HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
MSE Walls are Mechanically Stabilized Earth retaining walls.

The Regina Bypass is using MSE walls to retain embankment fills for roadways and at bridge abutments. The MSE walls on the Regina Bypass consist of precast concrete facings and steel soil reinforcing strips embedded in the backfill behind the facing. There will be over 20,000m2 of MSE walls installed on the Regina Bypass project.

http://www.reginabypass.ca/what-is-an-mse-wall/
Has anyone seen these things up close? Is there some mechanism for tightening and drawing back the precast facings or do they just have static anchors? I've always noticed how the abutments under the pasqua street x No.11 overpass (which used these or similar MSE's) still look good.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Has anyone seen these things up close? Is there some mechanism for tightening and drawing back the precast facings or do they just have static anchors? I've always noticed how the abutments under the pasqua street x No.11 overpass (which used these or similar MSE's) still look good.
Static:

Construction:
Construction of a MSE wall begins with delivery of pre-manufactured components – precast panels, reinforcing strips and backfill materials. The existing ground is prepared and a concrete leveling pad is poured. The precast panels are installed in rows and the backfill is placed and compacted with the soil reinforcing strips as each row of panels is installed. This process is repeated until the wall is completed. The concrete coping is then constructed on top of the precast panels as a finishing touch.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 4:48 AM

Interesting video from Parsons that gives an overview of the project along with more technical info.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 2:08 PM

http://cjme.com/
Regina Bypass Project 40 per cent complete; Pilot Butte overpass ahead of schedule By Britton Gray // December 13, 2016 - 6:16pm

Project Director Alisdair Dickinson says the Pilot Butte overpass will be completed ahead of schedule on Dec. 13, 2016.Work continues at the site of the Highway 1 West bypass on Dec. 13, 2016.Work continues at the site of the Highway 1 West bypass on Dec. 13, 2016.Work continues at the site of the Highway 1 West bypass on Dec. 13, 2016.Work continues at the site of the Highway 1 West bypass on Dec. 13, 2016.Minister David Marit says the bypass project is now 40 per cent complete on Dec. 13, 2016.Project Director Alisdair Dickinson says the Pilot Butte overpass will be completed ahead of schedule on Dec. 13, 2016.Work continues at the site of the Highway 1 West bypass on Dec. 13, 2016.

Britton Gray/980 CJME
Work continues at the site of the Highway 1 West bypass on Dec. 13, 2016.

The Regina Bypass Project continues to remain on schedule and is ahead in some phases.

An update on the project was given Tuesday and officials said it is 40 per cent completed.

“I think it really shows the collaboration between the teams to keep a project of this size on time and on budget,” Minister of Highways and Infrastructure David Marit said

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 5:57 PM

40%? Come on. Virtually no overpasses close to being completed and virtually no paving done. I don't think anything has been done on the SE leg - south of 33.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 7:37 PM

Quote:
40%? Come on. Virtually no overpasses close to being completed and virtually no paving done. I don't think anything has been done on the SE leg - south of 33.
Just like the stadium, what is the typical metric for assessing progress on large projects like this? % of time?, % of cost?, % of material?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Paving is quick when compared to the time it takes to set the road foundation. I'd guess 40% to be about right.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
Paving is quick when compared to the time it takes to set the road foundation. I'd guess 40% to be about right.
When the last two legs of the 201 in Calgary were built the vast majority of the paving was done at the very end of the process. Even a lot of the interchange work doesn't take that long, especially if there are no utilities to move. The roadbed work seemed to take the bulk of the time. Is there a detailed project timeline for this road available online?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
East of #6 has the topsoil stripped but nothing else. The Asphalt plant for paving the South and West portions of the bypass is going to be located beside the Broda service yard pending RM of Sherwood approval on January 9. The topsoil is already stripped off of the site.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
I agree. Foundations take forever to do, akin to office buildings' foundations. The parts we see actually take very little time to do.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:35 PM

First beams are being flown into place for the tower road overpass. This along with highway 48 / 46 / part of 33 are to be open by the end of October this year. Assuming the weather cooperates.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 4:45 PM

This tweet from the GTH yesterday cracked me up. They seem to think the bullseye radiating out from the GTH clearly demonstrates its strategic advantage.

It did the opposite for me... it demonstrates just how ridiculous the GTH is. Unless we're really focusing on getting into the northern AB, SK, MB & Territories markets, the radius should shift to the south & east a bit. Kansas City, Denver & Chicago all make much more sense. Doing this also makes ports in NYC, Montreal, Halifax & Houston much more accessible (not to mention Mexico & the southeastern US).

By this logic, La Ronge is the ideal location for a Sask-focused distribution hub, right? It's in the centre of the province. That's the key factor, right?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 9:51 PM

MSE walls have straps that project back into the soils, and are layered usually with some geotextile fabrics. Some use lightweight fills, such as cellular concrete. Lighter than typical soil which settles out over years. The faces can be adjusted so they align properly, but are otherwise static like was mentioned. One thing to note, these walls are designed to settle out. Recent project in Winnipeg for a fly-over had the MSE settle by almost 2 feet, by design.

MSE walls are very common these days as they are cheaper and typically easier to install than pre-cast concrete. They're delivered to site just like a giant Lego project, and can be assembled as needed. No I don't sell MSE walls either!

Personally I like everything old school concrete. Just because it looks more industrial IMO. I like old industrial areas. Have that certain feel to it, a remnant of the old glory days.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
MSE walls have straps that project back into the soils, and are layered usually with some geotextile fabrics. Some use lightweight fills, such as cellular concrete. Lighter than typical soil which settles out over years. The faces can be adjusted so they align properly, but are otherwise static like was mentioned. One thing to note, these walls are designed to settle out. Recent project in Winnipeg for a fly-over had the MSE settle by almost 2 feet, by design.

MSE walls are very common these days as they are cheaper and typically easier to install than pre-cast concrete. They're delivered to site just like a giant Lego project, and can be assembled as needed. No I don't sell MSE walls either!

Personally I like everything old school concrete. Just because it looks more industrial IMO. I like old industrial areas. Have that certain feel to it, a remnant of the old glory days.
Interesting - thanks.
When you say the MSE settles by almost 2 feet do you mean straight down or do they migrate out as well?
Thats kind of the reason I was asking. I have had experience with much much smaller retaining walls and migration over time is an issue but the MSE's installed years ago still look great.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 10:22 PM

2' straight down. That was from the manufactures presentation I attended. So seems to be coming from a good source.

Theory is the wall won't be able to move out because the fill behind is holding the strap in place. So the whole things settles downward. And by settling downward, it is compressing the existing soils below the wall downward. So in Winnipeg where the clay is garbage, you'll get more settlement that somewhere like BC where there's lots of granular or rock. Again in theory, as it moves down its trying to move out as well, which tightens up the grip on those straps. Preventing it from moving forward.

Difference here between a typical concrete wall is the lack of foundation. There are no piles, just the leveling pad. MSE wall design is highly in the realm of geotechnical engineers. You need to assess the existing ground conditions very carefully.

I'm sure over time there will be some movement outwards. But I have yet to see anything like that in my experience.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 9:07 PM
#1 King Champ

Where is the largest borrow pit located?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterp View Post
Where is the largest borrow pit located?
The one down by Campbell St. looks bigger than the one at Tower Road, but they are both huge. I think there must be one up near Highway 11 also.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
The one down by Campbell St. looks bigger than the one at Tower Road, but they are both huge. I think there must be one up near Highway 11 also.
Highway 11.

Campbell/South

Tower

A quick measure suggests both Campbell and Tower are about 18-20 acres each, but I think Tower is deeper.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:37 PM
#1 King Champ

Thank you for the help and the links.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:10 PM

does anyone know if there will be lights on the bypass?(maybe LED). I emailed them a while ago and no one has responded back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan