HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:15 PM

Way off topic. But on the Higgins thing. The City has plans for all of that actually. Well they have some kind of plans anyways. But they wanted to have both a new Higgins bridge at its current location AND a new bridge over the red heading east to connect Higgins with Nairn. It would actually connect to a realigned Nairn Ave south of the current Nairn Overpass.

They want Waterfront Drive extended all the way to almost the tip of Point Douglas. Higgins would be relocated form its current position in PD northwards closer to the CP rail line.

Rapid Transit should run through St. Boniface though, for best connectivity.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They are working with the current Construction Manager to complete the construction. I would assume if a new owner would take over they would have the option to pursue a new CM. I am not sure why you would change that now, as long as everyone is getting paid - keep going.
Thanks. So Sandhu's former CM is now working for the bank? Interesting turn of events for him/her I guess, bit of an eyebrow raiser on the resume.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
Thanks. So Sandhu's former CM is now working for the bank? Interesting turn of events for him/her I guess, bit of an eyebrow raiser on the resume.
Yes, the CM is from Toronto and had a hell of a time working for Sandhu. I'm sure things are going fairly smooth now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Yes, the CM is from Toronto and had a hell of a time working for Sandhu. I'm sure things are going fairly smooth now.
Yeah, must be nice working for people who have a good grasp on finances but are unlikely to stick their nose into technical / scheduling matters.

I would think it's unusual for a bank to try to sell a project during construction. I assume there's a lot of risk involved on the part of the perspective buyers when it comes to due diligence regarding percent of work completed vs. cost to complete remaining work.

It'll be interesting to see if there are any takers before the building is completed. Then again, I guess the bank isn't really in the construction business so they might be motivated to sell, making for a possible bargain.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
It'll be interesting to see if there are any takers before the building is completed. Then again, I guess the bank isn't really in the construction business so they might be motivated to sell, making for a possible bargain.
I would love, love, love it if Fortress buys this. Brains would explode.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakbluffMB View Post
I would love, love, love it if Fortress buys this. Brains would explode.
That would be absolutely hilarious.

Even more funny when the bank takes over. Again! Or Fortress "partners" with someone else once it gets hairy lol!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^That is still the plan for Union Station. It will become the main pedestrian entrance to The Forks. The lot to the north of it will become a parkade (hopefully with main floor retail). This is in the 5-10 year plan for The Forks and the city. Once the East Transitway gets going, they'll start working on the Union Station connection.
Awesome.
The BRT - Union Station connection / overhaul / development will make the area amazing. Its already pretty great that the new bike lanes are going in on Garry and Fort (I can't remember which plan they chose?) and with developments like D Condo and that newer building (300 Assininboine) going in its getting more concentrated.

Does anyone know if all BRT dedicated routes are still made to be easily convertible to rail (I think has to do with the curves / grading of most of the dedicated lanes). I thought that was a great call but read about it probably almost 10 years ago so no idea if they've gotten more short sighted as of late.

LRT was best option IMO but 100% understand that it was probably a bit ambitious at the time - the 'BRT for now but designed with future LRT standards' seemed like a good compromise.

Trying to maintain connection to the topic - I think if Union Station does become the hub of improved metro transit the area is going to live up to the grandeur of Broadways giant wide streets and whoever takes on D Condo will be LAUGHING.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Awesome.
The BRT - Union Station connection / overhaul / development will make the area amazing. Its already pretty great that the new bike lanes are going in on Garry and Fort (I can't remember which plan they chose?) and with developments like D Condo and that newer building (300 Assininboine) going in its getting more concentrated.

Does anyone know if all BRT dedicated routes are still made to be easily convertible to rail (I think has to do with the curves / grading of most of the dedicated lanes). I thought that was a great call but read about it probably almost 10 years ago so no idea if they've gotten more short sighted as of late.

LRT was best option IMO but 100% understand that it was probably a bit ambitious at the time - the 'BRT for now but designed with future LRT standards' seemed like a good compromise.

Trying to maintain connection to the topic - I think if Union Station does become the hub of improved metro transit the area is going to live up to the grandeur of Broadways giant wide streets and whoever takes on D Condo will be LAUGHING.
Yes it is being designed to accommodate future LRT design. There are maximums for gradients and curvature. This likely will not happen for a very long time. The City and Province have no money for anything.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post

Be a long time before we see LRT of any sort. If they were serious the rails would already be embedded in the concrete.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 8:07 PM

Taken from the convention centre

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
Taken from the convention centre

Nice shot. How many more floors to go?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:53 PM

Current off-topic discussion moved to Western Expresso

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:29 PM

^^I caught a similar glimpse of dCondo this morning from the skywalk between Millennium Library and City Place. Neat to see how these building peak out from different vantage points. dCondo will be quite prominent on the skyline in that area, much like 300 Ass.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 6:44 PM

Dcondo is also highly visible from memorial park, a cool vantage point in an area that doesn't have a whole lot of new buildings to look at

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Would be nice to see something similar replacing the lot beside the ugly addition to the former Free Press building on Carlton/Ellice.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Would be nice to see something similar replacing the lot beside the ugly addition to the former Free Press building on Carlton/Ellice.
Convincing people to pony up big dollars to live right behind Portage Place strikes me as a pretty tough sell, but then again, Glasshouse seems to have sold well and it's not that far away.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Convincing people to pony up big dollars to live right behind Portage Place strikes me as a pretty tough sell, but then again, Glasshouse seems to have sold well and it's not that far away.
The glasshouse also sold well because TNS, 300M, and SkyCity weren't yet a thing... not sure it would stand a chance if it were just getting in the ground now...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:03 PM

Looks like they've raised the crane. Is that the final height for it? What's the floor count right now - 18? I never walk near enough to count those lower floors.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 11:41 PM

^ Like an iceberg floating into the Bro-Ass sea of beige and brown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 1:02 AM

From the looks of it right now, might be the first project in a long time here to actually look exactly like the render. Kudos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan