HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 3:21 AM

Yes please

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:15 AM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingDuck View Post
Yes please
True North Arena - All photos were taken by me.

The first two photos are from 2003/06/05. The old-looking part of the wall in front of the Met and to the north is the inside basement wall of the old Eaton's building. The basement extended out under the sidewalk.

2003/08/06 - The Metropolitan Theatre. I was happy to see a new-looking roof on it.

2003/08/06 - Rather than a bunch of individual photos, here's some I stitched together into a panorama.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

couple yrs befor i started documenting projects around town nice collection

theres a large chunk of the basement underneath hargrave

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 9:45 AM

A lot of that space under the road was there from Eaton's to connect to the power house and parking structure. It's now used for the loading dock enterence and to park the mobile TV trucks and team buses for sports events.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 2:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Part of a 1919 plan showing the corner of Provencher and Tache. The Quebec Hotel later became the Tourist Hotel I think. Did not know there was also a CNR hotel just to the north. Rotated a 1928 aerial photo to match.

If you look on google earth you can still see where it went in st boniface THe old rail line. Just look for the block sliced in half by a row of mature trees where the line once was

It's odd though it took to the 80's to start filling the one huge parcel with homes when the line was removed 40 plus years earlier.

As for st b not turning into another downtown. I'm glad it didn't. It's a lot nicer this way being stuck in time. Kinda shows what our current dt would have been like.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
A lot of that space under the road was there from Eaton's to connect to the power house and parking structure. It's now used for the loading dock enterence and to park the mobile TV trucks and team buses for sports events.
Here's that spot during the transition:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:16 PM

Royal Alexander (CP Hotel)

1945 and 1950 semi-oblique views of the Royal Alex on Main - it sure dominated that corner in it's heyday.

In both you can see transit still had separate ROW down the middle of Main (and Portage for that matter).

R. Galston has a good post on the history here:
https://spectatortribune.com/lost-wi...he-royal-alex/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:19 PM

^ What a spectacular find... thanks for posting those. Ah for the days when Higgins and Main was as dynamic and important a downtown intersection as, say, Portage and Donald.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 1:39 AM
BANNED

Man I wish the TD building was still standing

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136728...-RV1unp-RV1udr

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:29 PM

This railway station used to be located just off Portage near St. James St., in between the office tower and the hydro substation. It was moved sometime in the mid/late 1990s to the Prairie Dog Central's compound off Inkster.

Anyone know whether this station had a function there other than the Prairie Dog (I'm assuming that wasn't its original location).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Anyone know whether this station had a function there other than the Prairie Dog (I'm assuming that wasn't its original location).
Best I can find in a quick search is that the station served the former Oak Point Subdivision, which ran through the interlake region beside Highway 6 to Steeprock and Gypsumville. I imagine that was it's original location.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:48 PM

Ya I would also think the original location was in St. James. There would be stations like this allover the countryside. Small towns everywhere had these, or similar shacks.

Kinguni you likely found this site too?
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...AILWAY_STATION

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ya I would also think the original location was in St. James. There would be stations like this allover the countryside. Small towns everywhere had these, or similar shacks.

Kinguni you likely found this site too?
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...AILWAY_STATION
Yup. Was the most information I could find.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 9:05 PM

^ Yeah, good point. I suppose that when it was built, it was the passenger station for trains coming down from Gypsumville headed toward Union Station. You'd never know it now, but as recently as the late 90s there was still the remnant of a somewhat significant railyard on the lands where Canadian Tire and Save-On Foods are situated.

I thought that the station had been moved there from some rural location, but I now think the two of you are right.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 9:19 PM

There was an old rail line that ran just west of St. James. Had some storage tracks in there too, like you mentioned.

It's funny. You can still see where the old embankment was in the newly reconstructed streets from last year. Specifically Ellice. There still a hump in the road, slightly rounded out. But is where the old track crossed. I'm anal about stuff like that, and would've flattened it out with the new roadway. Oh well. The surrounding land is forever altered.

If you look at Google Maps you can clearly see where the old line ran. Theres still some remnants in the land from spurs that split off. And the track is still in service north of Saskatchewan. Although Im not sure if CN still owns it, or if it was given/sold to CP. Only access now is via CP track.

Further to the St. James Station thing. The track ran south and connected to the Rivers Sub mainline at 'St. James Junction'. This site still exists today, but of course does not connect to the Oak Point line. However it does connect to BNSF yard and track and to the CEMR line (former CN track) that runs south to Carman. The BNSF yard is where the red silos were famously erected 'overnight' a few years back with no public consultations at all. They still stand today.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 9:58 PM

CN stll owns the rails that run along St. James St. up north towards the old Woodman Jct by Brookside Blvd. To access it they have running rights with CP to access whats left of it off the CP Saskatchewan Ave rail line that connect to the CP and BNSF lines East of Empress.

In that area I think there was a lot of joint use on the industrial leads as I vaguely recall lines crossing over empress north of the old Stadium from the CP side to the CN side.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 10:21 PM

25 year ago there were several sprurs crossing many streets in St James industrial park. Pretty easy to pick out where a lot of them were on Google maps.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There was an old rail line that ran just west of St. James. Had some storage tracks in there too, like you mentioned.
Whoa. I knew that they were going to build apartments on that old rail line south of the river. But I never realized until I looked at it on Google Maps just now how it was turned into one LONG WALL of continuous identical buildings.

Whatever happened to the plan to turn the rail bridge into condos?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 4:16 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

I have a pin from "North Winnipeg Hospital 1910" I was wondering if anyone had any information on it.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 4:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

^^^pokes some people see what i find

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan