HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sheer speculation here, but if there is one single interchange that still goes forward in the next couple of years surely it would have to be this one as the bang for the buck would be huge. It's a busy and dangerous intersection, and all that's planned is a measly diamond interchange.
I feel like some kind of single-point urban interchange type of thing with the Perimeter passing over McGillvary would work pretty well in this case. Same kind of interchange could also work well at St. Mary's and St. Anne's.

Not gonna hold my breath tho as Winnipeg has yet to even build a basic diamond at this point.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 1:22 PM

When there's room like there should be on the Perimeter, going with a normal diamond is preferable. Bridge geometry is simplified. Usually the urban ones have funny curved or angled pieces, depending on the layout. Funny angles and such are more expensive than straight box girders.

The urban thing is for tight urban spaces, as the name outlines.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegGuy15 View Post
Not gonna hold my breath tho as Winnipeg has yet to even build a basic diamond at this point.
Bishop + Pembina is pretty close to a diamond design with Bishop being the free flowing route.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:34 PM

That is a parclo (patrial cloverleaf). Remove the loops and it'd be a diamond. Parclo is a higher level of service as the two routes using the ramps wont need to stop and turn left to access the freeway.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:37 PM

So on that note, what is the intersection in Winnipeg most in need of grade separation (i.e. without requiring some kind of massive reconstruction to accommodate it)? To my mind, the candidates would be:

-Henderson and CPT
-Bishop Grandin and St. Mary's Road
-Bishop Grandin and River Road
-McGillivray and Kenaston
-Lagimodiere and Regent
-Lagimodiere and Fermor

Some of those would require fairly large interchanges, but I think a simple diamond at Bishop and River would offer pretty awesome bang for the buck.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:43 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
So on that note, what is the intersection in Winnipeg most in need of grade separation (i.e. without requiring some kind of massive reconstruction to accommodate it)? To my mind, the candidates would be:

-Henderson and CPT
-Lagimodiere and Regent
-Lagimodiere and Fermor

Some of those would require fairly large interchanges, but I think a simple diamond at Bishop and River would offer pretty awesome bang for the buck.
I'd say some variation of a diamond for all except fermor and Lagimodiere which will require free-flowing capabilities in all directions.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 3:44 PM

The River road one would be the cheapest and easiest. Would also clear that intersection so Bishop would have a long stretch from Waverley to St. Marys that would be free flow. Henderson would be second easiest as they have land for a parclo set aside.

All the rest of those are really tough ones. McGillivray would likely be the 'easiest'. Fermor maybe too, but would be super large. The Regent one especially will be real tough. There is no room there for much of anything. Will require extensive retaining walls, etc. We've discussed this one before and how the City potentially is/has planned to lower Lag through the area to Reenders. Extensive reconstruction as you mentioned.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 4:59 PM

Quote:

-Henderson and CPT
-Lagimodiere and Regent
-Lagimodiere and Fermor

Personally I would completely cross River to cross traffic and eliminate the light. North on River to east on Bishop, head west to the Bishop+Pembina intersection, exit to Pembina, cross the bridge and access east bound Bishop. South River to west Bishop - use the existing U-turn on east bound Bishop about 1 KM east. Total cost - near zero. Impact to people that don't use River -- huge.

If they did that and built out grade separation at Bishop+Waverly you would have a nice long free flowing run.

Bishop+St Marys and Lag+Regent would both be hugely complicated designs. We aren't talking about just one intersection at either of those. St Marys, Dakota and Bishop need to be looked at as a single entity for grade separation. The land constraints and access needs suggest Bishop would be raised (or sunk). The approach angles either way would seem to infringe on the Dakota intersection. You could likely do a single access road running over Dakota for right turns on St Marys but also split traffic off to a diamond for Dakota.

Lag+Regent is a complete mess. The only option would seem to be to raise Lag. Sinking Lag is not an option due to the rail crossing. Handling left turns regardless of how it is down will be an issue due to the limited space. It would also need to take into account Reenders and the rail overpass.

In terms of easy fixes, I think one the city should be looking at now is Waverly+Wilkes. It is a bottle neck currently separate from the train tracks. We are spending millions to "fix" the issue at the train tracks to only have a bottle neck almost immediately south. A simple Wilkes fly-over and pushing Waverly under would effectively address that point and hopefully work towards solving some of the traffic issues in those areas by getting vehicles onto more streets quickly that stacking up on Wilkes waiting for traffic lights.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In terms of easy fixes, I think one the city should be looking at now is Waverly+Wilkes. It is a bottle neck currently separate from the train tracks. We are spending millions to "fix" the issue at the train tracks to only have a bottle neck almost immediately south. A simple Wilkes fly-over and pushing Waverly under would effectively address that point and hopefully work towards solving some of the traffic issues in those areas by getting vehicles onto more streets quickly that stacking up on Wilkes waiting for traffic lights.
The underpass project also includes a complete redesign of the wilkes/waverley intersection. Additional thru lanes and turn lanes in each direction. It's no different than Kenaston going under the rail line and having a light at taylor.

For the cost, I don't think you'd gain much with a flyover; more traffic on wilkes is turning onto waverley (NB or SB) than straight thru to Hurst

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 5:41 PM

All of these ideas will be great to forward on to the City during the ring road study, which is supposed to be coming next year.

Since the City has been on a path to better consult with residents through workshops and open houses, we will all have a chance to provide real input to the City. They know a lot of the issues already and have ideas of how to fix it. But when they come up with a solid plan, we can all provide our input. I would say leave Waverley and make Kenaston free flow. Better connectivity into the Polo Park area. Waverley basically dead ends at Grant, so people need to disperse elsewhere from there.

I think long, long term, there is opportunity with Waverely. You could upgrade as an expressway to Pembina via Grant Ave. Already lots of space on Grant. Get through the residential block from Taylor to Grant and you're golden. Long, long term and expensive of course.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
All of these ideas will be great to forward on to the City during the ring road study, which is supposed to be coming next year.

Since the City has been on a path to better consult with residents through workshops and open houses, we will all have a chance to provide real input to the City. They know a lot of the issues already and have ideas of how to fix it. But when they come up with a solid plan, we can all provide our input. I would say leave Waverley and make Kenaston free flow. Better connectivity into the Polo Park area. Waverley basically dead ends at Grant, so people need to disperse elsewhere from there.
If the focus is on the ring road then most of what needs to be done on Kennaston is effectively completed. I can't recall exactly where the fork is going from Kennaston to the ring road but it is definitely south of Sterling Lyon and might even be south of Scurfield.

In terms of the ring road, if the city starts doing grade separations it needs to look at all four sides -- Bishop, Lag, CPT and the route 90 replacement route. A good starting point might be to hit those four corners and build from there with a focus on getting long free flowing sections. Also when I say focus on all four routes that doesn't mean build grade separation on Lag for Sage Creek and Bishop for Island Lakes around the same time, more like grade separate Bishop+St Marys and CPT+Main around the same time. This can't be viewed as only being a south end project. Also lots of the west and north legs are going to be net new builds.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 9:30 PM

Another place I see the need for grade separation is Lag at Dugald/Marion. I avoid that stretch of road at all costs during rush hour.

If they complete the Marion Widening project then there could be one grade separation at Dugald, then a right in/out at Marion and Dawson.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:23 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegGuy15 View Post
Another place I see the need for grade separation is Lag at Dugald/Marion. I avoid that stretch of road at all costs during rush hour.

If they complete the Marion Widening project then there could be one grade separation at Dugald, then a right in/out at Marion and Dawson.
The thing is though, I think they should re-align traffic off of Marion to Dugald, which should be the overall plan anyway that should continue to go forward.

That grade separated interchange on Archibald and Marion was definitely too much to handle though.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:49 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:

-Lagimodiere and Fermor

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.85594...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Would require getting rid of the Petro Canada station and that building across the street. Also a major Hyrdo line would have to be moved.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 4:12 AM

Not sure when the city releases its annual list of roads to be resurfaced...but does anybody know if that donkey path Plessis road will finally get some attention this year? Aside from the literal bump track section northbound between Sanford Fleming and Devonshire ..there's a pothole NB just before Gunn that's probably the worst I've ever hit.

How this crumbling street has been ignored by the city for so long is beyond me.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Not sure when the city releases its annual list of roads to be resurfaced...but does anybody know if that donkey path Plessis road will finally get some attention this year? Aside from the literal bump track section northbound between Sanford Fleming and Devonshire ..there's a pothole NB just before Gunn that's probably the worst I've ever hit.

How this crumbling street has been ignored by the city for so long is beyond me.
East of the Red River isn't a priority to City Hall.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:

EKT Community committee IIIRC last fall asked the administration for a report on the road condition.

As for the pothole call it in to 311 if you have not done so already. If nobody calls them in it takes forever for the patching crews to do a drive by patch as I believe call ins get priority for the crews.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Not sure when the city releases its annual list of roads to be resurfaced...but does anybody know if that donkey path Plessis road will finally get some attention this year?
http://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/const...-Locations.pdf

According to this, nothing happening on Plessis this year

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 3:15 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
http://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/const...-Locations.pdf

According to this, nothing happening on Plessis this year
Is Plessis considered a local street?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 3:30 PM

The last page has regional streets, which I assume is what Plessis is. The list has everything from regional street reconstruction to back lane renewals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan