HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
That's cuz for provinces of our approximate size both in population and geography, taxes are our only real way or raising money - since we just can't seem to mine dinosaurs and other related high value commodities out of the ground.

A good comparison is Saskatchewan - what came first - lower taxes - or extra revenue from commodities?

Can Manitoba afford to drop taxes lower than say, Saskatchewan? What do we do to make up the revenue short fall in the short term while waiting for all these new businesses and entrepreneurs to come here - or the long term, if they never do?

Our debt even with all this tax is ridiculous. I am all for some creative accounting to get the business side of this province rolling - but we have to be realistic. Just how far below other provinces would you need to cut taxes to actually force a corporations hand in saying - "well shit, now we have to move to MB"...? or even "well shit, now I have to stay".

In order for Manitoba to be competitive, IMO it's simple. We need to literally strike gold or oil. Or, we need to cut our borders down to roughly our original postage stamp size, and cede the remaining territory to Nunuvut. Hydro is worth shit anyway, and no one seems to want Churchill.
What's pervasive is this "never raise taxes" mindset. The same crown that went on this " If we lower corporate taxes, it will create jobs" bullshit rant, also thinks their personal taxes are too high. Guess what? When you chop corporate taxes, you can't maintain the same level of services without shifting the taxes to personal income taxes. They'll scream about spending too much while at the same time willfully ignoring the reduction in ratio'd tax revenue.

Selinger never should have gotten rid of a) Paid up Capital Tax and b) small biz tax rate. It should be increased to 2.5% on the 1st $250K and 5% on $250K to $500K.

But PCs appear to worship at the temple of ideology, so we'll never see effective tax reform and proper analysis of income and expenditures.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 3:23 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
That's cuz for provinces of our approximate size both in population and geography, taxes are our only real way or raising money - since we just can't seem to mine dinosaurs and other related high value commodities out of the ground.

A good comparison is Saskatchewan - what came first - lower taxes - or extra revenue from commodities?

Can Manitoba afford to drop taxes lower than say, Saskatchewan? What do we do to make up the revenue short fall in the short term while waiting for all these new businesses and entrepreneurs to come here - or the long term, if they never do?

Our debt even with all this tax is ridiculous. I am all for some creative accounting to get the business side of this province rolling - but we have to be realistic. Just how far below other provinces would you need to cut taxes to actually force a corporations hand in saying - "well shit, now we have to move to MB"...? or even "well shit, now I have to stay".

In order for Manitoba to be competitive, IMO it's simple. We need to literally strike gold or oil. Or, we need to cut our borders down to roughly our original postage stamp size, and cede the remaining territory to Nunuvut. Hydro is worth shit anyway, and no one seems to want Churchill.

We did just strike diamonds. LOL

I think this province is competitive but I am not against raising taxes if it will pay the bills. The cost of living is reasonable here as compared to other provinces irrespective of the urban/rural factors. If I were a politician, that's how I would keep spinning it. And show Manitobans how much they would be paying if they lived in another province. If it is truly cheaper to live here, then put your money where your mouth is.

On a related note- why don't governments impose one-time fees as a form of tax collection? For example, let's say you want to spend a certain amount of money on infrastructure or the government of the day realizes that there will be short falls over the next five years. What's to stop them from charging a one-time tax to pay for a certain project, or to pay down the provincial debt? I realize it's a rather short-sighted solution, however, if you were to do a one-time charge, it would be a lot more manageable in my mind than raising property or corporate taxes.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:12 PM

A tale of two newspapers. lol

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Brodbeck is a b*tch who is never happy.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 7:18 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Brodbeck is a b*tch who is never happy.
Related?

I kid.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:11 PM
BANNED

You know, as I was typing that, I thought: someone will accuse me of this hahaha.

High five JMT

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 8:26 PM

15% non-unionized management employees to be cut at WRHA, this off course following home care worker cuts and the reorganizing and closing of ER's and Urgent Care facilities. The 15% cut also applied to MLLC and MPI in Feb., trimming the fat from these Crown corporations, they've gotten a little too top heavy. PC's have been busy.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
15% non-unionized management employees to be cut at WRHA, this off course following home care worker cuts and the reorganizing and closing of ER's and Urgent Care facilities. The 15% cut also applied to MLLC and MPI in Feb., trimming the fat from these Crown corporations, they've gotten a little too top heavy. PC's have been busy.
All in favour. But I'd target those cushier union jobs however possible.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
The union jobs are work bees mostly making $60,000 or less doing the work. The senior managers are almost all making six figures and often are political appointments. Do you cut the union guy filing the potholes on the streets or the CAO parking his Mercedes in the loading dock at city hall while he is making backroom deals with the mayor over a shell company in Arizona?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:42 PM

I don't mind the cuts and actually applaud Costa Rica Brian for getting something done. Trim the fat. Hydro's pretty much done with their cuts now. Mostly through voluntary buyouts. Some heads did role in management.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I belong to a union. I wish my job was cushy. Management is top heavy. And cushy.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:29 PM

Used to be a rep. Had enough. I was getting people off the hook when they should of been fired immediately in my opinion. Felt like a lawyer. New my client, employee in this case was guilty as sin, but I used every loophole/procedural error etc. I could find to protect said person, similar to our criminal justice system, and they would usually walk away scott free with no more than a notation of the incident in their personnel file.

Anyway, don't get me wrong though, they serve a purpose when the time comes. I've worked in the private sector as well and abuse by management was evident as well..

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The union jobs are work bees mostly making $60,000 or less doing the work. The senior managers are almost all making six figures and often are political appointments. Do you cut the union guy filing the potholes on the streets or the CAO parking his Mercedes in the loading dock at city hall while he is making backroom deals with the mayor over a shell company in Arizona?
Obviously I prefer to cut the latter, but when the workewr bees are making 60k but their private counterparts are making 50k with far less restrictive operating rules, it raises eyebrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
I belong to a union. I wish my job was cushy. Management is top heavy. And cushy.
I'm primarily referring to the mid-higher ups. I have a lot of unionized friends who wish they weren't part of one, are fed up with the regulations and the waste.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 1:20 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

CBC Manitoba
Sat. Sep. 16, 2017

Manitoba's NDP chooses Wab Kinew as new leader

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...2017-1.4291711

Wab beats Steve 700 to 200 votes.

Not happy about the list of candidates both.

Aston is an old fart, while Kinew has "skeletons in his closet", domestic abuse allegations/charges gone back years ago.

So it's really up to the Manitoba Liberals to field excellent candidates to put the NDP further back of the pack. Make sure they're out of office for a WHOLE GENERATION.

And I believe that Wab won't be leader for long or the NDP's chances of winning the next Prov. Election will not come to be. Maybe he will be a short term leader till they can "grow" a new one.

Domestic Abuse issue is important to me. I heard the yells of my Mom when I was age 3 and 4 ('69-70 and onwards). My working Dad (Janitor @ CFB Winnipeg North Base) did not want to give up more of his earnings to my stay-at-home Mom who just wanted spending money to buy us (Mom, Dad and Me) clothing from downtown Eaton's, The Bay, Woolco, Kmart, etc... I'd be trying to fall asleep and they'd be arguing at god knows what time (11 pm?) ... He'd say something quietly to her and she'd say "Frank, don't blackmail me. Frank! (I hate that name)..."Frank don't throw out my stuff, that's mine!". When I was older, like age 10 or 11 (1976-77 period) I witnessed him push her towards her dresser during the daytime.

Of course same Dad used to chase me around with his belt since I was 4 (1970). He was a Sociopath or a Psychopath or something like that. Physical and verbal abuse from my Dad didn't stop until I moved out to Biscayne Bay in McGillivray Park on Feb. 1, 1989. And then 1 month after I did move out, during another fight, Dad got his many years unused shotgun and pointed it at me in the basement. I immediately called 9-1-1 and Police took away the hunting rifle. He and also now deceased brother had "control issues". I believe his abuse also stemmed from "poverty" or more kindly said "not making ends meet". Then why have kids, let alone 3 of us?

Both are passed away now. I'm not missing either parent at all.

So, I'm not being "racist" just in case anyone says so. No, it's more to do with allegations against new NDP leader Wab Kinew and allegations he "threw" his woman partner across the floor, and other abuse issues.

Last edited by LilZebra; Sep 17, 2017 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
CBC Manitoba
Sat. Sep. 16, 2017

Manitoba's NDP chooses Wab Kinew as new leader

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...2017-1.4291711

Wab beats Steve 700 to 200 votes.

Not happy about the list of candidates both.

Aston is an old fart, while Kinew has "skeletons in his closet", domestic abuse allegations/charges gone back years ago.

So it's really up to the Manitoba Liberals to field excellent candidates to put the NDP further back of the pack. Make sure they're out of office for a WHOLE GENERATION.

And I believe that Wab won't be leader for long or the NDP's chances of winning the next Prov. Election will not come to be. Maybe he will be a short term leader till they can "grow" a new one.

Domestic Abuse issue is important to me. I heard the yells of my Mom when I was age 3 and 4 ('69-70 and onwards). My working Dad (Janitor @ CFB Winnipeg North Base) did not want to give up more of his earnings to my stay-at-home Mom who just wanted spending money to buy us (Mom, Dad and Me) clothing from downtown Eaton's, The Bay, Woolco, Kmart, etc... I'd be trying to fall asleep and they'd be arguing at god knows what time (11 pm?) ... He'd say something quietly to her and she'd say "Frank, don't blackmail me. Frank! (I hate that name)..."Frank don't throw out my stuff, that's mine!". When I was older, like age 10 or 11 (1976-77 period) I witnessed him push her towards her dresser during the daytime.

Of course same Dad used to chase me around with his belt since I was 4 (1970). He was a Sociopath or a Psychopath or something like that. Physical and verbal abuse from my Dad didn't stop until I moved out to Biscayne Bay in McGillivray Park on Feb. 1, 1989. And then 1 month after I did move out, during another fight, Dad got his many years unused shotgun and pointed it at me in the basement. I immediately called 9-1-1 and Police took away the hunting rifle. He and also now deceased brother had "control issues". I believe his abuse also stemmed from "poverty" or more kindly said "not making ends meet". Then why have kids, let alone 3 of us?

Both are passed away now. I'm not missing either parent at all.

So, I'm not being "racist" just in case anyone says so. No, it's more to do with allegations against new NDP leader Wab Kinew and allegations he "threw" his woman partner across the floor, and other abuse issues.
Did Kinew not have two domestic abuse allegations, or am I mistaken? I don't know about him as a leader:

-punching a cab driver out
-DUI
-resisting arrest
-cashing stolen cheques
-judgement of default (2015) for tickets

I can understand everyone deserves a second chance, but when do you draw the line? What are the odds of Kinew getting in some kind of legal trouble from now until the 2020 election, or worse, once he is elected?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:31 AM

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:49 AM

They say that "the world is run by psychopaths".

I guess, in the case of Wab, it must be true.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 5:30 PM
BANNED

I checked out a couple of Wab's hip hop video's from 2009-10 on YouTube, and went to that new site http://wabon.ca. I would not want a man like that representing Manitoba.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 5:37 PM

Meanwhile, Pallister is doing a shitty job. Looks like the next provincial election will be a tough one. At least Kinew has a few years to make people forget about his checkered past. Or at least throw the zombie of Sellinger out of the party, physically.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 5:41 PM

Obamacare Manitoba version?

Is the healthcare "premiums" thing that Pallister is proposing, just a "Made in Manitoba" version of Obamacare?

I haven't done any reading up on it, as it was just proposed this past week.

Not something I would support, but I wouldn't "vote NDP" with psycho. guy as leader to stop it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan