360 on many days.
Not at all... I don't recall the exact numbers but I remember paying under $400 to go to Toronto and Ottawa. I was a student then so I wouldn't have been able to afford > $500 fares. The early 00s (when third airlines like Jetsgo/Canada 3000/Canjet were driving down fares) was when fares hit their low mark... AC and WS eliminated many perks for economy tickets at that point, and they never came back even when the competition disappeared and fares increased again.

The 90s were kind of the sweet spot for when fares had become reasonable but service levels were still fairly high. I mean, in addition to the meals and bags with a discounted economy ticket, you even got 100% of miles flown in Aeroplan points. What a deal!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 4:40 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Not at all... I don't recall the exact numbers but I remember paying under $400 to go to Toronto and Ottawa. I was a student then so I wouldn't have been able to afford > $500 fares. The early 00s (when third airlines like Jetsgo/Canada 3000/Canjet were driving down fares) was when fares hit their low mark... AC and WS eliminated many perks for economy tickets at that point, and they never came back even when the competition disappeared and fares increased again.

The 90s were kind of the sweet spot for when fares had become reasonable but service levels were still fairly high. I mean, in addition to the meals and bags with a discounted economy ticket, you even got 100% of miles flown in Aeroplan points. What a deal!
I wasn't flying back then, and wasn't thinking that far back. Good to know.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
Would you also call Ryanair and EasyJet opportunistic? They are at numbers 5 and 8 in the world at passengers caried. Let the customers decide if it is a race to the bottom as you put it.

I feel sorry for all the airport authorities that have to "welcome" WestJet on the local news knowing that what in fact WestJet is doing is eliminating new routes to their airports. Someone should make a Christmas video of WestJet's love affair with bringing down NewLeaf.
Opportunistic is not bad for a business. You see an opportunity or undeserved market or a new way of positioning a service and take advantage of it. If they discovered this undeserved market linking Winnipeg with the Fraser Valley that is cool. They are being opportunistic and should be rewarded for it.

If they are following in the footsteps of someone like Ryanair or EasyJet that is not good. Some of European discount airlines play games with consumers. I don't have a good feeling for how up-front or not NewLeaf is being.

If they create the illusion that Abbotsford is Vancouver. I would view that as a problem.

If they are up-front about carry on baggage fees and checked baggage fees that is fine. However charging for carry on is a bit odd. Charging more for carry on at the gate is even more silly.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
I understand why casper is not fond of NewLeaf's model, but at the end of the day they provide more choice and serve a segment of the population that otherwise might not have air travel within their reach. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

I agree AC and WS have pushed as far as they can. NewLeaf should not be an excuse to push more.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:27 PM
Closed account

If there was an equivalent to Southwest in Canada, I'd go with them. That used to be Westjet until they got all wrapped up in the idea that they wanted to compete with Air Canada internationally.

Canada simply doesn't have the international travel passengers for a second major international carrier in addition to AC and whatever foreign carriers compete here. Canadian Airlines learned that one the hard way. As for long-haul vacationers, Rouge is happily competing with Air Transat and Westjet on that front - the advantage of having a well-funded and experienced prior transatlantic operation is a boon.

If I were CEO of Westjet, I'd refocus on the North American market. There might not be much growth, but Southwest doesn't seem to care, as long as the profits are there. So, I'd dump the baggage fees, minimize the hub-and-spoke system and court the North American business flier community (I'd have decent business-class seats, not that "Plus" junk). As for a meal on a domestic flight, I'm less concerned about that - most North American flights are less than 6 hours per leg, so a small snack in economy is fine. Focus on what you're good at.

NewLeaf strikes me more like Spirit or Allegiant Airlines (big surprise there). Semi-sketchy, underfunded and nickel-and-diming. If I'm absolutely broke and must fly somewhere, I guess it might work, if I price it properly. Otherwise, I think I'll splurge on the proven airline.

That being said, it looks bad when you're obviously trying to stomp someone out of business. Westjet has the advantage of a lot of goodwill from the past, but they can squander it pretty quickly (see: LGW flights).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
I agree AC and WS have pushed as far as they can. NewLeaf should not be an excuse to push more.
Sounds to me like your beef is with AC and WS and not NewLeaf.

NewLeaf doesn't hide the extra charges it imposes, and there certainly are people going to the Fraser Valley who appreciate the Abbotsford location. They provide a useful market alternative.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:43 PM

Not sure if this is accurate but are we getting service to Newark on United Express?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnip...d_destinations

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
Not sure if this is accurate but are we getting service to Newark on United Express?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnip...d_destinations
Must be a wikiprank, because I checked several days in May at United.com and all flights involved connections. I wonder who made the change?

EDIT: I looked at the page's history and it appears that same person previously added Heathrow and Narita as destinations. It's probably a kid having fun.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:45 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Must be a wikiprank, because I checked several days in May at United.com and all flights involved connections. I wonder who made the change?

EDIT: I looked at the page's history and it appears that same person previously added Heathrow and Narita as destinations. It's probably a kid having fun.
Bummer, I'd love to be able to fly to Tokyo and london from here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan