HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I know what he means. But every single team goes through the same thing. Sure there's some tough stretches.

If you look back at the article (not sure what thread it was in) on Maurices second tenure in Carolina, exact same thing. Oh our schedule is too tough. Really?

Maybe it's just me. I'm growing weary of Maurice and his excuses.
No, not really. Jets set a record this year for most games played in a 30 day stretch.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:43 PM

Enstroms out with concussion.

Maybe call up Comrie to give him some time. Judging by the depth at forward, my opinion is we won't see anyone called up this year. Maybe for a game or two at the end. Jets will never admit they are out of it until it's official. That's when we might see some action. They have Petan riding the pine right now in favour of Thorburn. That would be the only moves they'll make, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
No, not really. Jets set a record this year for most games played in a 30 day stretch.
And then they get time off to make up for it. It would be interesting to see a comparison of wins and losses during the various stretches.

Maurice has had the same narrative all the way back to his Carolina days. Excuses but not results.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:49 PM

Well, they not be saying anything officially, but the math has been done and they can only afford to lose two or three of their remaining games. So ...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:51 PM

There's something wrong when the Penguins can call up a brainless goon who takes out the smallest guy on the ice with a concussion. He gets 4 games but the Penguins don't need him anyway. The guy should be banned permanently.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
And then they get time off to make up for it. It would be interesting to see a comparison of wins and losses during the various stretches.

Maurice has had the same narrative all the way back to his Carolina days. Excuses but not results.
Everybody got the same 5 days off without a game.

The schedule has never been nice to the Jets. But at some point you have to deal with it. I'd take that as more plausible if the jets were 1 game back.

They need to grab a decent vet goalie ( bishop, howard, miller) in the offseason, and Maurice has to stop with the line churn.

We're an offensive powerhouse - if we had a decent backend/goaltending combo we'd be fighting for division lead right now.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
There's something wrong when the Penguins can call up a brainless goon who takes out the smallest guy on the ice with a concussion. He gets 4 games but the Penguins don't need him anyway. The guy should be banned permanently.
Agreed. It is embarrassing that you can even use that strategy in the modern day NHL... Pure bush league.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 7:06 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ The suspension is bullshit. The way to punish Pittsburgh is to force them to play with Sestito on Crosby's line for 10 games.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 10:32 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
His career is pretty much done in the NHL. Unless Pittsburgh will continue to let him fill in a roster spot to "serve" his suspension so that he may be useful in other games for the rest of the regular season, he's going back to the AHL and continue to play hockey as if nothing happened.

There's no way that the other NHL teams in the league will sign this guy, once his contract with Pittsburgh is finished.

He'll be playing with the other ex-NHL "has-beens" in Europe or Russia in the near future, if he decides to continue to play hockey.

Pittsburgh accomplished their mission by retaliating with this massive hit, because we took out two of their top 4 d-men in the previous game with them, and they wanted to protect Geno, but at the expense of Toby, who now has a concussion.

I hope the Penguins organization and their fans are happy. They should be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars for that. Just because they accused us as being bullies, they have to retaliate?

Fine then. Since we're not getting any respect around the league, we might as well earn it in other ways.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:23 PM

So Byfuglien took another penalty in overtime that led to the winning goal. Apparently it was his league-leading 37th minor penalty. It's always hooking or holding. Last year in the stretch the Jets showed a lot of character and had a good record to close out the season even though they were out of it. This year, not so much.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
It's not like they play well when rested and fresh, though. "We play more games" is getting to be a pretty tired excuse...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:54 AM

Was at the Jets/Islanders game at the Barclays Center. Umm... yay, we won.

Be ever so thankful for the MTS Centre. Barclays is one bizarre arena. A huge number of seats with genuinely obstructed views, staff who have no idea and an arena in Brooklyn, of all places, that does not serve pepperoni pizza? WTF???

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Was at the Jets/Islanders game at the Barclays Center. Umm... yay, we won.

Be ever so thankful for the MTS Centre. Barclays is one bizarre arena. A huge number of seats with genuinely obstructed views, staff who have no idea and an arena in Brooklyn, of all places, that does not serve pepperoni pizza? WTF???
Ive been to 7 NHL arenas (5 being in Canada) and mts , aside from rogers place holds a candle to all of them. Concourses are equally cramped at rogers arena..maybe worse.

The building looks phenomenal really. Could have an advertisement sold on every corner of the building like the ever so tacky ACC. Winnipeg is lucky to have MTS

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:33 PM

Now if we only had a hockey team to go in it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Now if we only had a hockey team to go in it.
There are two of them! Or is it the fact that they're both languishing near the bottom of the standings that you have a beef with?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 5:02 PM

yeah, they've both been playing like the Washington Generals all season so I figured they weren't real.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 9:11 PM

Went to the Canucks game in December vs the Jets. I was very disappointed with the turnout and the overall atmosphere. It was really lacking. My friends told me that Vancouver I should have been there during the playoff race. My response was that the fans should support their team regardless. They followed with BC fans are always bandwagon Jumpers regardless of the sport.

I hope Winnipeg isn't included in that train. I have noticed a lot of Empty seats the last few games I have watched. I hope the love for the team doesn't die off so easily.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 9:26 PM

I don't think it 's the love. I think it's the situation the team is in. No goaltending a coach who continually messes up the lines. Laine not playing the top line PP minutes (see last game he actually scored!!!) Shit like that. I have 3 tix for Vancouver game this weekend. I'll be there, but am sure it will be dead in the building. Not much fun it Jets town these days.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 9:30 PM

^ 6 years of relative mediocrity. I don't think you'll find many people who have turned their backs on the team, but I would say that demand for tickets on the resale market has softened a bit, hence the empty seats that occasionally pop up these days.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ 6 years of relative mediocrity. I don't think you'll find many people who have turned their backs on the team, but I would say that demand for tickets on the resale market has softened a bit, hence the empty seats that occasionally pop up these days.
It really does suck to see Toronto looking at a play off race year one with Mathews and jets 10 points out year 1 with Laine.

Mcdavid in Edmonton
Gaudreau in Calgary
Mathews in Toronto
Laine in Winnipeg

Exciting time for Canadian hockey but I really would have liked to see 6 of 7 in this year. Canada really has some superstars but the Jets are the only ones that cant seem to convert.....next year?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan